Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #241
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by htyue1113 View Post
    vote for Nikon D90
    too late...he's joining the light...

  2. #242

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by htyue1113 View Post
    vote for Nikon D90
    Think we've bashed that out enough here already

    I prefer (note: I said "prefer", I didn't say something is "better" than anything else) Canon's lenses in terms of what I would realistically purchase. They have a stunning 17-55 lens, and an entire range of F/4 prosumer L series lenses. I'd never move to the holy trinity anyway so its a moot point.

    I also like the way the Canon gives 14-bit colour depth. Sure, people might say it makes no (or little) difference, and maybe I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, but the below excerpt from a recent Canon 500D review (it applies equally to the 450D) says what I've been thinking for a while now...

    "14-bit A/D conversion. Just like the Rebel XSi, the Canon Rebel T1i uses 14-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion when creating JPEGs, for smoother color transitions, and RAW files are saved as 14-bit files. Converting from 14-bits worth of data means that the saved images are theoretically formed from four times the color information than was available to the Canon XTi, which was only able to generate 4,096 colors per channel. The Canon Rebel T1i can recognize 16,384 colors per channel, which should mean smoother tones and more accurate color overall. Though JPEGs will still be saved as 8-bit color, RAW images will benefit more fully from the 14-bit depth, making for more accurate 16-bit images in programs like Photoshop."

    The review is at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/T1IA.HTM.

    The Nikon is heavier too. I prefer as light as possible. It's interesting to note that www.nikonrumors.com has an unsubstantiated rumour that all new Nikon bodies will not have an internal focusing motor. It might be nothing but a rumour, but I personally think it's good to get rid of the extra weight it adds and just focus on putting motors inside the lenses like Canons have been doing for years. I know about the whole backwards compatability issue, but nothing lasts forever...
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 6th May 2009 at 08:37 PM.

  3. #243

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    can see u ve been doing much reading. good for u !

    but after u get your camera, do yourself a favor, stop reading those reviews.

    they wun make your pic any better.

    happy shooting.

  4. #244

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Let me share my buying experience for my first DSLR (now on 2nd one)

    1) I looked at my bank account. 1.5k Ho say liao.

    2) I go to a shop.

    3) Asked for cheapest Canon and Nikon at the time.

    4) Hold Canon
    Hold Nikon

    One feels like cheap plastic toy compared to the other. (I wont say which brand)

    5) Play controls on both Cameras.

    One feels like engineers and marketing dept had too much say in it.(Print button on a camera? o come on) The other, yes, the designer is a photographer.

    6) The uncle at the counter say, this brand 90% of business is only cameras and lens. this other one sells everything under the sun.

    7) And he added "Come on, in my time, the only Japanese camera a young man wants is THIS Brand. Uncle is in his 40s.

    So I paid $1250 for everything plus a kit lens and a sd card and a bag.

    Well, thats how i bought my first DSLR
    Last edited by Temujin; 6th May 2009 at 11:50 PM.

  5. #245

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Let me share my buying experience for my first DSLR (now on 2nd one)

    1) I looked at my bank account. 1.5k Ho say liao.

    2) I go to a shop.

    3) Asked for cheapest Canon and Nikon at the time.

    4) Hold Canon
    Hold Nikon

    One feels like cheap plastic toy compared to the other. (I wont say which brand)

    5) Play controls on both Cameras.

    One feels like engineers and marketing dept had too much say in it.(Print button on a camera? o come on) The other, yes, the designer is a photographer.

    6) The uncle at the counter say, this brand 90% of business is only cameras and lens. this other one sells everything under the sun.

    7) And he added "Come on, in my time, the only Japanese camera a young man wants is THIS Brand. Uncle is in his 40s.

    So I paid $1250 for everything plus a kit lens and a sd card and a bag.

    Well, thats how i bought my first DSLR
    Lol, you don't have to say what brands...it's pretty obvious. Still, the two things I'm looking at above all others are image quality and lens quality. They've each got their pro's and con's. If I've got my facts right, the D3x is the first Nikon to ever go past 12MP. Canon were doing that long before. Pro's and con's...

    And I really find it interesting if 90% of Nikon's business is cameras and lenses, why are third party lenses seemginly (just from my general observations...could be wrong) so much more popular on Nikon bodies than on Canons? Range, quality, price...?
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 7th May 2009 at 12:00 AM.

  6. #246

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Lol, you don't have to say what brands...it's pretty obvious. Still, the two things I'm looking at above all others are image quality and lens quality. They've each got their pro's and con's. If I've got my facts right, the D3x is the first Nikon to ever go past 12MP. Canon were doing that long before. Pro's and con's...
    Not trying to stage a brand war here but I have seen many reviews quoted this saying:

    Canon is good for their high end/pro-level and pns cameras.

    Nikon is good for their mid-range/semi-pro cameras.

    Sony is value for money for their low-end/entry level cameras. (as in features, handling, quality and price).

    And I always believe in this: The one who invented/started it may not have the best product. If the camera/lens quality is really so much more important than the usability itself, then just get yourself the best product in the market and no one will say anything about it, which of course the word "best" differs from person to person.

    Of course, to each his own, everyone has their own rights to decide on their own purchase which suit their needs/ego better.
    Last edited by Ouverture; 7th May 2009 at 12:04 AM.

  7. #247

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    Not trying to stage a brand war here but I have seen many reviews quoted this saying:

    Canon is good for their high end/pro-level and pns cameras.

    Nikon is good for their mid-range/semi-pro cameras.

    Sony is value for money for their low-end/entry level cameras. (as in features, handling, quality and price).

    And I always believe in this: The one who invented/started it may not have the best product.

    Of course, to each his own, everyone has their own rights to decide on their own purchase which suit their needs/ego better.
    Couldn't agree more. And it depends what motivates you. Do you prefer form over function? Do you look solely at specifications? Is it all about the image quality, or the user experience? Are you a love at first sight person? Lol. I'm not only looking at my starting point, I'm looking at where I want to be in the future both in terms of body (60D is sounding really enticing) and lenses (some F4 L series lenses would carry across very nicely to a better body)...

  8. #248

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    Not trying to stage a brand war here but I have seen many reviews quoted this saying:

    Canon is good for their high end/pro-level and pns cameras.

    Nikon is good for their mid-range/semi-pro cameras.

    Sony is value for money for their low-end/entry level cameras. (as in features, handling, quality and price).

    And I always believe in this: The one who invented/started it may not have the best product. If the camera/lens quality is really so much more important than the usability itself, then just get yourself the best product in the market and no one will say anything about it, which of course the word "best" differs from person to person.

    Of course, to each his own, everyone has their own rights to decide on their own purchase which suit their needs/ego better.


    i believe all 3 brands have semi/pro cameras and are gd in them
    dang...saying d3x is not gd or 1dm2 is not gd is an insult to these giants that created camera even before many of us are born
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  9. #249

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Lol, you don't have to say what brands...it's pretty obvious. Still, the two things I'm looking at above all others are image quality and lens quality. They've each got their pro's and con's. If I've got my facts right, the D3x is the first Nikon to ever go past 12MP. Canon were doing that long before. Pro's and con's...

    And I really find it interesting if 90% of Nikon's business is cameras and lenses, why are third party lenses seemginly (just from my general observations...could be wrong) so much more popular on Nikon bodies than on Canons? Range, quality, price...?
    I suppose it's too late to tell you to look beyond C & N? Dont be mistaken, I use both...one for film and the other for digital. Perhaps it's because I came over from film, I am more particular about how the pictures turn out since the sensor becomes my film. I am not good at pp and also do not wish to spend too much time and money on tweaking the final results to my taste. So it was how the camera produces the image that affected my decision when I went digital, not so much how they handle or the quality of their lens (both of which are also important considerations).

    Like I said, it's probably too late to tell you otherwise...so just go get your camera and SSS away

  10. #250

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Dude, I am typing that story to say that "just buy". Not to induce another round of comparison questions.

    But to humour you, pple buy 3rd party because they know they will never need the kind of quality that Nikon glass produces. Save 1k can do a lot of things ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Lol, you don't have to say what brands...it's pretty obvious. Still, the two things I'm looking at above all others are image quality and lens quality. They've each got their pro's and con's. If I've got my facts right, the D3x is the first Nikon to ever go past 12MP. Canon were doing that long before. Pro's and con's...

    And I really find it interesting if 90% of Nikon's business is cameras and lenses, why are third party lenses seemginly (just from my general observations...could be wrong) so much more popular on Nikon bodies than on Canons? Range, quality, price...?

  11. #251

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Oh, you just said exactly the opposite of what the review I posted says with regards to exposure...hmm...

    I find exactly the same as you regarding noise and sharpness. In the sample images I've seen posted online, I find the noise and sharpness much better on the 450D, especially in the darker areas.
    (i) Exposure may vary slightly from camera to camera. This can be fixed either by exposure compensation or a quick trip to the service center.

    (ii) The 500D vary well have a different tone curve than the 450D following CNet's claims. If that's the case, you need not worry 'cos it will not affect RAW output.

    But CNet is never rigorous. You can either wait for detailed test results or try them yourself at the Canon Showroom.

    (iii) The 500D has more aggressive noise reduction and slightly higher noise than 450D. The best test is to change the noise reduction option to Low instead of Standard.

  12. #252

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Dude, I am typing that story to say that "just buy". Not to induce another round of comparison questions.

    But to humour you, pple buy 3rd party because they know they will never need the kind of quality that Nikon glass produces. Save 1k can do a lot of things ok?
    I know. And I'd buy third party no problem if they only put image stabilisation in. Yep, I know SOME third party lenses do it, but none of the lenses I'm looking at A lot of reviews say the motors are a bit whirry too, you may not get full time manual override, etc etc...

  13. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Couldn't agree more. And it depends what motivates you. Do you prefer form over function? Do you look solely at specifications? Is it all about the image quality, or the user experience? Are you a love at first sight person? Lol. I'm not only looking at my starting point, I'm looking at where I want to be in the future both in terms of body (60D is sounding really enticing) and lenses (some F4 L series lenses would carry across very nicely to a better body)...
    brother, i am not going to harm you with my words but i want to know from you more. until today, the 13th page when will you get your camera?? i think everyone on your thread want to follow up with you on this since all of us constributed alot to your enquiry.

    you mention (keep mentioning)you want something light for carrying around but now you mention you want 60D. previously you also mention you looking at 70-200f4IS which is also a super heavy lens around. combining the weight for the body and lens will not a "light" camera you will be getting.

    why dont you round up all this with a buying and next try to shoot more first, from there you will really realised what you will need and what is good for you. you cant go far if you think of so many factors at the moment with nothing. but when you got the equipment later, yours thought and ideas might even not the same anymore.
    Last edited by ggodetucsamoht; 7th May 2009 at 12:20 AM.

  14. #254

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    brother, i am not going to harm you with my words but i want to know from you more. until today, the 13th page when will you get your camera?? i think everyone on your thread want to follow up with you on this since all of us constributed alot to your enquiry.

    you mention (keep mentioning)you want something light for carrying around but now you mention you want 60D. previously you also mention you looking at 70-200f4IS which is also a super heavy lens around. combining the weight for the body and lens will not a "light" camera you will be getting.

    why dont you round up all this with a buying and next try to shoot more first, from there you will really realised what you will need and what is good for you. you cant go far if you think of so many factors at the moment with nothing. but when you got the equipment later, yours thought and ideas might even not the same anymore.
    Sorry to confuse. My mind is made up. I'm getting the 450D, and most likely the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM lens. I've already made a few offers on second hand lenses in these forums, and have some e-quotes on bodies. The 60D comment was in terms of what I might get AFTER the 450D (which forms part of the reason for getting the 450D...a clear upgrade path when it comes time).

    It's ok, I'm not backflipping I'm hoping to find a second hand EF-S 17-55 F2.8 lens with hood and UV filter for $1300-1350.

    Oh, and the 70-200 F4 lens is only if I ever need that focal range (which I may never need). I figure I'll start with the 17-55, then if I need a bit more range I really love the 24-105 L series F4 lens. The 70-200 F4 would be the logical final piece of the puzzle...IF I ever need it and I'd carry it to wherever I intended to shoot...it certainly wouldn't be a walkaround lens due to the weight (but still lighter than the 7-200 F2.8 lens).
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 7th May 2009 at 12:24 AM.

  15. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Sorry to confuse. My mind is made up. I'm getting the 450D, and most likely the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM lens. I've already made a few offers on second hand lenses in these forums, and have some e-quotes on bodies. The 60D comment was in terms of what I might get AFTER the 450D (which forms part of the reason for getting the 450D...a clear upgrade path when it comes time).

    It's ok, I'm not backflipping I'm hoping to find a second hand EF-S 17-55 F2.8 lens with hood and UV filter for $1300-1350.
    hey, tats the way dude.....i assure you, you are at the very right path now.........17-55IS is an L lens without the L letter and red ring......

  16. #256

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    A sincere thank you to everybody who offered some advice and helped me make an informed decision. Despite choosing Canon, I think Nikon have some wonderful cameras, and a certain part of me will always wish I got the D90 (ooh, those lovely ergonomics and big, bright viewfinder). But I made the decision according to some criteria that were important to me in terms of both wants and needs, and feel better for making an informed choice.

    I'll let you guys know when I've got camera + lens in my hot little hands and hopefully some kind ClubSNAPpers can give me a few pointers out on a photoshoot one of these days

  17. #257

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Sorry to confuse. My mind is made up. I'm getting the 450D, and most likely the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM lens. I've already made a few offers on second hand lenses in these forums, and have some e-quotes on bodies. The 60D comment was in terms of what I might get AFTER the 450D (which forms part of the reason for getting the 450D...a clear upgrade path when it comes time).

    It's ok, I'm not backflipping I'm hoping to find a second hand EF-S 17-55 F2.8 lens with hood and UV filter for $1300-1350.

    Oh, and the 70-200 F4 lens is only if I ever need that focal range (which I may never need). I figure I'll start with the 17-55, then if I need a bit more range I really love the 24-105 L series F4 lens. The 70-200 F4 would be the logical final piece of the puzzle...IF I ever need it and I'd carry it to wherever I intended to shoot...it certainly wouldn't be a walkaround lens due to the weight (but still lighter than the 7-200 F2.8 lens).

    Ok, finally we see some "light"

    I am sure many brothers here who had been "brewing" advice here hope to find some "returns" and get some conclusion one way or another...

    Quick post your purchase and pictures once you have them...
    Last edited by Ouverture; 7th May 2009 at 12:32 AM.

  18. #258
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    A sincere thank you to everybody who offered some advice and helped me make an informed decision. Despite choosing Canon, I think Nikon have some wonderful cameras, and a certain part of me will always wish I got the D90 (ooh, those lovely ergonomics and big, bright viewfinder). But I made the decision according to some criteria that were important to me in terms of both wants and needs, and feel better for making an informed choice.

    I'll let you guys know when I've got camera + lens in my hot little hands and hopefully some kind ClubSNAPpers can give me a few pointers out on a photoshoot one of these days
    sure, you can join shooting for walk ard if any one is organising one too. i might be going for a shoot this sat, if you want can join me too.

  19. #259

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    E-quote from Cathay Photo for the 450D is $881.10 (GST inc.).
    E-quote from MS Color for the 450D is $881.61 (GST inc.)
    Both include 8GB memory (probably not the fastest) and camera bag (whatever that is).

    Do these prices seem reasonable or should I keep looking?

    A lot of comedians on the second hand forums asking for $800 and higher for their second hand 450D bodies. For the sake of an extra $80, I'll get a new one thank you very much :P

    Also looks like these camera shops just have a 'best price' for each item and don't make things progressively cheaper the more items you buy (I'd get a tripod at the same time if it brought the total package cost down).

  20. #260

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Errrr wow 13 pages... you are certainly a well-informed buyer.

    Good choice on body and lens although I feel the D90 shouldn't exactly be compared to the Digital Rebels. It's a prosumer DSLR with more advanced features (pentaprism viewfinder with higher magnification, separate shooting status LCD, better build, higher FPS etc.)

    I changed from 400D to 30D and I could tell the difference, despite 30D being an older model with an older sensor (8.2mp vs 10.1mp). In fact, I consider it an upgrade. Only gripe I have is 30D's poor WB under incandescent lighting, which pisses the sh** out of me. No matter though, I shoot RAW ^^

    Key differences are what I outlined earlier. I can't go back to a Digital Rebel now that I've had a taste of pentaprism viewfinder, 5fps and a much more silent shutter (:
    Last edited by ditikolon; 7th May 2009 at 01:09 AM.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •