Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Safe or not?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Safe or not?

    hi ppl,


    needed some advice on traveling to taiwan and hongkong?

    dunno how will h1n1 affects...been kinda worried, have called the agency but have oni been given vague answers...

    departs on 10th may....

    anyone can advice?
    Canon 1000D (Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 55-250, EF 50 F/1.8)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    holiday? for work?

    health is more important.

  3. #3
    Member kiama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    .SG
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    HK government just announced it's first confirmed case of H1N1 10mins ago.
    Last edited by kiama; 1st May 2009 at 08:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yishun, Singapore
    Posts
    590

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiama View Post
    HK government just announced it's first confirmed case of H1N1 10mins ago.
    where did u get tht info? i didnt find it on CNA..

  5. #5

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    hk and taiwan should be ok la ...

    i m going to New York next week for a month!
    always the Light, .... always.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    hk got imported case. mexican who flew in.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    no! definitely not safe!!! don goooo!!!!!!! stay in singapore safer. mexicans wont come here....hong kongers also wont come here...definitely the chinese wont come here...so expensive how to come?

    ok ok, sori...i was being sarcastic...honestly, if ur worried about getting the flu, don go cuts down the risk...and even if u go, the chances of u getting the flu is low...provided of coz u eat ur chickens well cooked, don play with chicken (of both types), and really for heaven's sake, wear a mask!
    おれのflickrださ

  8. #8
    Member tropiccana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    633

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    jus back from taiwan last monday...arrive at terminal 1 have to pass thur temperature scan...wat the hell is going on?? so serious??/ nowadays looks like very serious....10 may still got some time...jus wait n see how lor...if hk, china, taiwan got case oledi...then better dun go....stay at home more safe..>.<

    thiking of that virus also scared oledi...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    For those who are ignorant or choose to ignore the facts.... the current H1N1 virus is new and very infectious. That is why WHO raised the level to 5. The possibility of a pandemic is real.

    How safe is a flight to HK? Safer than Mexico but, no one can tell really. If you are lucky, no one on the plane has the H1N1 and you are safe. If you are unlucky, you might find yourself sitting next to one with the H1N1 even though he may not run a temperature above 38deg c and no running nose - but that does not guarantee you will get it.

    So what you can do to protect yourself is to get one of those surgical mask / N95 mask and hand sanitizer (small size so that you can bring on board, bigger size keep in check in luggage). Try not to talk too close. Do NOT touch your eyes, nose and mouth. Wash your hands often with soap or hand sanitizer. If you sneeze, do so into tissue paper and discard these properly in case you spead anything. These simply steps will help you protect yourself from getting infected.

    When in Hong Kong, avoid too crowded places. Keep to the regime above. If you have the symptoms of running nose, high fever and cough, do seek medical help. Life still goes on, just keep yourself protected. Have a good trip.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaw shank View Post
    hi ppl,


    needed some advice on traveling to taiwan and hongkong?

    dunno how will h1n1 affects...been kinda worried, have called the agency but have oni been given vague answers...

    departs on 10th may....

    anyone can advice?
    going for leisure or work?
    Leisure you can put it off.
    Work? Then perhaps need to discuss within your company, can postpone or not?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    I feel it is safe to travel to hk and tw even if there might be the illness.

    More importantly, are you healthy and fit? If you are a weakling who lives on a bag of pills daily or just recovered from a very bad illness, then skip it and go rest.

    Only the weaker ones will tend to get infected easily.

    Just remember personal hygiene is very impt. Wash hands often, apply disinfecting wipes before each meal or after touching too many public objects will kill off most germs. Take more showers daily, eat healthy, etc...

    There is so much hype here and there. Do you know that during sars days, there is a hospital I know where some doctors and nurses claimed it is not critical to on face mask? Its way blown up by media how germs can fly in the air.... LOL

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    I feel it is safe to travel to hk and tw even if there might be the illness.

    More importantly, are you healthy and fit? If you are a weakling who lives on a bag of pills daily or just recovered from a very bad illness, then skip it and go rest.

    Only the weaker ones will tend to get infected easily.

    Just remember personal hygiene is very impt. Wash hands often, apply disinfecting wipes before each meal or after touching too many public objects will kill off most germs. Take more showers daily, eat healthy, etc...

    There is so much hype here and there. Do you know that during sars days, there is a hospital I know where some doctors and nurses claimed it is not critical to on face mask? Its way blown up by media how germs can fly in the air.... LOL

    As of 29th April 09, it appears that the Influenza A H1N1 is spread through droplets. As such you are correct to recommend the above personal hygiene. However, a surgical mask or N95 mask can protect your mouth and nose from someone sneezing (flying droplets).

    It is hard to believe a hospital which would be irresponsible enough to go about without some form of protection.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    going for leisure or work?
    Leisure you can put it off.
    Work? Then perhaps need to discuss within your company, can postpone or not?
    going for tour which was booked last month before the viral thingy outbreak....
    called the agency was told no instructions from garment to suspend flights, when i asked abt postponement, they say nt possible and wld forfeit all payments....sigh..i realli dunno wad to do liao...
    Canon 1000D (Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 55-250, EF 50 F/1.8)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaw shank View Post
    going for tour which was booked last month before the viral thingy outbreak....
    called the agency was told no instructions from garment to suspend flights, when i asked abt postponement, they say nt possible and wld forfeit all payments....sigh..i realli dunno wad to do liao...

    any place anytime can go for any trip, but spread of virus 1st priority to avoid.
    for me it's ok if my payments forfeit, jus my opinion

    cheers

  15. #15
    Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    922

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    hk and taiwan should be ok la ...

    i m going to New York next week for a month!
    Time for you to head to B&H Photo or Adorama

    My sister just came back from New York. She says there's no panic but everyone's keeping to the safe side.

    Just be careful and practice good hygene and common sense and you should be alright. Enjoy your New York trip and take lots of photos!
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    For something as serious as this, I don't think you should be seeking advice from people in a photography forum.

    Watch the news, and follow travel advisories.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Safe or not?

    thanks for all your inputs, will be following closely the news on tv, internet wadever i can lay my hands on....
    Canon 1000D (Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 55-250, EF 50 F/1.8)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •