Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Netbook... anyone tried?

Default Re: Netbook... anyone tried?

If you want a good portable notebook to edit photos, I do suggest the lenovo x200. Decent computing power at 1.5kg and 3-ish hrs of battery life with the 6-cell.

Sony vaios are nice and powerful too but i doubt they're built to last. Plus the lenovo has 3 years warranty.
    EOS 5Dmk2 | 16-35 f2/8 II | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 II| 35 f/2.0 | 15-30 f/3.5-4.5 | 580EXII |

Err.... would like to point out that most NetBook only have a screen size of 8''.... with the newer model maybe at 10".... isn't it a little hard on your eyes ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    If you are thinking of getting one, if you can, get a full specs ultra portable, it will serve you much better in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xross.Fire View Post
    If you want a good portable notebook to edit photos, I do suggest the lenovo x200. Decent computing power at 1.5kg and 3-ish hrs of battery life with the 6-cell.

Sony vaios are nice and powerful too but i doubt they're built to last. Plus the lenovo has 3 years warranty.
    Well, good advise. My situation - already have 40kg of dive gear, underwater casing, underwater strobe, dive lights, etc. You can see how a netbook starts to be very attractive... It may be a PITA with the small screen, low res, everything. If you travel with 40kg of dive gear (excluding the camera and lenses that never get checked in)... you'll see.

I'll check out the Lenovo, though. VAIO and other *ony products - a gun over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Err.... would like to point out that most NetBook only have a screen size of 8''.... with the newer model maybe at 10".... isn't it a little hard on your eyes ??
    I am impressed! You actually remember how old I am???
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 27th April 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    I am impressed! You actually remember how old I am???

Not really..... but there ain't many Photographer cum Scuba Divers that I know and is 'young'.... which included me. I was thinking of bringing my Asus Netbook for my Lembeh trip this July... more as storage than as a editing platform (like I said.... 8" screen ).

But the 5hr+ battery life is a great adv compare to normal, more heavy and bigger Notebook.

I run Lightroom on my Asus EEEPC 1000H. Slightly slow but still usable, though my photos are 6MP only.

The not-so-comfortable part is actually the screen ratio (not size) of 1024 x 600 , where you usually can't view your photo (or website) fully in the vertical axis.

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Not really..... but there ain't many Photographer cum Scuba Divers that I know and is 'young'.... which included me. I was thinking of bringing my Asus Netbook for my Lembeh trip this July... more as storage than as a editing platform (like I said.... 8" screen ).

But the 5hr+ battery life is a great adv compare to normal, more heavy and bigger Notebook.
    Exactly my thoughts. Anyway the urgency of getting a good answer to this question just disappeared - I cancelled my trip to Manado this Labour Day weekend due to - of all thing - the swine flu. I had to stay back to coordinate company's business continuity planning effort.

Having read all these feedback it is, to me, more than ok to buy a netbook for downloading and storage (for which I intend to bring along a 250GB HDD).

Now to go back to the piggy flu thing....

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    I run Lightroom on my Asus EEEPC 1000H. Slightly slow but still usable, though my photos are 6MP only.

The not-so-comfortable part is actually the screen ratio (not size) of 1024 x 600 , where you usually can't view your photo (or website) fully in the vertical axis.
    That's good feedback - I needed to know that the netbook won't crash... slow's ok, usable is good. Anyway my S2Pro is also 6MP, although shooting in raw it behaves like 12MP. And when I use my D300 or D60, I only need to download, no need to process, so should pose no problem.

My intention is to load PS Elements 6.0 and Capture NX. So far it appears if I do not demand too much it will be work-able, a bit like my S2Pro in today's world, slowly but still get there.

When I got a Netbook for my sis a few months back, I was told that the Atom processor being used is the same as those used in PDA. Not sure whether that's true but it's enough to make me think twice about relying it on heavy processing stuff.

As name already suggests, the Netbook is really primed for soft usage like surfing, email and document processing.
    Last edited by HeiPiGu; 28th April 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Exactly my thoughts. Anyway the urgency of getting a good answer to this question just disappeared - I cancelled my trip to Manado this Labour Day weekend due to - of all thing - the swine flu. I had to stay back to coordinate company's business continuity planning effort.

Having read all these feedback it is, to me, more than ok to buy a netbook for downloading and storage (for which I intend to bring along a 250GB HDD).

Now to go back to the piggy flu thing....
    I'm using Acer Aspire One AOA150 with internal 160Gb HD. A bit slow but definitely useable, stability is not an issue. In fact, to speed things up, I usually hibernates the machine instead of doing a complete shutdown.

Got to use some tricks to get the screen calibrated though because the Spyder 3 software needs about 768px in the vertical dimension to run properly, so I'm about 168px short.

Photoshop Elements is out because it requires 1024x768 minimum resolution. You can set the resolution to 1024x768 but the screen will pan when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen but I find that a pain. I use Irfanview for viewing and some simple editing and use GIMP when more advanced stuff is required.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 28th April 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    When I got a Netbook for my sis a few months back, I was told that the Atom processor being used is the same as those used in PDA.
    Pure rubbish. PDAs user ARM processors, a different architecture entirely from the x86 Atom processors.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Pure rubbish. PDAs user ARM processors, a different architecture entirely from the x86 Atom processors.
    Well that's a relief for me then, cause I'm not really a tech savvy person. At least I feel better now about getting the Netbook for her

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I'm using Acer Aspire One AOA150 with internal 160Gb HD. A bit slow but definitely useable, stability is not an issue. In fact, to speed things up, I usually hibernates the machine instead of doing a complete shutdown.

Got to use some tricks to get the screen calibrated though because the Spyder 3 software needs about 768px in the vertical dimension to run properly, so I'm about 168px short.

Photoshop Elements is out because it requires 1024x768 minimum resolution. You can set the resolution to 1024x768 but the screen will pan when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen but I find that a pain. I use Irfanview for viewing and some simple editing and use GIMP when more advanced stuff is required.
    That's a good tip. I'll wait a month or two, my trip pushed to July, so I will buy in June. Maybe by then there will be some that will give 1024x768?

If Elements will run that's good enough. I just need to do the downloading and converting by batch. Leave the heavier stuff to the desk top till later.

Appreciate all the comments....

heehee.... short of Somali Pirates moving their WHOLE OPERATION to Lembeh Straits.... I die die also will go, bird/swine/cattle/goat/sheep/dog/cat flu or not.....

I a bit swa-ku on this netbook thing. Can get recommendation on what are commonly available (like difference between ATOM processors), minimum configuration, etc?

Actual netbook recommendation also welcome.

Thanks.

own an axioo pico djm series netbook .. 10.1" .
    and gf owns acer one 8.9"

both have photoshop elements 2 and adobe cs3.

will it run smoothly ? NO. expect lags but if you're patient you can go ahead with it.

uploading pics only ? yes why not? comparing the intel atom to lets say the old intel centrino 1.6ghz.. not much difference except the old centrinos has better oomph.

That's a good tip. I'll wait a month or two, my trip pushed to July, so I will buy in June. Maybe by then there will be some that will give 1024x768?

If Elements will run that's good enough. I just need to do the downloading and converting by batch. Leave the heavier stuff to the desk top till later.

some swear by Lenovo S10, some by Asus , some by MSI Wind.
    if you do look closely, all their specs be it MSI,Lenovo,Acer, LG,Toshiba all have similiar specs!

1.6ghz Atom or 1.66ghz
    1gb/2gb ram
    160gb hdd
    either 10.1" or 8.9"
    wireless
    etc (no cd)

TS, you might wanna look at dell mini12. It's running on INtel Atom also, but only difference is that its running on
    1) Windows Vista
    2) 12.1" screen.
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
    Last edited by NeTHaCk; 29th April 2009 at 01:11 PM.

To confuse u further, check out faster Atom 280 model from Asus

http://www.hkepc.com/2527

Anyhow I am using Lenovo S10, good enought with web surfing and Google Picasa

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    both have photoshop elements 2 and adobe cs3.

will it run smoothly ? NO. expect lags but if you're patient you can go ahead with it.

uploading pics only ? yes why not? comparing the intel atom to lets say the old intel centrino 1.6ghz.. not much difference except the old centrinos has better oomph.

some swear by Lenovo S10, some by Asus , some by MSI Wind.
    if you do look closely, all their specs be it MSI,Lenovo,Acer, LG,Toshiba all have similiar specs!

1.6ghz Atom or 1.66ghz
    1gb/2gb ram
    160gb hdd
    either 10.1" or 8.9"
    wireless
    etc (no cd)

TS, you might wanna look at dell mini12. It's running on INtel Atom also, but only difference is that its running on
    1) Windows Vista
    2) 12.1" screen.
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
    Thanks - good to know that. Definitely set on getting a netbook. Elements 6.0 just to download and do batch conversion.

Vista is a different animal all together. I think I don't need extra challenges as the netbook processor probably runs too slow for vista anyway. XP should be the platform...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    To confuse u further, check out faster Atom 280 model from Asus

http://www.hkepc.com/2527

Anyhow I am using Lenovo S10, good enought with web surfing and Google Picasa
    No problem, I will wait a bit... mid to end june.... then get the netbook!!!!

Netbooks will be limited to 600px vertical resolution because they don't want it to hurt their mainstream notebook range. I think there is some kind of stupid agreement in place.

Get the Fujitsu U series NB, similar in size and able to normal processor. Atom processor cannot handle and you must also watch out for the graphic card as some editor does not allow installation bec of lower resolution.

Hi, thought of getting a netbook but am afraid that it may be too slow to handle some of the task.

For traveling only, and not the full fledged CS4 stuff, I am looking for ability to say download RAW photos and using PS Elements 6.0 to do initial processing - batch convert the day's shots to jpg basic.

Speed is not the essence, of course it cannot take 12 hours, but reasonable time like maybe 1-2 hours to download say 150 shots and do initial processing. Or would starting up Elements hang the netbook?

Or put it another way, would today's netbook be similar in performance to 2-3 year old notebook, like IBM Lenovo T41?

Thanks for any insights.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast