Thread: Gugong (Forbidden City) in Mono - Beijing

Default Gugong (Forbidden City) in Mono - Beijing

Hiee..

Here are some photos taken in Forbidden city. The gruelling Winter was a real experience for me.....stuck in the open in a middle of a heavy snow at night and no cab to get back to the hotel.....grrrrrrrrrr!!!....

Surprising that the camera battery survived the temperature....even the camera was out of the bag all the time (-2 deg C to 2deg C in the morning before 9am)....

Here are the photos...

( Meridian Gate )I was among the first ones to be there as i visited a mosque in the morning before i got to the forbidden city. The Forbidden city opens at 8.30am.
    See that the are only car tracks...not many footpritnts yet.... By 9am...there are loads of tour groups at the entrance. Notice the small arch entrance/gate,
    this is like a wind tunnel and its the coldest point of the palace where cold jet of winter wind squeezes through......people are actually dashing through this gate..A higher elevation would be ideal to get the 'S' curve of the river.

( Meridian gate - Inside )This is the photo of the first part of the palace ground Right after the main entrance. There are small streams/river canal running across this ground. Small little bridges links the two banks. This shot was made possible with a cokin graduated grey for toning the sky to enable the details of the sky. Increasing the exposure by 1 stop helped bring up the details on the building and the filter tone down the washed out sky.

( Gate of Supreme Harmony )Here is a wide shot of the gate to the first Hall.
    Luckily i was there early to get a shot with less people around. Else it would look like ants infested bread..

( Gate of Supreme Harmony ) One of those play shots....

( After the Gate of Supreme Harmony ) A DOF test shot....at wide angle

( Hall of Supreme Harmony - View from the Gate) See the crowd.....!!!

( The Gate Door ) Here is what the door to those gates looked like!!! Large Bolts! got no polariser at the time...but feel that the reflefction addes to the mood.

The palace is really big ....i mean big...as in Very Big!!!!!...you woul dnot be able to cover it in half a day!!!!....well...just hoe that these photos above give you some idea on what type of things you would probably can take there. Remember to bring soem filters with you especially on times like winter ...as you can see the snow really covers 80% of the frame most of the time!!!!!....

Regards,
    sulhan
    Last edited by sulhan; 9th November 2003 at 12:21 AM.

Very nice sulhan! Good idea to use mono - I wonder if the colour shots will look as good. I don't suppose you were using the A1 for these shots?

Do you often travel to China? I remember that you had posted some pics from a previous trip before.
    Last edited by melnjes; 8th November 2003 at 11:45 AM.

Great shots! I like "Meridian gate - Inside", especially.
    didn't notice the "river" there which is a source of water for these palace folks.

the bronze vat in "After the Gate of Supreme Harmony" are for storing water for fire fighting

Surprise that there is still crowd during winter.
    It's much worst (the crowd) when I was there last month. (no snow yet)
    Practically given up to continue taking photo.
    Last edited by zOOm; 8th November 2003 at 12:19 PM.

Cool

Wow, great pictures Sulhan! I like the 2nd and 3rd pics most.

Default Hahahah...

Hiee...

There colored photos are great too.....here are some...talking about crowd...and winter.....i didn't expect the snow...wasn't prepared...got myself a pair of gloves and beanie for 50RMB outside the forbidden palace....

BTW...to answer your question....yup the photos were taken with the A1.

( The Meridian Gate ) In Color...

( Outwards view ) Photo taken while looking for the "CeSOu" - toilet...which was
    by the ramp on the right of the red building where the people are seen here walking towards it.

( The Door ) Large brass bolts ...cracked and peeling red paint.

( Outside ..by the Tiananmen Square ) Heading back...just thought of taking
    a shot to wrap up the visit to the Forbidden City....included some snow at the bottom left...

( And me.... ) Here the photo is seen with vignetting corners. This was due
    to the fact that i did not want to remove the skylight filter when the cokin
    filter was used. In this case....i would probably need the larger P series one.

regards,
    me
    Last edited by sulhan; 8th November 2003 at 10:58 PM.

qianmen shops selling "North Face" winter jacket (good built quality but I don't think it is real Goretex material) at only 300RMB (if u bargain) or 250RMB (if u bargain even harder kekekeke ... )
    heard that China have a early winter this year.

btw, were your A1 anti-shake feature turn on?
    Last edited by zOOm; 8th November 2003 at 12:56 PM.

Very nice sulhan. Liked the composition and the way you used the WA. Thanks for showing the color shots too!

Very nice. Prefer the mono tone tho.

Great shots. You are very fortunate. Usually the Forbidden City is filled with lots of people. Went there during autumn many years back...very difficult to get shots without being blocked by people!

I like the shot of Gate of Supreme Harmony. Brings out the aloneness of the palace. Reflects the times when the palace was filled with intrigue and mystery.

Wonderful pics Sulhan! But I prefer them in colour. Mono seems to make the place sombre.

Default mono

Hi

I like yr mono shot especially pic2. The S curve composition is good, it leads my eyes right to the building .... nice shot...

I also like the colour pic2, the tone of the sky is interesting, and the building just jumps out of the pic....

nice series.... very surreal when it comes to snow and building contrast.. the mono series takes the cake!

Default One thing i realise....

Hiee....

Thanks for the pointers. I have also learned something on this low temperature photography session. The camera that one is using would be better off with controls that is accessible while wearing gloves!!!.

Luckily i was able to do all that on my camera with the gloves on.....things like aperture,shutter, EV compensation, timer release....etc.

The camera itself was very cold too!! .........

Well.....its an eye opener....for me....

rgds,
    sulhan
    Last edited by sulhan; 9th November 2003 at 12:20 AM.

Sulhan, those pictures are really nice. The colouring is brilliant, wonderful!! Love your pictures up there, man!
    *phew*

Hi Sulhan,

I will going down to Beijing next month. Understand that Beijing is snowing now.
    Any photography tips? I will be getting the Oly 5060. Like what filters, wide, tele lens, what exposure to take for snow photo etc...

The second shot is lovely. The use of river to lead our eyes to the building is great.