Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #261

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Finally. you have firmly decide on a canon. looks like my D90 isnt strong enough to pull you to the dark side! but anyway. do quickly buy the camera of ur choice. looking forward to see ur pictures!
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  2. #262

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    haha i knew u are more towards canon from the beginning!.
    enjoy ur camera 450D is a gd buy...spend less on camera/more on lens.
    camera price drop like lehman brothers. lens price (gd ones) dun drop
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  3. #263

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    Finally. you have firmly decide on a canon. looks like my D90 isnt strong enough to pull you to the dark side! but anyway. do quickly buy the camera of ur choice. looking forward to see ur pictures!
    Your D90 is a very tempting option...I actually prefer it to the 450D in many ways. But at the end of the day (for me), it's a bit heavier, I get extra colour depth and tonal range with the Canon, and Canon's lenses are more in line with my future ambitions. I personally think Nikon makes better walkaround lenses for their crop bodies at this point in time (that damn 17-85 IS USM lens is due for replacement, it's showing its age), but I think being such a perfectionist I probably wouldn't be happy with a walkaround lens anyway. And things like top LCD display, better viewfinder, ergonomics, build quality and FPS are nice but nothing I *need* right now.

    Still looking at prices. Can somebody confirm if the quotes I got on the Canon body in the last page are good or if I should keep looking? Repeated below:

    E-quote from Cathay Photo for the 450D is $881.10 (GST inc.).
    E-quote from MS Color for the 450D is $881.61 (GST inc.)
    Both include 8GB memory (probably not the fastest) and camera bag (whatever that is).
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 7th May 2009 at 08:43 AM.

  4. #264

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Let me share my buying experience for my first DSLR (now on 2nd one)

    1) I looked at my bank account. 1.5k Ho say liao.

    2) I go to a shop.

    3) Asked for cheapest Canon and Nikon at the time.

    4) Hold Canon
    Hold Nikon

    One feels like cheap plastic toy compared to the other. (I wont say which brand)

    5) Play controls on both Cameras.

    One feels like engineers and marketing dept had too much say in it.(Print button on a camera? o come on) The other, yes, the designer is a photographer.

    6) The uncle at the counter say, this brand 90% of business is only cameras and lens. this other one sells everything under the sun.

    7) And he added "Come on, in my time, the only Japanese camera a young man wants is THIS Brand. Uncle is in his 40s.

    So I paid $1250 for everything plus a kit lens and a sd card and a bag.

    Well, thats how i bought my first DSLR

    This is part 2 of the story! http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512712

  5. #265
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    ddd
    Come on this is very unfair to N$k#n b'cos this thread is abt bad service which is very ppl oriented & attitude but nothin to do with the Brand.

    Hope this will not start another 7 pages of

    What a crazy world
    Last edited by DrSpock; 7th May 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Attach previous quote

  6. #266
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Your D90 is a very tempting option...I actually prefer it to the 450D in many ways. But at the end of the day (for me), it's a bit heavier, I get extra colour depth and tonal range with the Canon, and Canon's lenses are more in line with my future ambitions. I personally think Nikon makes better walkaround lenses for their crop bodies at this point in time (that damn 17-85 IS USM lens is due for replacement, it's showing its age), but I think being such a perfectionist I probably wouldn't be happy with a walkaround lens anyway. And things like top LCD display, better viewfinder, ergonomics, build quality and FPS are nice but nothing I *need* right now.

    Still looking at prices. Can somebody confirm if the quotes I got on the Canon body in the last page are good or if I should keep looking? Repeated below:

    E-quote from Cathay Photo for the 450D is $881.10 (GST inc.).
    E-quote from MS Color for the 450D is $881.61 (GST inc.)
    Both include 8GB memory (probably not the fastest) and camera bag (whatever that is).

    any freebies to go along with it?

    1 yr ago I got mine at 1.3k...now drop till 900 liao..

  7. #267

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    any freebies to go along with it?

    1 yr ago I got mine at 1.3k...now drop till 900 liao..
    Just an 8GB memory card and a Canon bag...no idea what type of bag it is.

  8. #268
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Just an 8GB memory card and a Canon bag...no idea what type of bag it is.
    did u ask them if u dun want both items, got further discount?

  9. #269

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    did u ask them if u dun want both items, got further discount?
    No, they said it was a free offer from Canon. Said the last day to claim the free gift was 10th March. Sounds like a manufacturer promotion.

  10. #270
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    No, they said it was a free offer from Canon. Said the last day to claim the free gift was 10th March. Sounds like a manufacturer promotion.
    if u seriously gonna get the 450D, molo just call up a few more shops n further check on their pricing...if the price is rite, just get it..cos cam body price more or less are the same.

  11. #271

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    if u seriously gonna get the 450D, molo just call up a few more shops n further check on their pricing...if the price is rite, just get it..cos cam body price more or less are the same.
    Yep. I'm finding that second hand prices on the forums here are ridiculously high. People are simply asking far too much.

    I'll probably get the body new. I'm still looking for a good second hand EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM lens.

  12. #272

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    ddd
    Come on this is very unfair to N$k#n b'cos this thread is abt bad service which is very ppl oriented & attitude but nothin to do with the Brand.

    Hope this will not start another 7 pages of flame

    What a crazy world
    A lot of people forget about after sales which is dead important. I want a team of professional to back me up on my equipment when it for whatever reasons did not perform up to expectation. Will always want a service centre that always delights me!

  13. #273
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    A lot of people forget about after sales which is dead important. I want a team of professional to back me up on my equipment when it for whatever reasons did not perform up to expectation. Will always want a service centre that always delights me!
    My experiences with NSC and CSC are literally ........... against ....
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  14. #274
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    My experiences with NSC and CSC are literally ........... against ....
    Ha ha ha. I like it! May the Force be with you always

  15. #275

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    E-quote from Cathay Photo for the 450D is $881.10 (GST inc.).
    E-quote from MS Color for the 450D is $881.61 (GST inc.)
    Both include 8GB memory (probably not the fastest) and camera bag (whatever that is).

    Do these prices seem reasonable or should I keep looking?

    A lot of comedians on the second hand forums asking for $800 and higher for their second hand 450D bodies. For the sake of an extra $80, I'll get a new one thank you very much :P

    Also looks like these camera shops just have a 'best price' for each item and don't make things progressively cheaper the more items you buy (I'd get a tripod at the same time if it brought the total package cost down).
    The price is great. My experienced is, CP and MS always giving very low price already, not many shops can beat them in the price. AP should sell at 899 if not wrong. You can call up TK to ask. My experienced is usually TK will (probably) offer slightly cheaper price on certain items, sometimes lens, sometimes body.

    You can try Parisilk...I've check some price with them before, and it can be cheaper then CP or MS, but there are threads stated some not good experienced with them...

    The freebies need to collect from Canon at Keppel Bay Towel. (not the showroom at vivo)

    Regarding the 2nd hand price, what I can interpret is, because, about 3 month ago, the price is still around 970 to 980, that's why they are still asking for 800... I suspect the very slightly price drop in 450D is due to the 500D...
    Last edited by Shen siung; 8th May 2009 at 01:18 AM.

  16. #276

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Regarding the 2nd hand price, what I can interpret is, because, about 3 month ago, the price is still around 970 to 980, that's why they are still asking for 800... I suspect the very slightly price drop in 450D is due to the 500D...
    Yeah, people need to base their second hand price on the *current* new price of the camera, not what they paid for it. That's technology, prices are always coming down...

  17. #277

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Weather sealing or not, i guess dust is inevitable in them once used for sometime. unless you are living in some clean room or something like that.
    Yup, I agree with you. No weather sealing can effectively ward off dust. Even brand new lenses right from the box can have dust in them.

  18. #278

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    wah, just wondering, after 14 pages, have you bought any DSLR yet?
    hehe i read all the pages. quite useful to me too.
    i thinking to get my first DSLR by this July too.
    Cheers

  19. #279

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Funny you should ask. I've already held the D90. I went today to the Canon showroom at Vivo and held the 450D, 500D and 50D. I'm sorry to say, but the 450D and 500D really do not feel very comfortable at all. The grip isn't big enough so I need to angle my fingers down and the bottom corner of the camera presses into my hand just under my little finger. Very uncomfortable. The grip on the 50D is much better but that camera is out of my budget (and still has the 15MP noise issue). The D90, on the other hand, feels lovely to hold, if a bit heavier. But I really am concerned about the colour depth of the RAW images it produces. People might say 12-bit and 14-bit doesn't matter, hardly any difference etc, that's fine. But it matters to me. Both manufacturers aim their cameras at different markets. Nikon obviously feels that it is more of a professional feature (I disagree) and they put it in the D300 and above. Canon put it in all their models from the 450D upwards.

    Assuming I did get the Nikon D90 for now and upgraded later when they probably replace it with a 14-bit body, what would people recommend as lenses? I feel that Canon offers a broader choice for lenses. Specifically, I am looking at the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens which is amazing. If I wanted more focal length later on I would supplement it with the EF 24-105L f/4 IS USM lens. I've had a good look through Nikon's lenses and they seem to be either too slow, lacking VR (a must for me...it just is), or they go right to the top of the line in their f/2.8 'trinity' lenses which I'm not interested in - too heavy and too expensive. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 9th May 2009 at 05:51 PM.

  20. #280

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Funny you should ask. I've already held the D90. I went today to the Canon showroom at Vivo and held the 450D, 500D and 50D. I'm sorry to say, but the 450D and 500D really do not feel very comfortable at all. The grip isn't big enough so I need to angle my fingers down and the bottom corner of the camera presses into my hand just under my little finger. Very uncomfortable. The grip on the 50D is much better but that camera is out of my budget (and still has the 15MP noise issue). The D90, on the other hand, feels lovely to hold, if a bit heavier. But I really am concerned about the colour depth of the RAW images it produces. People might say 12-bit and 14-bit doesn't matter, hardly any difference etc, that's fine. But it matters to me. Both manufacturers aim their cameras at different markets. Nikon obviously feels that it is more of a professional feature (I disagree) and they put it in the D300 and above. Canon put it in all their models from the 450D upwards.

    Assuming I did get the Nikon D90 for now and upgraded later when they probably replace it with a 14-bit body, what would people recommend as lenses? I feel that Canon offers a broader choice for lenses. Specifically, I am looking at the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens which is amazing. If I wanted more focal length later on I would supplement it with the EF 24-105L f/4 IS USM lens. I've had a good look through Nikon's lenses and they seem to be either too slow, lacking VR (a must for me...it just is), or they go right to the top of the line in their f/2.8 'trinity' lenses which I'm not interested in - too heavy and too expensive. Any suggestions?
    Consider 40D? Get it 2nd hand if you can't find it in the shops.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491213141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •