Thread: Need advice on getting wide angle lens

Default Need advice on getting wide angle lens

I like shooting structures and buildings. Cannot afford TS lens (close to S$2k).
    Since I have a 50mm lens, should I get a 24mm lens and 35mm lens instead of a typical 24-70 f2.8 or 28-70 f2.8 wide angle lens?
    Interm of convenience and weight, zoom lens definitly has the upper hand. But how does the image quality compare to prime lens?
    Kind of wird to getting a repeating lens ie 50mm (with zoom, that is).
    Any advice is very much appreciated.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

If u can afford a 1st party 24-70 f2.8, go for it. If not, primes will suit you better. Cheap zooms have terrible distortion that will not do for Architecture.
    As I said before, the SIgma 20mm f1.8 is one heck of a lens.

How much is the sigma 20mm f1.8?

Last I know about this lens, Sigma 20 f1.8 selling at about $620 and Sigma 24 f1.8 selling at about $540.

Hey fren! I have the same setup as you!

Also lacking in a wide lens but don't know what to get when to get. Still reading and learning. Anyway, happy buying!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    As I said before, the SIgma 20mm f1.8 is one heck of a lens.
    Don't mind me saying this, but how can you make such an unreserved recommendation when I see you asking others how this lens performs in Dpreview?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6624337

You could consider 20mm primes and try to keep the lens level to avoid keystoning. Or you can try to correct the distortions in photoshop. Zooms can also be used if you have the patience to correct for the barreling in photoshop using the Panotools plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Don't mind me saying this, but how can you make such an unreserved recommendation when I see you asking others how this lens performs in Dpreview?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6624337

Hmm... maybe I should not have. But I did want to bring to his attention that the Sigma is a very good lens. Have read up reviews on it before, and if the reviews were good, I guess he should take note of it.

No offence pls.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Hmm... maybe I should not have. But I did want to bring to his attention that the Sigma is a very good lens. Have read up reviews on it before, and if the reviews were good, I guess he should take note of it.

No offence pls.
    Just wanted to point out the fact that you might sound a bit misleading. "Its one heck of a lens" seems to suggest that you have personal experience with it and that it is an absolute performer. I just felt that it wasn't really appropriate that you make a recommendation here and yet you are asking others about the lens elsewhere, which suggests that you aren't sure of the choices yourself.

A better way of putting it forward would be to just ask him to consider the lens and point him somewhere else for the reviews.

Anyway the Sigma lens in question is favourably reviewed by www.popphoto.com

Bear in mind its specs and filter size in relation to others. There is a huge penalty for that f1.8 aperture.

The 82mm filter thread size also irritates a lot of pple.

I would say it depends on the type of photos u take. If u wanna use it for low light conditions, then the 1.8 aperture will please u. But quality at wide open is only so-so. But if u r landscape shooter, stop it down to say f8 and u will be surprised. This holds true for both Canon and Nikon mount just in case u r wondering. I used it exclusively for street shoots.

My humble suggestion: don't waste your money, get a 3rd party 19-35. Better still, get it second hand, less than $300.

For serious architecture work, you're going to put it on tripod and stop down anyway right? You won't be able to tell the diff after a hi-res scan and PS touchup. Unless you print really big.

The next step up is a 24/3.5L TSE. In between, you're just wasting money.

Thank guys. Good suggestion. 19-35mm wide angle zoom has a diameter of 77mm vivita series 1, same as my 70-200mm f2.8, can share filters. .

But I am concern with Zerstorer comment. Is the image quality difference that visible?

Anayway, since tilt shift lens cost about2k (wrote another thread on this), PS is the only way out for me,

Those 19-35 3rd party zooms have a bit of barreling, but can be corrected in photoshop. I don't think anyone can tell that its corrected if you do a good job, just that you need to experiment to get the correct values.

There will always be better options, better lens, filters, bodies, etc....... just buy what your wallet allows u to and what u need... not what u want.... afterall u are not depending on the lens for your livelihood...