Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #281

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ditikolon View Post
    Consider 40D? Get it 2nd hand if you can't find it in the shops.
    Weight is the issue there, as is the 10MP resolution. I'm really disappointed with Canon's ergonomics on its 1000D/450D/500D bodies. Maybe I'll just buy the 450D, put up with it, and stop complaining...unless anybody can swing me towards Nikon's lenses. From the reading I've done, their best lenses don't have VR. A real shame.
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 9th May 2009 at 07:47 PM.

  2. #282
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    For the 12bit vs 14bit issue, perhaps you should ask someone with such a camera to take 2 exact-same pictures at 12bit and 14bit, then you try to differentiate them on your screen. I seriously doubt you can.

    If you prefer Nikon's ergonomics, I would seriously encourage you to go in that direction. No point having a camera which you don't enjoy holding and operating.
    To me, ergonomics is #1.

    As for lenses, I think the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a pretty darn good option for value-for-money, compared with the Nikkor 17-55.
    VR is important I guess, but at this focal range, hand-shake is less of a factor than at 80, 100, 150, 200mm.
    Hold the camera properly, and a shot at 35mm at about 1/30s exhibits no hand-shake whatsoever. Any slower and you begin to introduce movement of the subject if that is a person or animal.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #283

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Weight is the issue there, as is the 10MP resolution. I'm really disappointed with Canon's ergonomics on its 1000D/450D/500D bodies. Maybe I'll just buy the 450D, put up with it, and stop complaining...unless anybody can swing me towards Nikon's lenses. From the reading I've done, they're best lenses don't have VR. A real shame.
    70-200 f2.8 not VR meh?
    18-200 VR
    18-105 VR
    70-300 VR
    55-200 VR
    18-55 VR
    80-400 VR
    24-120 VR

    anyway VR is not that impt ...it mere reduces stops by 2-3. with todays technology, this can be easilly done with higher ISO.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  4. #284

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Weight is the issue there, as is the 10MP resolution. I'm really disappointed with Canon's ergonomics on its 1000D/450D/500D bodies. Maybe I'll just buy the 450D, put up with it, and stop complaining...unless anybody can swing me towards Nikon's lenses. From the reading I've done, they're best lenses don't have VR. A real shame.
    Get the 500D with grip....Canon's lenses are worth investing. the newer IS lenses have 4-5 stop image stabilization which is very good. Eg. 70-200F4LIS has 4 stop IS ability.

    At the moment, I personally feel that the 500D is the best price/features camera.

  5. #285
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    lol, same thought as me.
    canon xxxd got the worst ergonomic grip in entry level segment.

    I suggest you go for nikon d90 if 40d/50d is overbudget.

  6. #286

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    70-200 f2.8 not VR meh?
    18-200 VR
    18-105 VR
    70-300 VR
    55-200 VR
    18-55 VR
    80-400 VR
    24-120 VR

    anyway VR is not that impt ...it mere reduces stops by 2-3. with todays technology, this can be easilly done with higher ISO.
    What I meant by my earlier statement was that I couldn't seem to find the same lenses from Nikon in terms of focal range, aperture and image stabilisation. The 18-55 VR you listed is the closest but the aperture is f/3.5-5.6. With Canon I get a constant aperture of f/2.8 and image stabilisation. I want image stabilisation to be able to hand hold some shots and use lower ISO (and therefore lower noise).
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 9th May 2009 at 07:49 PM.

  7. #287

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Get the 500D with grip....Canon's lenses are worth investing. the newer IS lenses have 4-5 stop image stabilization which is very good. Eg. 70-200F4LIS has 4 stop IS ability.

    At the moment, I personally feel that the 500D is the best price/features camera.
    The grip only benefits ergonomics when you hold it 90% rotated for portrait-style shots, right?

  8. #288

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    any freebies to go along with it?

    1 yr ago I got mine at 1.3k...now drop till 900 liao..
    Yes, that's a sad thing when a product becomes DIGITIZED....

    Look at TV, Videocam, Cameras, Mobile Phones, Music Players....when they become digital, it gets updated almost every other months, which makes them no value at all...

  9. #289

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    The grip only benefits ergonomics when you hold it 90% rotated for portrait-style shots, right?

    Actually I was in the same fate as you. Had been aiming 450d for the longest time before it disappoint me with it's grip.

    Actually I do find D90 is very suitable for you, and I believe Nikkor 17-55F2.8 is as good as Canon's counterpart. VR or not should not be too critical as 55mm is not too long to handle.

    And I believe VR version should be coming soon for their 17-55.

    If you want budget, Tamron 17-50F2.8 is a good option, though without VR but it's at least half cheaper than Canon/Nikon ones.

  10. #290

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Weight is the issue there, as is the 10MP resolution. I'm really disappointed with Canon's ergonomics on its 1000D/450D/500D bodies. Maybe I'll just buy the 450D, put up with it, and stop complaining...unless anybody can swing me towards Nikon's lenses. From the reading I've done, their best lenses don't have VR. A real shame.
    Heyer negligible weight difference lar. Take it from me! I initially bought 400D because of the small size, but attach a 17-40L or worse, 70-200F2.8 to it and it's not comfortable to shoot at all. Mount a flash and it's worse. So I had to buy a battery grip for it.

    I finally switched over to 30D because the feel of a semi-pro DSLR is just different. The shutter isn't clickety clack noisy, and there's the control dial which really makes it so convenient to shoot. Not to mention higher flash sync speed and more custom functions. Plus my lenses balance so much better, grip or without grip.

    A 40D + 17-55/2.8 IS would be good for you. Oh, and get a flash too.

  11. #291
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    15pgs still no buying.....

  12. #292
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    to TS:
    you know... the longer you drag out this issue of 12bit vs 14bit, VR/IS vs none, etc etc, I can't help but feel that the greater the pressure will be on you to produce WOW images.

    Photography is meant to be enjoyed, not dissected to this extent.

    I can't wait for you to get your DSLR and to see your postings in the galleries section.
    Exploring! :)

  13. #293

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ditikolon View Post
    Heyer negligible weight difference lar. Take it from me! I initially bought 400D because of the small size, but attach a 17-40L or worse, 70-200F2.8 to it and it's not comfortable to shoot at all. Mount a flash and it's worse. So I had to buy a battery grip for it.

    I finally switched over to 30D because the feel of a semi-pro DSLR is just different. The shutter isn't clickety clack noisy, and there's the control dial which really makes it so convenient to shoot. Not to mention higher flash sync speed and more custom functions. Plus my lenses balance so much better, grip or without grip.

    A 40D + 17-55/2.8 IS would be good for you. Oh, and get a flash too.
    Agree...I recently changed system and now using Canon 40D + Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8 + 580 EX2 Flash for my weddng.
    A sample of it which I just posted in Multiply...

    http://photique.multiply.com/photos/album/78#3

    I have no regret...

  14. #294

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    to TS:
    you know... the longer you drag out this issue of 12bit vs 14bit, VR/IS vs none, etc etc, I can't help but feel that the greater the pressure will be on you to produce WOW images.

    Photography is meant to be enjoyed, not dissected to this extent.

    I can't wait for you to get your DSLR and to see your postings in the galleries section.
    Lol, everybody is going to tell me how bad my pictures are...I can't even take decent photos with my P&S. But I'm determined to learn

  15. #295
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Weight is the issue there, as is the 10MP resolution. I'm really disappointed with Canon's ergonomics on its 1000D/450D/500D bodies. Maybe I'll just buy the 450D, put up with it, and stop complaining...unless anybody can swing me towards Nikon's lenses. From the reading I've done, their best lenses don't have VR. A real shame.
    You mentioned this will be your first camera, having waited for so long until the 500d.
    hmm.. affordability aside, are you really buying the top lenses in either cam?
    if not, they should not bother you.
    And if you've set your sights on those top lenses (doesn not matter which cam), you would have bought you camera ages ago.
    And if you are looking at those L lenses and taking a long process to even start with 500d. Don't you think you might wanna think about higher models like 5D Mkii? or D3? or A900?

  16. #296
    Member MumSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Temasek Island
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Me, auntie a newbie just bought my D90 less then a week. I dont know much about all kind of terms in anyhow or anyway about lens and others. But quote to the forum to ask what is best for me and i set my budget and just go for it. Have no regret! Cos what i want is to enjoy shooting and playing around with my new toy. I ll continue to read, shoot and read ppl comments to improve.

    Since u know what u want, go go go ..... u should hold your own cam and enjoy...

    hope this will not turn to pg 16 lol...

  17. #297

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    I guess if I like the 450D as a camera but just don't like the ergonomics of it, I could consider a battery grip. Is there any advantage ergonomically to a battery grip when using in normal orientation (not portrait orientation)? My main problem with the ergonomics of the 450D is the grip doesn't protrude far enough from the body and my fingers hit the body with nowhere to go, but also my little finger keeps slipping off the camera completely!

  18. #298

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    I guess if I like the 450D as a camera but just don't like the ergonomics of it, I could consider a battery grip. Is there any advantage ergonomically to a battery grip when using in normal orientation (not portrait orientation)? My main problem with the ergonomics of the 450D is the grip doesn't protrude far enough from the body and my fingers hit the body with nowhere to go, but also my little finger keeps slipping off the camera completely!
    then u probably wont be enjoy 450D..

    get smth bigger. 40D or d90.
    u worry too much.. with d90 i can safely shoot @ iso3200 without too much worry of noise. at least not in 3R-4R photos!. in the past above iso 800 was unbearable to me. now its 3200 thats like 5-6 stops...vr or not it about know ur camera and what it can do given the situation.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  19. #299

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Wow!! long thread!! I am an old newbie to digital photography too. Being old I have learned that technology keeps changing (improving). Your wishlist today will be realised tomorrow.So the question is are you going to keep on wishing?? There is no such thing as ideal deal at any given budget. Major makers like Nikon and Canon have enough lenses and bodies to satisfied ALL needs at a given price and what user wishes for will be realised in time...remember this is an expensive hobby if you need to have the best(ideal)..Looking back there were countless great shots produced by much much lesser equipment compared with today's standard. So it simply suggested that skill and an eye for subject is still paramount. So get yourself started with your pre determined budget and spend along the way. I would spend on better lens than body if I were you. good luck

  20. #300
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    to use an IT analogy (since TS is in the IT industry), it's like worrying about whether a 320GB or 500GB hard-drive will be sufficient as a storage medium, and by the time a decision is made, a 1.5TB drive is already out in the market. Then we carry on with another 15 pages of debate on cost vs benefit...
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •