Thread: Is our society too work orientated?

Default Is our society too work orientated?

To the point when people (I do) often feel guilty for relaxing/enjoying hobbies without thinking that they are 'wasting time' that could have been used for work/studies etc?

I think it's more of an Asian thing.. In the states, people put a lot of emphasis on really enjoying themselves and slacking off on weekends (and after work).

Default Re: Is our society too work orientated?

Depends on perspectives, but yes, we seem to have gotten so conditioned to think and feel that quantity sometimes superceeds quality. I know of many people who feel guilty as heck when they work efficiently and can leave on the dot, and their colleagues are still struggling for whatever reason.

In some US firms, they don't care even if you come in the afternoon or don't turn up at all, as long as you deliver what you're supposed to by when you're supposed to. Also, from my US friends, I feel that they generally do things in a big way, whatever it is. Work hard, play even harder. Sometimes, it almost feels like they're constantly 'forcing' themselves to play harder and harder like in some kind of competition.

Default Re: Is our society too work orientated?

what did our mums tell us when we are young?
    "if you don't study/work hard, you will be a road sweeper one day!"

what did our wives tell our children nowadays?
    "if you don't study/work hard, you don't even have a change to be a road sweeper one day!"

We can't lose out, we have to be Number One, and there is a price to pay to be Number One.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio