Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Photoshop gurus on Portrait retouching!Advice!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth,Heaven and Beyond
    Posts
    1,004

    Default Photoshop gurus on Portrait retouching!Advice!

    I saw this over at hwz and was wondering if you people have good tips/expertise in achieving this effect. i do know you can use Gaussian blur and the history brush to do it...but somehow it doesn't turn out as good as i expected it to be. i.e. the blusher isn't that prominent and USM somehow spoils it even after softening the skin etc.

    any gurus care to share their workflow?

    before
    http://xrealmz.com/uploads/1064925205_1.jpg
    After
    http://xrealmz.com/uploads/1064925204_0.jpg

    so do try it out and enlighten me on the work process
    Last edited by togu; 8th November 2003 at 01:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Yos, think you have blurred too much, then USM too much.
    Cos there's significant loss of details and merging of lines, especially in the hair.
    Try not to apply the changes to the whole picture, cos the effects on a certain part of the picture will be different on other parts of the picture.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi CastleintheSky,

    Please do not direct link images from other sites without obtaining prior permission. If you have done so, kindly indicate with credits.

    I have edited the original post so that the image shows up as a link instead.


    Ok, now back to the photo, since there are no colour changes, guess it won't be that hard. I'll make use of healing brush, heavily. Follow by applying a soft focus touchup, you can read about it here,

    http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?.../softfocus.htm


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth,Heaven and Beyond
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togu
    Hi CastleintheSky,

    Please do not direct link images from other sites without obtaining prior permission. If you have done so, kindly indicate with credits.

    I have edited the original post so that the image shows up as a link instead.


    Ok, now back to the photo, since there are no colour changes, guess it won't be that hard. I'll make use of healing brush, heavily. Follow by applying a soft focus touchup, you can read about it here,

    http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?.../softfocus.htm


    ah okay, apologies on the former part. so essentially it'll be almost identical to the steps i mentioned just now, history brush and gaussian blurring, after which is followed by USM?-which is in line like what prismatic mentioned?


    but let's say i only want to do up the face,i'll just use a selection on the area right?somehow my work flow seems to elude me in doing a really nice one-perhaps it's just like what prismatic mentioned, overdoing the blur and usm

  5. #5

    Default

    is this similiar to the effect you wanted?

    I used diffuse glow and manual blurring instead of gaussian.
    Last edited by evildolly; 10th November 2003 at 11:11 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    you just gotta hand it to evildolly when it comes to these stuff.. lol

    but hey dolly, don't you think that mucus part still got a bit there.. maybe can brush it red or something.. dark dark blackish red

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    you just gotta hand it to evildolly when it comes to these stuff.. lol

    but hey dolly, don't you think that mucus part still got a bit there.. maybe can brush it red or something.. dark dark blackish red
    thank you




    hmm you're right.. is this any better>?

  8. #8

    Default

    My my...this is so easy.



    Here's a clue. If you have been shooting high ISOs digitally for a while, you will recognize this immediately. The tell-tale signs are there.

    Just a couple of clicks and some healing.

  9. #9

    Default

    Btw, where's the original thread in HWZ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Heh! Did some PS work on this. Tell me if you like this..... I tried to preserve as much of the original pic as possibl....



  11. #11
    Senior Member wormz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    I think zerstorer did the best job! Care to share your workflow?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    My my...this is so easy.



    Here's a clue. If you have been shooting high ISOs digitally for a while, you will recognize this immediately. The tell-tale signs are there.

    Just a couple of clicks and some healing.
    I like this, but it is a bit *too* smooth, she looks like she was cged, rather than a real person.=) i'd prfer to keep a bit of the original skin texture. hair looks a bit blurred too.=)

    to each his/her own, keke. guess it depends on what effect you want.

    cheers

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evildolly
    I like this, but it is a bit *too* smooth, she looks like she was cged, rather than a real person.=) i'd prfer to keep a bit of the original skin texture. hair looks a bit blurred too.=)

    to each his/her own, keke. guess it depends on what effect you want.

    cheers
    I agree, it has a plasticky look to it, but what I was doing was to achieve the exact effect in the original post.

    I believe what castlesinthesky is asking for is the steps to achieve the effect in the pic he posted. There are also other ways like gaussian+blur and masking and using other de-noising plug-ins. The thing is you can vary the degree and effect you want.

    In this case, the answer to what I did and what was used in the original pic is just one word.....NeatImage.

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth,Heaven and Beyond
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    I agree, it has a plasticky look to it, but what I was doing was to achieve the exact effect in the original post.

    I believe what castlesinthesky is asking for is the steps to achieve the effect in the pic he posted. There are also other ways like gaussian+blur and masking and using other de-noising plug-ins. The thing is you can vary the degree and effect you want.

    In this case, the answer to what I did and what was used in the original pic is just one word.....NeatImage.

    yea i can do the above like the rest, but what i'm interested is the CG/Porcelain doll effect actually which was why i asked regarding the work flow if we used ps7?

    zerstorer-no idea where it is now though! EDMW pages shift like nobody's pictures

    so essentially if i wanted a CG effect using PS7, what would be the optimal workflow besides the steps mentioned and what i did(Gaussian blur+masking+History brush)

    anyone?

  16. #16

    Default

    am i too late?
    here's my try



    hmm cannot link direct?

    http://www.pbase.com/image/23234739
    Last edited by icyflame; 13th November 2003 at 08:32 AM.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    My my...this is so easy.



    Here's a clue. If you have been shooting high ISOs digitally for a while, you will recognize this immediately. The tell-tale signs are there.

    Just a couple of clicks and some healing.
    can enlighten a newbie on what telltale signs to look for?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore Pasir RIs
    Posts
    1,093

    Default


    hmm juz tried out for fun...
    never healed juz removed noise and did curves

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m00nman26

    hmm juz tried out for fun...
    never healed juz removed noise and did curves

    May I know what are the steps to achieve this result? It looks very natural

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •