Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: DLUX4 or DP2?

  1. #21

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    tomcat- did you have to tweak your Marina Barrage DP1 photo in photoshop to get that outcome? i would really like to see how these two cameras work in full auto mode. my friend's dlux4 had really great shots but i only see them on flickr and facebook which is reduced size...so cant see sharpness, but the DOF and colour tonal quality all look great...he did night shots etc too...

  2. #22

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    Since you :

    (a) Don't want RAW
    (b) Need good jpeg processor
    (c) Don't need to print or view big-big
    (d) Don't want DSLR or bulky digicam
    (e) Don't want to post-process much

    ... you shouldn't be getting the DP2... even though it produces the best image quality amongst all digicams of similar size and it's jpeg processor is supposed to be much improved over that of the DP1. And... let's face it, even some DSLRs are not as sharp as the DP1/DP2 especially if used with their kit lenses.

    You should consider the D-Lux 4 (if you like its differences over the LX3), LX3, Fuji F200 EXR and Canon G10 instead.

  3. #23

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ambien View Post
    tomcat- did you have to tweak your Marina Barrage DP1 photo in photoshop to get that outcome? i would really like to see how these two cameras work in full auto mode. my friend's dlux4 had really great shots but i only see them on flickr and facebook which is reduced size...so cant see sharpness, but the DOF and colour tonal quality all look great...he did night shots etc too...
    I shoot in RAW all the time. So there would bound to be tweaking when converting to jpeg... even if the Auto mode is used in the respective RAW converters.

    If you only want to produce images sized for the internet, then it perfectly OK to get the D-Lux 4 or LX3. Even my downsized Marina Barrage image shot with the D-Lux 4 looked quite good as it is, no? Only when viewed full-sized would you see all those noise and blotches and artifacts. Ask your friend to let you see or send you the full-sized images to see if they are just as good as the down-sized ones.

  4. #24

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    hey thanks tomcat. yeah i wont view them all the time at 100% original size. BUT, i do shoot stuff for work, like product shots to be put on internet etc. Of course in a flash website it's fine, but if I do need to send them to a magazine, then the 100% original size will show up all the grain, noise etc.

    the DP2 is terribly impressive. i seen the review on that rytterfolk site (or something) and its so so so nice its like an SLR. however, as you said, need to do post processing and shoot in raw etc....i dun want that cos if im gonna take 1000 pics on holiday i wont have time to tweak all of them ah...

    hmm,....so torn. if i bought the DP2 in tokyo it would be cheaper than the dlux 4 man. i wonder if i could buy both and then sell one off! im mad! recession time, shouldn be spending so much money ah....

    the panasonic G1 and canon G10 seems a bit more bulky to me, haven heard of that fuji one will go check out, and i dun fancy the lumix lx3 cos the tonal quality a bit inferior to the dlux4...

  5. #25

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    Don't know how much the DP2 would cost in Japan but the D-Lux 4 is about the same as the DP2 in price locally.
    I'm leaving for Hokkaido tonight... if I come across the DP2 there and the price is significantly lower, maybe I would be tempted to get one there.

  6. #26

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    ohh guess what, john 3:16 says there's no offer for the free case anymore... that was a consideration for me since the D-lux 4 so ex...

  7. #27

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    hey tomcat, it's 69800yen if im not wrong at biccamera or yodabashi...and there's a 10% discount.

    what am i going to do about the stupid d-lux4 man! grrr...

  8. #28

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    have you figured out if you could live with a fixed length lens as the DP2 is only set at 40mm ? For Macro straight from camera you're pretty stuck at 40mm too.

  9. #29

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ambien View Post

    the panasonic G1 and canon G10 seems a bit more bulky to me, haven heard of that fuji one will go check out, and i dun fancy the lumix lx3 cos the tonal quality a bit inferior to the dlux4...
    i seriously doubt that you can see the difference in the tonal quality of the lx3 and the dlux4 unless you put the images side by side. there are so many other factors at play eg. your/my monitor settings, our corresponding colour calibration settings and lighting in our rooms that I'm quite sure that the average joe simply cannot tell the difference - well you might not be just that

  10. #30

    Default Re: DLUX4 or DP2?

    I agree that the difference between LX3 and Dlux4 is very subtle. But in present day, the choice is no longer important as the price is difference ($100 based on amazon) is not that significant than what was priced in the beginning.

    Reason there LX3 and D-Lux4 were closely compared as they were the same component and design entirely except processor (assumed) and software, after service package. So early buyers were justifying very hard if the 2x cost was worth but no longer need to now.

    Quote Originally Posted by metalgear View Post
    i seriously doubt that you can see the difference in the tonal quality of the lx3 and the dlux4 unless you put the images side by side. there are so many other factors at play eg. your/my monitor settings, our corresponding colour calibration settings and lighting in our rooms that I'm quite sure that the average joe simply cannot tell the difference - well you might not be just that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •