Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TFCD fever.

Default Re: TFCD fever.

Quote Originally Posted by scandal599 View Post
    With the recent spate of TFCD requests, and highly debatable issues surrounding models, I think that some areas of clarification are needed.

For the record, I am not a professional photographer. I am merely a fanatical, some might say bordering on psychotic, hobbyist.

A TFCD, is a collaboration between model and photographer to churn images that are mutually beneficial to both the photographer and model themselves to enhance their portfolio. And this is very often done on a professional level where both parties concerened will give ideas, concepts, wardrobe, styling and make up ideas to make the shoot work. Planning for a TFCD shoot can be a long drawn process where both parties will have constant meetups, constant deliberations and the like.

If we were to now turn our attention to the novice photographer like me to request for a TF, I will not expect the model to accept my request esp if since 1) my own portfolio is not up to scratch or 2) worse, I do not have a portfolio to show for. Following from the above 2 points, it does not mean that if one attends a couple of group shoots, means that he has a portfolio to boot. What matters most are the pictures in your own portfolio, the level of strandard that is set by the photographer alone. Anyone can have 100 or even a few hundred pics on their portfolio. But all it needs is for some 20 or so pics to stand out to make a person go "wow" and say "I will want to work with you".

That said, a lot of times, photogs tend to misinterpret that TFCD means a free shoot to expand their ports. This is the wrong mentality to take from the start. The cost factor here is TIME over and above all else. The time factor here is not about the time taken on the photoshoot itself, but every other thing that comes into play from the very start of the shoot i.e the meet up and planning stage. While granted there is no cost in terms of monetary value involved in this, the cost here is highly intangible for the model herself and at the same time the photographer himself and that is value add of the photos. Even on a Fashion/Casual shoot, it is the same thing.

So for photographers who are planning to do TFs, please understand that this post is not targeting you per se if you do request as such. If you can find a model willing to do one with you, well and good. But if you do not, then build up something first. The first step is the toughest. But once you hot the ground running, the process is a priceless learning experience to boot.
    agree with you, I always don't understand, if a photographers has nothing to show, nothing to offer, shouldn't be find whatever friends you know of to help you first, before you approach a total stranger to ask for TF whatever? since the person you approached think your CD don't wroth much.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Haha... i wanted to ask Catchlights, what this is all about, but now i saw Leong23's answer and it seems explanatory...
    see lots of drama about TFCD, want to know what others think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    agree with you, I always don't understand, if a photographers has nothing to show, nothing to offer, shouldn't be find whatever friends you know of to help you first, before you approach a total stranger to ask for TF whatever? since the person you approached think your CD don't wroth much.

that is the crux of the problem here. a lot of PGers are under the impression that the moment they engage a model for a TF, it means to say that they is no payment involved. Yes, not in money terms. But something that is highly intangible is the payment for a TF and that is a value-added portfolio for both parties.

When a model ask to see the port it is their right to do so. It serves two purposes: 1) whether she can fit your style and 2) if there can be other areas worth noting. It just takes one bad pic to ruin everything she may have built up before.

That said, in a TF, how many PGers actually make an efforet to do the PP for the model? I do not know and do not want to comment. I guess that is a question that only the PGers know. As PGers and models, the working relationship should be close knit. One should not undermine the other. No point model and PGer slam one another. What sense does it make?

And don't be too fussy/choosy/selective also.

Models with better attributes naturally will receive more offers for collaboration or TFCD request. And surely they'll want to pick what they perceive as the "best investment". If the PG have nothing to show and yet have high expectations.. There is little probability that anything will work out.

Last edited by Limsgp; 4th May 2009 at 05:05 PM.

#3, you are a experience photographer, and many (experience and inexperience) models asking you for TFCD, you want to pick someone you like to work with.....

#4, you are a photographer, and models thinking your work no good..... so I should...

Please try not to OT too much, if you can't resist, let me know, I start another KPT thread to entertain you.
    for this i will first look at their book to see if there's a hint of potential...sometimes i've been in situations where the model's book is hideous and unflattering to her. then i encounter the model and realize that her book needs something that shows their look accurately. then i initiate a sit down to gauge their personality. if i see hints of san ba or divaness i tell them shoot is not happening. if they prove to be good i conceptualize and put the shoot together.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

I'm not worried about this because i know my book is strong enuff liao...only get nervous if the model i want is supermodel but we know that will never happen here in this kampong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    I'm not worried about this because i know my book is strong enuff liao...only get nervous if the model i want is supermodel but we know that will never happen here in this kampong.
    this kampung = clubsnap or this kampung = singapore?

vince123123
    Guests

1. Pick the best guy which comes along.

2. Same as (2), but perhaps with more reasonable expectations.

3. More stringent about picking the models to work with else it will be a waste of time.

4. Find models with lesser expectations as well as try to brush up your own skill level.

Tell you what do you think and what will you do..... if.....

#1 you are a experience models want to update your book, so you offer TFCD, many (experience and inexperience) photographers contacted you, you want to pick someone you like to work with.....

#2 you are a newbie models want to start your book, so you offer TFCD, many (experience and inexperience) photographer contacted you, you want to pick someone you like to work with.....

#3, you are a experience photographer, and many (experience and inexperience) models asking you for TFCD, you want to pick someone you like to work with.....

#4, you are a photographer, and models thinking your work no good..... so I should...

Please try not to OT too much, if you can't resist, let me know, I start another KPT thread to entertain you.

vince123123
    Guests

I don't understand why people are intent on derailing of threads and always post animal pics no matter what the topic is about. Good that you posted this

all discussion of TFCD matters are welcome here.

slightly OT are fine, I mean major OT as in posting dog, cat or any animals, or cartoon characters photos in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    this kampung = clubsnap or this kampung = singapore?
    i leave that up to you to decide

i leave that up to you to decide
    both ways?

sometimes when people ask for prosumer versus dslr, got another sort of gang arguing whether it's the camera or the lens.

asking for TFCD? does photographer has anything to offer?
    Some girl don't really mind or they can't even tell good or bad......

So if a guy can offer them free photos, why not, it is free, to them, it better than going to those crap studio to have those make-over shots......

To them, free photo = free passport to ask for paid shoot....and only TFCD for special theme.......

vince123123
    Guests

Same as the obsession with animals

Guess the root of problem is.. it's not "a" guy, but an "army" in most cases

That's why there is so much discussion.. the commandos will secure the initial strikes, and the infantry will be left with nothing to shoot.. so they feedback that the target doesn't gives them a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post

So if a guy can offer them free photos, why not, it is free, to them, it better than going to those crap studio to have those make-over shots......

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Some girl don't really mind or they can't even tell good or bad......

To them, free photo = free passport to ask for paid shoot....and only TFCD for special theme.......
    sound like a cheap way for photographers to fill the harddisc with tons of models' photos.

and a cheap way for models to fill friendster a/c with tons of photoshots photos

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sometimes when people ask for prosumer versus dslr, got another sort of gang arguing whether it's the camera or the lens.
    sound like the model's head compatible to my camera body, body compatible to my lens, legs compatible to my tripod, wardrobe compatible to my flash izit???

har! got an idea for TFCD liao..... thank you thank you.

theme: Kampong Kampong

btw, can someone tell me where to find nice sarong??

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I don't understand why people are intent on derailing of threads and always post animal pics no matter what the topic is about. Good that you posted this
    cause shooting animal don't have to ask them sign model release, unless the animal is somebody's pet, than property release is needed.

that's how rather post the animal photos also will not kena complaint by the "models"

beside, the "models" willing to work for food, not so demanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    And don't be too fussy/choosy/selective also.

Models with better attributes naturally will receive more offers for collaboration or TFCD request. And surely they'll want to pick what they perceive as the "best investment". If the PG have nothing to show and yet have high expectations.. There is little probability that anything will work out.
    remind me that somebody forget to see mirror first, before making noise....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast