Thread: DnD shoot advise

Default DnD shoot advise

Hi all,

i got a d300, always using the reflector for forward bounce and pointing up for some ceiling bounce. and using it at iso800.. but sometimes the light abit harsh..

i want to achieve that soft light feel on the subjects, any ideas?

i can only think of pointing the flash directly up and abit behind mi on the ceiling(3-5m) for that huge source of light all going down at the subjects and also filling up their eyes and hair.. will it eat too much flash even @ iso800?
    I guess im a photographer and techie combined...

Default Re: DnD shoot advise

Why not change the angle of your bounce card so that more light goes up and only a little goes forward for fill?

play with your flash EV and u will soon find out why. Make it to + if its too dark, make it to - if its too harsh. Main thing is to have even ambient lighting

Use a diffuser.
    Alpha

calebk: erm, are u talking about tilting the bounce card(onli) towards me instead of 90 degrees or forward?

knpan: oops sorry, not about the overexposure from too much power.. its the hotspots on the forehead nose cheeks that irritates me.. is it onli BIG light source then can make the skin look soft and smooth?

rashkae: okie will try that also next time.. pointing up or direct?
    I guess im a photographer and techie combined...

Quote Originally Posted by LearninKin View Post
    rashkae: okie will try that also next time.. pointing up or direct?
    Pointing up is good; using a whaletail diffuser or a lightsphere works well too.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by LearninKin View Post
    calebk: erm, are u talking about tilting the bounce card(onli) towards me instead of 90 degrees or forward?
    You mentioned "using the reflector for forward bounce and pointing up for some ceiling bounce. and using it at iso800.. but sometimes the light abit harsh.."

What does that actually mean? Is your flash head pointing straight at the ceiling?

i guess u have to use a difusser too, and reduce the output of the flash, and bouce it, these will definitely solve all poblems, if its still harsh, reduce flash power even more, jsut make sure ambient lighting are well exposed without the flash hitting on it, EG, the far away area of the ball room.