Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Netbook... anyone tried?

Default Re: Netbook... anyone tried?

Not sure about your Lenovo, but the EeePC has the ability to create a 'virtual desktop'. You see a 1024x600 'window' into say a 1024x768 desktop (or larger) but as you move your mouse around the desktop pans so you can see other bits of it. Doesn't sound that convenient but actually can be quite useable in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Not sure about your Lenovo, but the EeePC has the ability to create a 'virtual desktop'. You see a 1024x600 'window' into say a 1024x768 desktop (or larger) but as you move your mouse around the desktop pans so you can see other bits of it. Doesn't sound that convenient but actually can be quite useable in the field.
    Guess I was too focused on whether the processing power can do the job rather than the other limitation (of screen size), hence the use of a large monitor and keyboard just to make things easier. Didn't know that this would confound the experiment.

Anyhow I tried using the "process multiple files" function and ran into the same limitation - I can't do anything below the 600 lower limit. Same situation when importing photos from cards.

So I tried flying blind - select only those items where I can see, then hit enter. Lo and behold it worked on both the downloading and the process multiple files. I have not tried flying blind as yet with camera raw.

So the trouble I have now is not the processing power but the minimum resolution not meeting the 768 limits.

Certainly interested to know how to do this virtual desktop - is it part of XP for netbook or ASUS has a brilliant idea? Care to share how this virtual desk top is created?
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 18th June 2009 at 11:07 PM.

It is not a "virtual desktop". That is done by unchecking the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in your display properties control panel. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor and you should see the option. Uncheck then choose the desired resolution such as 1024x768. Therefore, all PC/netbook/notebook are able to do this. This may be useful when certain application will not start up because the resolution is too low, eg. PhotoMechanics.
    Last edited by Randius; 18th June 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Well, different names for the same thing.. the procedure you've described is correct, I do that and I can use a higher resolution on my Eee, taking into consideration that the display pans around as you move your mouse.

I'm waiting and hoping Apple will launch a Netbook (or a Macbook Nano)

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Unlikely I think I read before an online article about Steve Jobs or one of Apple's head honchos lambasting the netbook segment, when asked in the interview whether Apple would join the fray to produce their own netbook. Something to the effect of calling them "low-quality, underpowered laptops", and then mentioned that Apple would never produce something of that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Unlikely I think I read before an online article about Steve Jobs or one of Apple's head honchos lambasting the netbook segment, when asked in the interview whether Apple would join the fray to produce their own netbook. Something to the effect of calling them "low-quality, underpowered laptops", and then mentioned that Apple would never produce something of that quality.
    Maybe they'll market their netbook as a more powerful iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    It is not a "virtual desktop". That is done by unchecking the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in your display properties control panel. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor and you should see the option. Uncheck then choose the desired resolution such as 1024x768. Therefore, all PC/netbook/notebook are able to do this. This may be useful when certain application will not start up because the resolution is too low, eg. PhotoMechanics.
    Well, different names for the same thing.. the procedure you've described is correct, I do that and I can use a higher resolution on my Eee, taking into consideration that the display pans around as you move your mouse.
    Hi guys,
    Whatever the name came by, I want to say a big THANK YOU for enlightening me! It works! Like Sloth said, the feeling is weird and probably not the mode to keep the netbook in, but it sure gets me out of flying blind.

I will still work with 600 as the default resolution and move over to 768 by unlocking the "hide" mode whenever I need higher resolution, for now it is for importing photos and doing camera raw.

I gave myself a month to break-in the netbook and it took only 1 week! Manado here I come! Errr... July 17, arggghhh still have to wait....

Thanks guys.

just wondering: how will it look if you switch over to the higher resolution, and output to a LCD TV or something? will you still get chopped off sides or a panning display?

it might be something to explore..basically bringing the processing power and just hijacking any TV in sight! if it works, i'm going to get a netbook too! imagine sorting out pictures on a 42inch TV on a live-aboard..bliss!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    just wondering: how will it look if you switch over to the higher resolution, and output to a LCD TV or something? will you still get chopped off sides or a panning display?

it might be something to explore..basically bringing the processing power and just hijacking any TV in sight! if it works, i'm going to get a netbook too! imagine sorting out pictures on a 42inch TV on a live-aboard..bliss!
    Interesting idea!

By the way, the Sony netbook looks very beautiful.

Interesting idea!

By the way, the Sony netbook looks very beautiful.
    It comes with hefty price tag too.

BTW those looking for netbook...u may wanna hang on to your wallet till the next wave arrives...the upcoming Lenovo S12 for instance claims to have better graphics as Nvidia provides its expertise with its Ion chipset. Not to mention 12" screen too.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Hi guys,
    Whatever the name came by, I want to say a big THANK YOU for enlightening me! It works! Like Sloth said, the feeling is weird and probably not the mode to keep the netbook in, but it sure gets me out of flying blind.

I will still work with 600 as the default resolution and move over to 768 by unlocking the "hide" mode whenever I need higher resolution, for now it is for importing photos and doing camera raw.

I gave myself a month to break-in the netbook and it took only 1 week! Manado here I come! Errr... July 17, arggghhh still have to wait....

Thanks guys.
    Cool

Technology is riddled with compromises - it's what we can live with, and what we can't live with. Assuming size/weight/cost wasn't a consideration, Apple's got this really swee 17" Macbook Pro in the meantime, it's good to know the workaround works for you.

Hi...Great thread...

I am glad I came upon this thread.

I am looking for a light laptop/netbook to bring ard my trips.

I do not do professional shootings...only with digital cameras.
    The photos come in sizes mostly2048 x 1536, max 4000 x 3000

I will mainly use it for
    1) downloading the photos from camera
    2) editing the photos' WB, contrast, color, shadows/highlights, crop and merging a few photos together using Photoshop CS2 (or is photoshop 7 recommended?)
    3) Stitching paranomic images with PTgui
    4) blog writing, web surfing, msn, skype
    5) watching avi/vob shows via a larger TV screen..jus need it to output

From what I read so far, it seems like leveno s10 should not have a prob with this jobs?
    Am considering between s10 and samsung NC10...Anybody have experience with the NC10?
    Which have a better performance?

Have been carrying my 2.3 kg macbook during travels..which can be a pain when backpacking..
    Hope to confirm that those jobs I need to do will work..before I plunge for the purchase..

Thanks a million

Blog Entries

thread moved to digital darkroom

Blog Entries

i believe it is called a macbook air

I just got myself a lenovo S10 for a steal... $300... using it to post this in clubsnap. I love it.. I use it to surf, read my ebook, show my latest photos to family and friends. I dont think I will do much photo editing with the netbook, it is just too slow compared to my quad-core PC...
    MyFlickr
    Look for more and you'll see more

wow! thats a real steal .... off vr/hardware zone?

My company uses several netbooks.. Among them Asus EEPC with Solid State hard disk.. several Acer Aspires, HP Mini.

I feel the solid state hard disk makes a difference.. smaller capacity but speed makes up for it..
    I use the eepc for batch processing via photoshop.. quite ok..

Will try using Lightroom soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt View Post
    wow! thats a real steal .... off vr/hardware zone?
    from a friend..
    MyFlickr
    Look for more and you'll see more

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post

Sorry for the late reply. Been away - diving, he he...

I use the netbook at home using an external keyboard and a 20 inch LCD monitor with 1440x900 resolution. No problem, windows XP will detect that it is a larger screen and will work accordingly.

I have also connected it to my 26" Samsung LCD TV through the VGA cable, ok also. Didn't play with the resolution setting there.

Yeah 42" can so long as there is VGA. But live-aboard with 42" screen - you can afford that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast