Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Frustrated experience in SLS

  1. #1

    Angry Frustrated experience in SLS

    Went to SLS to look for a digi cam. The shop I usually patronise was selling it at $690 last week but they have since run out of stock. I went to another shop at a corner DSLDVC with a young indian salesman who approached me very cordially. I asked for the camera model and his price. He quoted me a price at $770. I said it was too ex and he asked me for my price. I said another shop was selling at $690 and he lowered his price to $730. I said no thanks but he flew into a rage. He said that the other shop did not incl gst (not true) and that they required you to purchase the storage media (again not true). He then told me that he was not interested to deal with me. I said to him that if he couldn't match the price, just admit it. He got very angry, said some nasty things and stomped off. I was dumbfounded but decided to leave the situation alone.
    I then went up to the second floor and there was a big shop occupying 2 units facing the escalator. There were many tourists that day and they were checking prices. An old man with broken teeth approached me and the same situation repeated itself. This guy treid to argue that his price was the correct price but after our conversation, he knew that he couldn't justify his argument and that other tourists were listening in. He just walked away.
    I can't believe all this happened over just a simple request to check for the price of a digi cam. I will definitely advise people who think SLS stuff are cheap to go and check the retail price first and and std equipment accompanying the product before buying from them. These guys act more like rogues and it was defnitely not a pleasant experience. Moreover, I couldn't get what I was looking for. It was definitely a very frustrating experience.
    Last edited by happyham; 9th November 2003 at 10:41 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyham
    Went to SLS to look for a digi cam. The shop I usually patronise was selling it at $690 last week but they have since run out of stock. I went to another shop at a corner with a young indian salesman who approached me very cordially. I asked for the camera model and his price. He quoted me a price at $770. I said it was too ex and he asked me for my price. I said another shop was selling at $690 and he lowered his price to $730. I said no thanks but he flew into a rage. He said that the other shop did not incl gst (not true) and that they required you to purchase the storage media (again not true). He then told me that he was not interested to deal with me. I said to him that if he couldn't match the price, just admit it. He got very angry, said some nasty things and stomped off. I was dumbfounded but decided to leave the situation alone.
    I then went up to the second floor and there was a big shop occupying 2 units facing the escalator. There were many tourists that day and they were checking prices. An old man with broken teeth approached me and the same situation repeated itself. This guy treid to argue that his price was the correct price but after our conversation, he knew that he couldn't justify his argument and that other tourists were listening in. He just walked away.
    I can't believe all this happened over just a simple request to check for the price of a digi cam. I will definitely advise people who think SLS stuff are cheap to go and check the retail price first and and std equipment accompanying the product before buying from them. These guys act more like rogues and it was defnitely not a pleasant experience. Moreover, I couldn't get what I was looking for. It was definitely a very frustrating experience.

    Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience @ SLS.
    IMHO, I would only purchase from stores that are more reputable compared to the rest (ie, AP, CP, MSColor etc etc).

    Although they may not give you the best service all the time, but nevertheless, you can assure that they will not at least try to resort to dirty tricks.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyham
    I will definitely advise people who think SLS stuff are cheap to go and check the retail price first and and std equipment accompanying the product before buying from them.
    I usually make BargainCity's price list as a gauge of how much to expect for a particular product. It also pays to know if there are existing promotions that you might be eligible for, as some retailers may wittingly or unwittingly not provide it to you.

    :Later,

  4. #4

    Default

    sorry to hear abt that too.

    for your info, i also kenna very unpleasant experience before at SLS.

    This shop also has an indian salesman. a fat/plump stocky indian!

    it is on the level above the ground floor. right in front on the left side after a person alight from the escalator.

    This indian salesman tried to be friendly and ask to serve me.
    I ask him to quote and he quoted.
    I find his price not attractive and ask for best price. It is common practise that they quote high to rip tourists off as it is often "one time" business so they dun care so much. And if locals ask for best price, they often will give lower price.

    After he told me "best price", i politely told him that I need to check it out further and will decide later.

    this indian (SOB) started to insult with "I think u no money lah.. ask so much.." and the like.. I was so hot and told him that I will need to check..
    this indian guy then started scold hokkien words that equals "your mother pussy"
    and the like... I was so hot I told him to shut up and walk off.

    No point arguin with these tyes of hooligan salesman!!!

    All boycott this shop. Anyone know what name is this shop??

    I think we can start a sticker to boycott certain shops that are filled with holligans and unfair manipulative tactices
    Last edited by 10Der; 9th November 2003 at 10:27 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Precisely, these people are giving SLS a bad name. There were many Chinese, Indonesian and Caucasian tourists around but I guess business must be picking up again and thats why they can act so arrogant.

  6. #6

    Default

    happyham,

    did u encounter the same thrash as I encountered?

    same shop as described?

  7. #7

    Default

    Hehe....... Go SLS for computer parts and only camera equipment from AP.

    Anyway, I think this is a norm as these shops 'chop' tourists and aren't much interested in smart Singaporeans. Next time, when you know the price, just qoute it to them and if they are unwilling, just smile and walk away, no point arguing. You know what I do? The more they get pissed the more I smile and the more they feel like a loser

    If you are patient and can bargain, sometimes you can really get a good deal from these shops when you buy more stuff. It all depends.

    But as someone already mentioned, its wiser to go to reputable camera shops for your equipment.

    Hope it helps.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10Der
    happyham,

    did u encounter the same thrash as I encountered?

    same shop as described?
    I think its a different shop as my first shop was on the grd floor at one corner.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    Hehe....... Go SLS for computer parts and only camera equipment from AP.

    Anyway, I think this is a norm as these shops 'chop' tourists and aren't much interested in smart Singaporeans. Next time, when you know the price, just qoute it to them and if they are unwilling, just smile and walk away, no point arguing. You know what I do? The more they get pissed the more I smile and the more they feel like a loser

    If you are patient and can bargain, sometimes you can really get a good deal from these shops when you buy more stuff. It all depends.

    But as someone already mentioned, its wiser to go to reputable camera shops for your equipment.

    Hope it helps.
    You are absolutely right! Thats why I saw no point in arguing with them.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    39

    Default Rule at SLS

    Here is a rule at SLS:

    (there have been complaints for over 10 years now. Interesting to know they have now 'diversified' their staff)

    Take the lift, go straight to 4th floor and above. Do not even bother with other floors unless you are buying DVD from shops at 3rd floor. There may be some honest shops, but most make it quite clear they do not want to serve locals who know their way around.

    Of course, if you are over 6 feet and built like Tyson, take a chance..

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10Der
    sorry to hear abt that too.

    for your info, i also kenna very unpleasant experience before at SLS.

    This shop also has an indian salesman. a fat/plump stocky indian!

    it is on the level above the ground floor. right in front on the left side after a person alight from the escalator.

    This indian salesman tried to be friendly and ask to serve me.
    I ask him to quote and he quoted.
    I find his price not attractive and ask for best price. It is common practise that they quote high to rip tourists off as it is often "one time" business so they dun care so much. And if locals ask for best price, they often will give lower price.

    After he told me "best price", i politely told him that I need to check it out further and will decide later.

    this indian (SOB) started to insult with "I think u no money lah.. ask so much.." and the like.. I was so hot and told him that I will need to check..
    this indian guy then started scold hokkien words that equals "your mother pussy"
    and the like... I was so hot I told him to shut up and walk off.

    No point arguin with these tyes of hooligan salesman!!!

    All boycott this shop. Anyone know what name is this shop??

    I think we can start a sticker to boycott certain shops that are filled with holligans and unfair manipulative tactices
    i think the name is NAB NA*, i have encountered unpleasant experience too 2 years ago...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •