Thread: Noobie Here!!

Default Noobie Here!!

Hi Everyone,

Noobie here, please tolerate me if i seem to be asking questions that have been repeated a million times here. I just got my self a 2nd hand D80. As im into portraits and bokeh shots, i see that there are rave reviews about the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and Nikon 35mm f/1.8, but cant seem to to get 50mm 1.8 anywhere. Can the Pros here advice me where do i get the above 2 lenses for an affordable price.

At the same time, i also wanna take shots in a club, will the above lens be sufficient or do i need to get a better lens? If so, which is recommended? Maybe the Pros here can recommend me to go to a particular shop who might be able to explain to me extensively on the different purposes of the lens. Thanks so much for answering and hoping to click my time away with posts and C&Cs!!

Default Re: Noobie Here!!

10 hours and nobody replied?
    what lens do you have with your D80 now?
    Why cannot get the 50/1.8? I saw many sets in a few camera stores last weekend whilst window shopping.

what kind of shots are you trying to take in a club? I suppose you mean nightclub. Are DSLRs allowed inside?
    Exploring! :)

I think almost all prime lens are pretty good. Whilst I prefer the nikkor 50 f1.8 and the 85 f1.8
    To save more $$, email all the reputable shops for a cash price e-quote. Then go down to the shops to pay cash and get your lens.

- 50 f1.8 shd be ard $190

The lightings at the clubs are pretty bad...if no flash are allowed, you probably gotta put to max aperture, up ISO to max and a average shutter speed say 1/60s for 50mm focal length.
    This might not give you good quality pic tho.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Quote Originally Posted by boyymerang View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Noobie here, please tolerate me if i seem to be asking questions that have been repeated a million times here. I just got my self a 2nd hand D80. As im into portraits and bokeh shots, i see that there are rave reviews about the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and Nikon 35mm f/1.8, but cant seem to to get 50mm 1.8 anywhere. Can the Pros here advice me where do i get the above 2 lenses for an affordable price.

At the same time, i also wanna take shots in a club, will the above lens be sufficient or do i need to get a better lens? If so, which is recommended? Maybe the Pros here can recommend me to go to a particular shop who might be able to explain to me extensively on the different purposes of the lens. Thanks so much for answering and hoping to click my time away with posts and C&Cs!!
    For bokeh at 35mm, you'd need the subject to be pretty near and with a far BG.... thus you should be looking at 50mm to 85mm....

In a club, the lighting would be pretty poor, then you may need to use flash, rear-sync, slow sync, etc....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site