Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Good news for those who want to make Singapore a cycling nation.
    You can find more information in today's Straits Times
    (30th April, 2009) in a Special article on "The Dutch and the Bicycle" by Philip Lee

    Though there are many with negative thoughts of using the bicycle as another way
    of commuting, it is very enlightening to know that the authorities are going ahead
    to make Singapore a paradise for cyclists. Read all about the "Thrills and spills on
    a bicycle", "Two wheels better than four" More often than not Csers Matthew did
    make some awakening...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...472352&page=23


  2. #2
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    I am all for cycling but I feel it might take longer to turn sg into a cycling nation considering how most singaporeans have their asses perpetually glued to their carseats.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    hi,

    certainly it is a good activity and idea to turn Singapore into a cycling paradise. but educating the cyclist is needed. how often did we see/experience cyclist cyling on the walkway n barging ppl on foot out of their path. they posed substantial danger to users on foot especially children. it is impt to give them reminders that cyclist should remain on the roads as they are categorised as a vehicle and need to obey traffic rules.

    Hope the govt tackle this problem as they turn Singapore into a cycling paradise

    Cheers
    Shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi,

    certainly it is a good activity and idea to turn Singapore into a cycling paradise. but educating the cyclist is needed. how often did we see/experience cyclist cyling on the walkway n barging ppl on foot out of their path. they posed substantial danger to users on foot especially children. it is impt to give them reminders that cyclist should remain on the roads as they are categorised as a vehicle and need to obey traffic rules.

    Hope the govt tackle this problem as they turn Singapore into a cycling paradise

    Cheers
    Shaz
    Asking the cyclist to ride on the road and face the traffic?? Err... Singapore roads are not safe for cyclist. If gov wants to do this, then a designated cyclist lane is better or widening the walkway to include a section for cyclist.

  5. #5
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi,

    certainly it is a good activity and idea to turn Singapore into a cycling paradise. but educating the cyclist is needed. how often did we see/experience cyclist cyling on the walkway n barging ppl on foot out of their path. they posed substantial danger to users on foot especially children. it is impt to give them reminders that cyclist should remain on the roads as they are categorised as a vehicle and need to obey traffic rules.

    Hope the govt tackle this problem as they turn Singapore into a cycling paradise

    Cheers
    Shaz
    I disagree with that. I believe both parties should be educated.
    If you take a look at some cycling threads and a backdated article from stomp you would see the mentality most drivers have about cyclists on the roads. They feel that cyclists should not be even cycling on the roads at all as they don't pay road tax, and because of that they sometimes refuse to give the right of way to the cyclist because of this bias but I'm digressing here.
    To reiterate a point both parties should be educated.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    I am all for cycling but I feel it might take longer to turn sg into a cycling nation considering how most singaporeans have their asses perpetually glued to their carseats.
    my colleague said 5min walk to lunch is too far...someone must drive!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    I disagree with that. I believe both parties should be educated.
    If you take a look at some cycling threads and a backdated article from stomp you would see the mentality most drivers have about cyclists on the roads. They feel that cyclists should not be even cycling on the roads at all as they don't pay road tax, and because of that they sometimes refuse to give the right of way to the cyclist because of this bias but I'm digressing here.
    To reiterate a point both parties should be educated.
    hi.

    hmm. my bad. both parties should be educated. thanks for correcting me there. and if im not mistaken. i've seen on a police roadshow abt cycling and states that cyclist should be cyling on the road. but then again. a point brought up by a bro above. drivers arent vy aware of drivers. but would making a new pathway for cycling justify the amount of money needed to lay those cement?

    Cheers
    Shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    I disagree with that. I believe both parties should be educated.
    If you take a look at some cycling threads and a backdated article from stomp you would see the mentality most drivers have about cyclists on the roads. They feel that cyclists should not be even cycling on the roads at all as they don't pay road tax, and because of that they sometimes refuse to give the right of way to the cyclist because of this bias but I'm digressing here.
    To reiterate a point both parties should be educated.

    I agree to a certain extend. Yes. Both parties must be educated. I have no complains about cyclist cycling on the road, as long as they keep to the extreme left, and not veer out occasionally, or cycling in the middle of the lane, as if the whole lane belongs to them, or not giving way at the give way line, or even zebra crossing, or beating the red light. Cyclist do not have the right to beat the red light, be it if got traffic or not.

    As part of the road user, cyclist must obey all traffic signs and regulations.

  9. #9
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi.

    hmm. my bad. both parties should be educated. thanks for correcting me there. and if im not mistaken. i've seen on a police roadshow abt cycling and states that cyclist should be cyling on the road. but then again. a point brought up by a bro above. drivers arent vy aware of drivers. but would making a new pathway for cycling justify the amount of money needed to lay those cement?

    Cheers
    Shaz
    well we wouldn't know until thats been done I guess. Perhaps it might work, maybe it might be a flop. If they do lay a new pathway beside the roads specially for cyclists, would there be a raised lane separator? Or would it just be another lane? My concern for this is because there are impatient drivers who drive on road shoulders when they're caught in a jam. Would this happen when a new lane for cyclists is made? What if a driver were to take advantage of that lane as well? It would definitely compromise the safety of the cyclist.
    Sometimes I feel that cyclists are caught in the middle. They are neither welcome on the pedestrian paths nor roads.

  10. #10
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by loserow View Post
    I agree to a certain extend. Yes. Both parties must be educated. I have no complains about cyclist cycling on the road, as long as they keep to the extreme left, and not veer out occasionally, or cycling in the middle of the lane, as if the whole lane belongs to them, or not giving way at the give way line, or even zebra crossing, or beating the red light. Cyclist do not have the right to beat the red light, be it if got traffic or not.

    As part of the road user, cyclist must obey all traffic signs and regulations.
    agreed most of them do keep to the left and most do adhere to road rules.
    What scares me the most are still foreigners who cycle against traffic.
    They seem to have complete disregard for traffic laws.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    i believe the new path wouldnt be as big as the lanes on the road? and have you not seen those designated cycling path like those in east coast park? im sure the govt if they are gg thru with the idea is gg to do smth similar where the cycling path is next to the footpath and not on the road itself.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    agreed most of them do keep to the left and most do adhere to road rules.
    What scares me the most are still foreigners who cycle against traffic.
    They seem to have complete disregard for traffic laws.
    and i would say they are the ones that poses danger to foot path users. speeding ( if i may) on footpath n ringing the bell at the vy last minute shocking ppl. elderly and children may nt react in time.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    agreed most of them do keep to the left and most do adhere to road rules.
    What scares me the most are still foreigners who cycle against traffic.
    They seem to have complete disregard for traffic laws.
    To touch on what you had mentioned, most cyclist hobbyist in singapore (Those who keep cycling, be it racer or dirt track) are the best. They really do obey all rules and regulations.

    For the others, especially foreigers and children, they ride like the whole word and road belongs to them. Those are the ones that need to be educated, or otherwise suffer an accident and pulling drivers down with them...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by loserow View Post
    To touch on what you had mentioned, most cyclist hobbyist in singapore (Those who keep cycling, be it racer or dirt track) are the best. They really do obey all rules and regulations.

    For the others, especially foreigers and children, they ride like the whole word and road belongs to them. Those are the ones that need to be educated, or otherwise suffer an accident and pulling drivers down with them...
    i agree on this.

    cheers mate
    shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  15. #15
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    i believe the new path wouldnt be as big as the lanes on the road? and have you not seen those designated cycling path like those in east coast park? im sure the govt if they are gg thru with the idea is gg to do smth similar where the cycling path is next to the footpath and not on the road itself.
    That would be quite an amusing thing to watch then. Sammy might be able to back me up on this.
    The designated cycling path in east coast, although wide and well paved, is not only filled with cyclists and bladers; but also choked with pedestrians at times who sometimes give cyclists dirty looks as if we're not supposed to be there.
    So this is another problem posed. Pedestrians taking their own sweet time to stroll on the cycling path.
    which kinda evens things out since cyclists like to cycle on the pedestrian path at times and we have pedestrians who somehow like to stray onto the cycling path.
    Last edited by tainted; 30th April 2009 at 01:05 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    it is simple isnt it? those on cycling path by foot is wrong and vice versa. then again as usual. u need the govt to step in to fine the one in wrong. just like Jackie Chan says. we lack self respect.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Why bother? already so KS on the roads already, now become more ks on the walkways also?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    this is a good direction, cycling nation. The dutch are actually mostly very fit, coz they cycle everywhere.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  19. #19
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    firstly, education. I can't stress enough on how asinine some drivers can be, regardless of whichever country they come from. they have the whole holier than thou attitude, especially when it comes to lesser beings in lesser forms of vehicular transport, be it human powered or powered by mechanical pistons. the same goes to bikers, some of whom are so proud of their efforts that it clouds their sense of judgement and perception. they somehow think that the ability to cycle to and fro work, through rush hour and hail/wintery showers imbues them with the invulnerability of being knocked down by a car.

    what I'm trying to say here is, if we're going to have an increased amount of cyclist on the roads, start from the grass roots level. educate the public (both drivers and non-drivers alike, and bikers/non-bikers alike) about the pros and cons of it. also, enforce traffic rules onto both parties with a fair and firm hand. in Melbourne, the cops pull bikers over if they do not wear helmets, or do not observe traffic rules if they are cycling on the bitumen instead of the pathway (even if the bitumen is dedicated bike lane, they will still pull you over if you decide to cut a red light in front of them).
    chicken fight!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is Singapore going to follow the Dutch way of life?

    Have been waiting for this day to come since long ago. I think in order to educate drivers, make it compulsory to have them pass cycling tests on road. They will be more conscious of the harm from wreckless or inconsiderate driving can do to cyclists. I think the strange behaviour from foreigners could be due to their government policy in favouring pedestrians if accident occurs. Not everyone can afford a car but many can afford bicycles which I believe will help sustain economy better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •