Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowepro Waterproof bag + Silica Gel = dry box?

Default Re: Lowepro Waterproof bag + Silica Gel = dry box?

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    Back in film days, it is not advisable to put the body into a dry box as it might dry out the lubricant. But the current dSLRs, they are loaded with electronics and also glass in front of the sensor.
    DSLRs have lubricated parts as well. See the camera manual, "Environmental Conditions" - that should be your guideline for handling and storage. Don't store too dry. That's why many people here recommend dry cabinets or at least dry boxes with hygrometer. The key is "controlled humidity".

Batteries..maybe not..but I have seen my rechargeable GPs rusting..so will placing them in a dry box help?
    I guess only the contacts were rusty. Can have several reasons, might have started with humidity and electrical current = electro-chemical reactions. Keeping contacts clean already helps.
    Memory chips..this I really do not know. They are not really sealed, are they? If they are not, will those exposed "gold" (or copper) contact deteriorate in the high humidity of the tropics?
    Chips are sealed, no worries. Those Nanometer structures must be sealed. Any dust particle will have the same effect as a soccer ball on a Majong table. Gold is used for the bonding inside the chip and the coating for battery contacts. Reason is that Gold wont oxidize like many other metals. The other parts and components are soldered. Nothing to worry about.

To ortega, a friend was telling me over the phone to "leave my camera open on the cupboard, near my window (the window near me is locked most of the time). Sunlight penetrate my window and will get near (but not touching) to my equipment. Day in day out, wipe the equipments and you will be fine".

Eh, is it workable?

Well like i said, my room really compact, so I can't get a digicabin. Like kaikibbler had said before, what's the big deal of getting a S$100 cabin since I have already invested this much.... The truth, I will like to get one too.

Drybox, I presume you are referring to something like digihub i-case (http://www.digihub.com.sg/SubCategor...nCategoryID=15).

I saw someone recommend using a rechargable silica gel - i can consider that too.
    Imagine spending S$40 on a DIY, wouldn't it better off for me to get a 30L digicabin instead (less hassle too).

Since the idea of Waterproof bag + silica gel NOT EQUAL dry box, then may I ask some of you to recommend me a good thread where I can read more on drybox/digicabin discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by lovesg View Post
    Well like i said, my room really compact, so I can't get a digicabin. Like kaikibbler had said before, what's the big deal of getting a S$100 cabin since I have already invested this much.... The truth, I will like to get one too.
    A dry cabinet is about 50cm tall, 30cm long and 30cm wide. Don't tell me you can't even find space to fit a cuboid cabinet smaller than a typical chair in your room?

Quote Originally Posted by lovesg View Post
    Since the idea of Waterproof bag + silica gel NOT EQUAL dry box, then may I ask some of you to recommend me a good thread where I can read more on drybox/digicabin discussion?
    Sticky thread in Equipment section: Sharing my research on DRY CABINETS

LOL!! I think its better to dump everything into the drybox??

Back in the film days when I was a student and no Club Snap, I left my Nikon D70 and 2 lens in the dry box with silicon. After awhile, I forgot to change the silicon I found Fungus in both my lens. The camera body become sticky (The hand grip area to the back of the camera rubbery material has disintegrated) So now I use Dry Cabinate. The digital type, where you can set the RH usually at about 45%
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    .....The camera body become sticky (The hand grip area to the back of the camera rubbery material has disintegrated) ........
    Wonder if this is caused by the moisture or the rubber aged?

Fungus will produce enzyme that will dissolve organic material. While hand perspiration and chlorine can cause rubber to become brittle.

To prolong the lifespan of body and plastic, once every few usage, coat the rubber grip with high quality car liquid wax.

Wonder if this is caused by the moisture or the rubber aged?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    A dry cabinet is about 50cm tall, 30cm long and 30cm wide. Don't tell me you can't even find space to fit a cuboid cabinet smaller than a typical chair in your room?
    not if u see the mess in my room..hahah

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Back in the film days when I was a student and no Club Snap, I left my Nikon D70 and 2 lens in the dry box with silicon. After awhile, I forgot to change the silicon I found Fungus in both my lens. The camera body become sticky (The hand grip area to the back of the camera rubbery material has disintegrated) So now I use Dry Cabinate. The digital type, where you can set the RH usually at about 45%

dun go too low too...too low might cause some leather (if any) to crack.
    think i read b4 its gd to keep between 40-60%
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12