Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bargaining when buying lens?

Default Re: Bargaining when buying lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Showa View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking to get the Canon 50mm F1.8 II, so what filters should i be looking at? I wouldn't want something too expensive? Sorry as i'm on a tight budget!
    Why do you need a filter? Just because sales men tell you to put one on? The front element is already recessed, chances are low to touch it accidentally. In addition, the filter in front will only invite flaring and ghosting. Doesn't matter much which filter brand you take, it's pure physics. So best skip the filter and start taking pictures.

thank you for all your comments. looks like i made my decision now, to skip using a filter! thank you again!

My experience in buying camera stuffs...

When I started buying those stuffs, same as what some members said... Get E-quotes and call them for the price.

But experience tells me that it best to know someone from the shop or even better the sales manager.

Even when that person is not around just quote his/her name and the price is always afew bucks cheaper.

And they wouldn't ask you to buy stuffs you don't need!

Sometimes its just BBB virus after reading the forum and "heart itchy" to buy, but what happens? You would just end up chucking the stuffs in the store room to collect dust.

Just get what you need and make your decisions right always...

Cheers...
    Canon 450D EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm, EF 50mm f1.8II, EFS 17-85mm IS USM, 430EXII, Slik PRO580DX

sorry to hijack ur thread awhile

wanna ask whether anyone bought lens from the shops from chinatown area?
    was there in the evening, happened to ask one of the shops the price of 55-200 nikon lens
    they quoted me 320(which is surprisingly cheap) , one day ago, all the shops in funan quoted me over 400 for the same lens

is it a scam? or wat? can someone advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon79 View Post
    sorry to hijack ur thread awhile

wanna ask whether anyone bought lens from the shops from chinatown area?
    was there in the evening, happened to ask one of the shops the price of 55-200 nikon lens
    they quoted me 320(which is surprisingly cheap) , one day ago, all the shops in funan quoted me over 400 for the same lens

is it a scam? or wat? can someone advise?
    Does it comes with Local or International warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Does it comes with Local or International warranty?
    the guy juz told me 1 year warranty by nikon
    i guess shld be local only bah

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I used my 50mm f/1.8 without a filter. It exhibited worse image quality with a filter than without, and was especially prone to flaring and ghosting.
    erm, u try adding a hood to it...
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    erm, u try adding a hood to it...
    I used it with a hood.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I used it with a hood.
    good to knw that you are using a hood with it... cos i just bought an original hood from amazon for my 28mm... will takes mth before it will arrives to me... lol... via ocean... 2mths maybe... but without USM, its really kinda noisy and slow...
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    good to knw that you are using a hood with it... cos i just bought an original hood from amazon for my 28mm... will takes mth before it will arrives to me... lol... via ocean... 2mths maybe... but without USM, its really kinda noisy and slow...
    Friend, can we not go off topic?

well.. there're reasons why in the first place that people gets UV filters.. other than it serves as a protector to scratch.. it also blocks out the strong UV rays too. do not ever to point your naked lens directly at the sun.. (for some reason you kinda wants to do that) although your lens won't spoil, but your image sensor gets the effect.. i would recommend you to get a cir-pl instead.. not only the rays are deflected, the colors of your image are nicer..

just my too-cents worth for thoughts
    It's Never about the Camera, It's YOU that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jx View Post
    well.. there're reasons why in the first place that people gets UV filters.. other than it serves as a protector to scratch.. it also blocks out the strong UV rays too. do not ever to point your naked lens directly at the sun.. (for some reason you kinda wants to do that) although your lens won't spoil, but your image sensor gets the effect.. i would recommend you to get a cir-pl instead.. not only the rays are deflected, the colors of your image are nicer.
    UV filters will NEVER serve as a protector to your eyes once you point your camera to the sun. Reason is: it's the IR and the focusing of light energy that matters here. What sensors will be damaged depends on the system (LV, LV sensor etc.) and your shooting settings (Auto modes will block due to overexposure).
    If one plans to take pictures of the sun there are filters especially for eclipses, stronger than ND400 filters and blocking UV and IR. Check the Astronomy / Night Photography section here. CPL will also NOT help to protect your eyes in such cases, far too weak.

The normal UV during day gets already filtered by the lens. Nothing reaches the sensor due to the coating within the lens. So why would one put another piece of glass in the way of the light that is not needed but can cause additional trouble (flare, ghosting)? Lenses are designed and produced to work without filters. But I know it's common sales pitch addressing the kiasu part in many people to put a filter on to be protected. Who would agree to go unprotected? But after my fare share of flare and other side effects I have dropped such "lens condoms". Use filter when necessary (CPL, ND, GND) and hood nearly all times. The rest is attention and care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12