Thread: Ext Flash when you travel?

Default Ext Flash when you travel?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, is it worthwhile to bring an external flash on vacation? I ll be going to Taiwan in July, hence considering if I should bring my ext flash along. Would like your opinion, and maybe some experience sharing on how/how not is an ext flash useful on a vacation.

Default Re: Ext Flash when you travel?

if you have an external flash, you'd know the advantages it has over the built-in flash. i don't see how an external flash will become less useful when it leaves our shores.

It will depend the way you shoot and what you shoot?
    Is it a holiday or a photographic trip?

For me, i brought my ext flash, but don't really use it.

The main reason was that it was a holiday, so need to enjoy every moment with my love one during the trip. Pop-up flash is enough for my when i needed to fill when shooting some simple portrait......

imaging......digging your bag for look for the flash.....it also depend on your partner also.....he/she might siaz......

For shooting wise, i doing more street and cityscape, and i personally don't use flash for both.

So bottomline is, plan what you will be shooting and decide is it worth the load....
    btw, a flash is very light only......that why i still bring along.

i brought mine along when i went bali in dec. lucky too. cos camera no flash.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    if you have an external flash, you'd know the advantages it has over the built-in flash. i don't see how an external flash will become less useful when it leaves our shores.
    I wont say least useful, but more like is it worth the weight? Though I must admit, after using external flash for sometime, I do avoid onboard flash as much as I can, especially on my 28-105, as the lense barrel blocks it from lighting the bottom part of the frame.

I guess my purpose of brining an external flash should I do, would be to make the group/memorial shots we take look nicer, since I ll be travelling in a group of 5

bring along if it doesn't hurt. only hurts when u you are there and you need it.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

no choice have to bring, camera has no flash

usually bring compact flash from 3rd party (no ettl )

Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering, is it worthwhile to bring an external flash on vacation? I ll be going to Taiwan in July, hence considering if I should bring my ext flash along. Would like your opinion, and maybe some experience sharing on how/how not is an ext flash useful on a vacation.
    Yes. Useful for indoor/night self portraits or group shots.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

You should bring...for night shots. If its bulky why not consider a smaller model flash?

It depends on what you shoot. But for me, I had learnt to bring most of my gears when I travel, unless you dun intend to shoot at all. You find it heavy when moving around, but when you need it - it's invaluable. Flash and tripod is totally essential tools - at least for me.
    It is just me using the Canon 5D on the 17-40L, 24-70L, 50 1.4 & 135L at http://jasonlee.smugmug.com

depends on what you shoot and what camera you own. If you own a camera with a pop-up flash, and need the flash for just few photos and restaurants etc to remember, then built in flash would be more than enough. Some attractions such as museums don't allow flash anyway, you can research before you go. Landscape etc, flash almost no use but you should know this already.

depends on you lor,

to be fair, i don't have flash, so not fair,

but i think even if i have one, i prefer working with natural/available light

that said, if you have good flash knowledge, and can control it well, you can always make any scene look natural

if you are shooting travel photography, i would reallky question its use though

Not bringing external flash for me.

Travelling for me is Body + 10-22 only. No external flash. Just use the pop-up flash is enough. In my pocket is a cheap Pop-up Flash diffuser.

Travel light, and enjoy the scenes, and get reasonable quality pictures.
    Loslos...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
    Not bringing external flash for me.

Travelling for me is Body + 10-22 only. No external flash. Just use the pop-up flash is enough. In my pocket is a cheap Pop-up Flash diffuser.

Travel light, and enjoy the scenes, and get reasonable quality pictures.
    Maybe I should consider DIYin a diffuser to try out it's effect. Cause I am not a huge fan of the pop up flash on my camera. It get;s block by my lense barrel, hence bottom parts of image sometimes isnt illuminated.

I did bring along my flash when i travel. However, i am lazy to fix it up and shoot.

maybe u can consider bringing along a light tripod instead of ex flash if you shoot more street and cityscape than ppl when traveling. u will find how important a tripod is when u want to shoot nightshots

Quote Originally Posted by picofemto View Post
    maybe u can consider bringing along a light tripod instead of ex flash if you shoot more street and cityscape than ppl when traveling. u will find how important a tripod is when u want to shoot nightshots
    Tripod is a must to me. I forgot it once on my trip 2 years ago, a good lesson learn to never forget it again

It's always good to bring along your ext flash - just in case you need it..... especially if u r travelling to exotic (once-in-a-lifetime-never-to return-again) places.
    Who Dares Wins!