Page 1 of 17 123611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #1

    Default Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Hi everybody

    I've been waiting for ages for the Canon 500D to come out before buying my first camera. Now that it's out (well available for purchase online at least), I'm waiting to read a thorough review on it. The first I can find is at http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml.

    This review mentions that the noise with the Canon 15MP sensor is much higher than the Nikon's at 12MP. I know that it's only judging against the Canon 50D sensor, but given that the 50D sensor has "gapless micro-lenses" and the 500D doesn't, I think the noise in the 500D will be even worse than it is in the 50D.

    So I have a dilemma. Do I get the Nikon D90 and accept the fact that its only got 12-bit colour (maybe not an issue in itself but in Adobe post-processing can become a bit of a limitation) and not as many great lenses to choose from (no "L series" equivalent line of lenses), or do I get the Canon and accept its high noise?

    Just to give you all the facts, I'm primarily interested in nighttime landscapes and don't really want to look at anything lower than these models (eg not interested in the Canon 450D/1000D or Nikon D40/D60).

  2. #2
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    get a 无敌兔!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Sorry I can't read/speak Chinese

  4. #4

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Nikon does in fact have a lot of great lenses that are just not labelled as explicitly as their Canon counterparts (for example - all the f/2.8 zooms in Nikon's range are excellent - 14-24, 24-70, 70-200). You should get the camera system that your friends (if any) use so you can share lenses - they are much more important than the camera body.

    无敌兔 means a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
    5D Mk II | TS-E 17L | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 35L | 85L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro | 580EX II

  5. #5

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Thanks. My friend has a Canon 450D. The reason he chose the Canon was primarily for the lenses available. The L series with their weather sealing, image stabilisation and ring USM focusing are awesome. He tends to think that Nikon lenses look a bit tacky and plasticky (not trying to start a fight...just a humble opinion). And there isn't the sheer range of lenses to choose from...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Not that I'm trying to sound anti-Nikon. I think Canon going for a "more is better" approach to MP is taking a marketing approach at the sacrifice of quality, as stated in the review I posted.

    One of the major things I hate about Nikon is a certain guy by the name of Ken Rockwell. Major w@nker if you ask me

  7. #7
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    So... you need ALL the thousands of lenses that Canon makes? How many do you need? Is there a lens that you absolutely need which Canon makes and Nikon doesn't?



    Perhaps you might find it somewhere here?


    If I'm not mistaken, the pro-grade Nikkor lenses (the constant aperture f/2.8 ones) are also pretty well weather-sealed, like the Canon Ls
    Exploring! :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post

    One of the major things I hate about Nikon is a certain guy by the name of Ken Rockwell. Major w@nker if you ask me
    Hey... to each his own. Don't have to worship the guy. Heck, hating a brand because of a guy who isn't even an employee.... sigh...
    He can afford to play with all the expensive toys because of the reviews he does.
    w@nker? more like winner to me.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Lol, I get your point. Its nice having options. I mean, sure I'm a newbie now, but its nice down the track being able to keep my investment in lenses and having so much to choose from should I ever need it without having to change brands. Canon does have the reputation when it comes to lenses, right?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Although I am a Canon user, objectively, Nikon's wide angle lenses are somewhat better (especially their FX 14-24/2.8 - godly). Canon apparently makes better telephoto primes (300/2.8, 400/2.8, etc).
    5D Mk II | TS-E 17L | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 35L | 85L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro | 580EX II

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    i find it absolutely hilarious that someone can talk about weather-sealing and all that in one breath, and in the other be considering a camera body that isn't meant to be really weather-sealed to such high standards. Shouldn't you be comparing the 1DsMkIII and the D3X, perhaps?
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Lol, I get your point. Its nice having options. I mean, sure I'm a newbie now, but its nice down the track being able to keep my investment in lenses and having so much to choose from should I ever need it without having to change brands. Canon does have the reputation when it comes to lenses, right?
    I mean... you based that statement on what? Hearsay? Whatever you say dude.


    pssst, I heard Leica makes good lenses too...
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    I'm a newbie, and I don't know as much as you do. That's why I'm here, to ask for advice I'm not trying to start a flame war.

    Weather sealing is something I like in lenses because I want to avoid dust in them. The camera body has a dust cleaning system for its sensor.

    And the statement from Ken Rockwell that sealed the deal for me was "The D40 is the only camera you will ever need". Lol The bit about me "hating Nikon" because of Ken was a joke, hence the smiley face.
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 2nd May 2009 at 12:53 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Weather sealing or not, i guess dust is inevitable in them once used for sometime. unless you are living in some clean room or something like that.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    comparing the 500D to the D90 isnt doing D90 any justice at all...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Really? Oh. I thought "weather sealing" meant there was no chance of dust getting in at all. I have a lot to learn

    Is anybody able to shed some light on how much of a disadvantage having a 12-bit A/D converter is compared to a 14-bit A/D? All the reviews I read seem to overlook this.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
    comparing the 500D to the D90 isnt doing D90 any justice at all...
    The only thing that's got me concerned is the 12-bit vs 14-bit issue I've raised...I don't understand it well enough to make a judgement there. The other issue was lenses, which isn't a comparison of the body, but I'll leave that topic alone as it's getting a bit heated...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    IMO nikon produces better quality build len on their lower series while canon produce superior grade on their high end L-series lens. quote an example,

    lower grade nikon vs lower grade canon
    18-55kits on nikon definately looks more pro and solid than the canon toy and plastic looking len.

    higher grade canon vs higher grade nikon
    70-200f2.8 IS with solid white body and metal feel is confirm looks better than the nikon 70-200f2.8VR.

    do you guys agree with me?

    while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing....

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Really? Oh. I thought "weather sealing" meant there was no chance of dust getting in at all. I have a lot to learn

    Is anybody able to shed some light on how much of a disadvantage having a 12-bit A/D converter is compared to a 14-bit A/D? All the reviews I read seem to overlook this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    I'm a newbie, and I don't know as much as you do. That's why I'm here, to ask for advice I'm not trying to start a flame war.

    Weather sealing is something I like in lenses because I want to avoid dust in them. The camera body has a dust cleaning system for its sensor.

    And the statement from Ken Rockwell that sealed the deal for me was "The D40 is the only camera you will ever need". Lol The bit about me "hating Nikon" because of Ken was a joke, hence the smiley face.

    Please don't make inflammatory comments about people, and then expect to laugh it off with a smiley face at the end. It's not a nice thing to do. For example, how would you feel if I wrote ".... that MelbourneGuy is a w@nker "

    I'm not a Ken Rockwell fan. In fact it's commonly remarked that his comments have to be taken with a pinch of salt. His comment about the D40 is not referring to all photographers, especially not the professionals. In fact, even for a fairly experienced hobbyist like myself, I doubt I can really exceed the limits of the D40's capabilities.

    You talk about 12-bit vs 14-bit processing and the 50D's supposed gap-less lenses on the sensor, as though it's a highly critical difference which affects your camera choice. So I assume you're some kind of professional. Yet you say it's gonna be your first camera. I'm puzzled.
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing....
    How much did you pay for the 70-200 f/2.8 L?


    Taken from the Canon and Nikon subforum
    AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED - $2450 (TK, Dec08 - xtemujin) | $2450 (MS, Sep08 - Xiao_Shin) | $2500 (CP, Sep08 - MaZaCA) | $2450 (AP, Nov08 - Joe1031)

    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Yen280,000/US$1700) RS$3,300 - CP-M$2,450 (INC. GST)/ CP S$2336.00 (Dec 2008)/ MS$2,565/ TCW$2,800/ AP-F$2,430 (Ex-GST)/ JO$2580/ OP$2650
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 2nd May 2009 at 01:24 AM.
    Exploring! :)

Page 1 of 17 123611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •