Thread: Adding on to Nikon SB600 for macro use

Default Adding on to Nikon SB600 for macro use

Hi guys,

I'm currently using an SB600 for macro use, shooting bugs. Even with a diffuser on the shadows are way too harsh. Currently considering adding on a second flash to fill in the shadows but not sure how to go about it. Will be using it with a D40 + Tamron 90mm macro.

Do I need some kind of flash bracket to fix on a second flash? If so which brand/products would you recommend for the bracket and second flash?

An alternative would be to get a ring flash but I would rather make use of my SB600 and build on it to be suitable for macro use. I suppose it would be cheaper too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adding on to Nikon SB600 for macro use

what is the cost of the bracket and the additional flash?

Quote Originally Posted by harumonia View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently using an SB600 for macro use, shooting bugs. Even with a diffuser on the shadows are way too harsh. Currently considering adding on a second flash to fill in the shadows but not sure how to go about it. Will be using it with a D40 + Tamron 90mm macro.

Do I need some kind of flash bracket to fix on a second flash? If so which brand/products would you recommend for the bracket and second flash?

An alternative would be to get a ring flash but I would rather make use of my SB600 and build on it to be suitable for macro use. I suppose it would be cheaper too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Metz macro ring flash looks good.

You can have 1 more flash to flash along.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    Metz macro ring flash looks good.

You can have 1 more flash to flash along.
    Sorry forgot to mention that I'll be using the Tamron 90mm with Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. So I think the Metz ring flash won't be able to be screwed onto the lens.

Anyone have a good macro setup for D40 with 2 flashes?

Sorry forgot to mention that I'll be using the Tamron 90mm with Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. So I think the Metz ring flash won't be able to be screwed onto the lens.

Anyone have a good macro setup for D40 with 2 flashes?
    Why would you want to add a Raynox to the equation?

Adding extension tubes would give you better magnification and picture quality. Next up, another SB-600 or 800 may be an idea, the 800 can be a commander and trigger the SB-600 using CLS's AWL. Else you can join them with the cables.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

What about those ring flash adapters like Ray Flash and equivalent. Do those work well? Actually I wonder if there are any that are compatible with SB600 + D40...

Most of my macro shots, i used only one SB, either SB600 or SB800.....

It is the controlling of light, not adding more lights to improve the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Most of my macro shots, i used only one SB, either SB600 or SB800.....

It is the controlling of light, not adding more lights to improve the photo.
    Would be great if you can share some tips on how to prevent harsh shadows when using just one flash.

Do you use a good diffuser? I'm using the Stofen one and it doesn't help much. Maybe I'm shooting too near the subject? I'm referring to shots where the flash is shining from a higher angle and producing a harsh shadow beneath the subject.
    Last edited by harumonia; 2nd May 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Would be great if you can share some tips on how to prevent harsh shadows when using just one flash.

Do you use a good diffuser? I'm using the Stofen one and it doesn't help much. Maybe I'm shooting too near the subject? I'm referring to shots where the flash is shining from a higher angle and producing a harsh shadow beneath the subject.
    Why use flashes? did you asked yourself this question?

Most ppls in digital era had forgotten the very basic of photography, i.e. Understanding of the basics of lights.

Some example.

No flash

Single flash

Double flash

Three flash

Five flash

Why use flashes? did you asked yourself this question?

Most ppls in digital era had forgotten the very basic of photography, i.e. Understanding of the basics of lights.
    Well... I use a flash to achieve higher shutter speed in low light conditions without compromising ISO... Isn't that quite a given...

The shots you posted don't really show how to prevent harsh shadows beneath the subject (subject should be standing on a horizontal surface) when using single flash on hotshoe. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Well... I use a flash to achieve higher shutter speed in low light conditions without compromising ISO... Isn't that quite a given...

The shots you posted don't really show how to prevent harsh shadows beneath the subject (subject should be standing on a horizontal surface) when using single flash on hotshoe. Thanks for trying to help anyway.
    Actually, that is a wrong conception......unless you are talking about high-speed flash photography.

But again, depend what you want to achieve, just shooting for fun, or have a define goal. Both have difference enjoyment.

With understand, there no boundary on where and which angle the subject is taken.

Wow very nice shots there. Totally no obvious shadows. That's what I'm trying to achieve but can't seem to get right...

My shots (see below) end up with shadows that I can do without...

Actually, that is a wrong conception......unless you are talking about high-speed flash photography.

But again, depend what you want to achieve, just shooting for fun, or have a define goal. Both have difference enjoyment.

With understand, there no boundary on where and which angle the subject is taken.

I think need another type of flash diffuser. I am using stofen diffuser on a sb 600. It does not seem to diffuse the light enough and thus harsh shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by qing02051981 View Post
    I think need another type of flash diffuser. I am using stofen diffuser on a sb 600. It does not seem to diffuse the light enough and thus harsh shadows.
    i also using stofen diffuser.......but it seem ok to me, some of my friends use ice-tub, tissue paper, foam board, soft box......they are also seem ok with it.....

i also using stofen diffuser.......but it seem ok to me, some of my friends use ice-tub, tissue paper, foam board, soft box......they are also seem ok with it.....

In your professional opinion, since the equipment is ok, would the problem lie with the settings instead?
    :: Nikon D90 | Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 VC | Nikkor 85mm f1.8| Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ::

I do share the same problem with TS, esp shots that are mostly top down angle... I would love to know what kind of solutions are there for this.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Your pics are very nice with no shadow, care to give some pointers to ppl like TS and I who are having problems with shadow...?

Thanks!
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Just like taking product, still life and portrait, One need to understand the how to control light, since camera is just a device to record light.

There are no short cut.... read up, experiment and practice. If something is wrong, 99% of time is human error.....so don't always blame on equipment.

Most of us had spend easily 20years of our life studying and got a cert of your profession, so please don't expect short cut in this profession.

Btw, i'm not professional, but i do plan my shot like what a professional would do. No point just go to the field everyday and collect records shots, unless this is what you enjoy.

Set goals and targets, don't just thinking of shooting, post up your works, and waiting others to give those PR comments. Then again....unless this is what you enjoy.......there are no right or wrong....since it is just a hobby.

To me, 1 good photo a day is a bonus, and i start macro-photography for only 1.5year.

Recent shot, uncropped, double flash without diffuser.

Cheers
    Last edited by Leong23; 19th May 2009 at 02:08 AM.