Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prosumer vs DSLR

Default Re: Prosumer vs DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Not exactly. The lens will give the more prominent result. To me the camera itself is just like a recording medium.
    I agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by rexter View Post
    I'm taking Nikon D5000 and Panasonic GH1 into consideration but does anyone have any idea when they will come out?
    d5000 is out...saw it at harvey norman sale at expo today
    $1200 with 18-55vr kit
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    d5000 is out...saw it at harvey norman sale at expo today
    $1200 with 18-55vr kit
    Yeah I went to see it yesterday. The salesman introduced canon 500d to me. It has video function as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Actually both matters.
    Both, and the most important - the vision.

(on second thought, body doesn't matter to some - the film speed and brand does. )

if u can be at the stage of deciding between a dslr and a prosumer, just buy a prosumer.
    if u can be in such a fix, most prob u don't even know what is gd for u.
    i would never recommend someone who is in your situation to buy a dslr.
    dslr system is an endless pit.
    just explore the photographic art on a prosumer first.
    Final advice: don't buy a dslr for the sake of just buying one, as many people owns one.
    Last edited by Fotophilic; 2nd May 2009 at 01:33 PM.
    cameras are not made of tofu

What Nikontkl said below makes a lot of sense.

The film matters in the past. This has now become the CCD/CMOS sensor issue.

The lens matters that is definite. I've 28-200mm zooms that have caused headaches with chromatic aberrations and sharpness.

The body matters as well because some cameras with good sensors have poor control settings in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    IMO I agree with Vince123123

think of the DSLR body now as a camera and also the film grade. old days of film the camera is 1 component and lense is another and also the film used is another factor, of which all 3 can be a independent variable. but now the film is replace by the CMOS sensor and this sensor is not changable like film.

another point we can ponder about is that back in film days the normal range of film we use are like what? 100-800 or 1000 ISO but now CMOS sensor have open up the range of 1600, 3200 and even 6400 to photographers. ISO 1600/3200/6400 have open up another options of photography at night where light is dim/low. u cannot capture shots of moving people at night in dim lit area with ISO 400 or 800(common film ISO) at speed of 1/50 or 1/60. its either under expose of motion blur of the subject. with ISO 3200 the chances to capture a good shot under the same situition is now possible.

IMO the camera body now play a important part, equal to that of lense. a F3.5 lens (normal kit lens) would be able to perform well at night if couple with a high ISO performance body, but a F2.8 lens (high/pro grade) might not be able to get a proper expose picture with a body that is limited to ISO 400/800

moi 2 cents

vince123123
    Guests

Everything matters lah the man, the eqpt, every part of it

Quote Originally Posted by cy_j View Post
    Both, and the most important - the vision.

(on second thought, body doesn't matter to some - the film speed and brand does. )

Almost 2 yrs ago i was in the same situation. Considering a DSLR or prosumer.
    didnt want a DSLR as I was not satisfied with the range from the kit lens of 18-55mm and didnt want to spend more $$$ on lens as well as ludging spare lens ard even though I know the quality is so much better.

Hence got myself a FZ18. Pretty happy with it initially playing on A / S / M mode but pretty soon frustrated as the camera is good as that oso my skill not good resulting picture didnt turn out to my liking. eventually I just leave it to IA mode to take pictures.

After serious considerations, just got my D90 yesterday. Anyhow take pics the quality oso damn good. makes taking pics so much enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by HKSfz18 View Post
    Almost 2 yrs ago i was in the same situation. Considering a DSLR or prosumer.
    didnt want a DSLR as I was not satisfied with the range from the kit lens of 18-55mm and didnt want to spend more $$$ on lens as well as ludging spare lens ard even though I know the quality is so much better.

Hence got myself a FZ18. Pretty happy with it initially playing on A / S / M mode but pretty soon frustrated as the camera is good as that oso my skill not good resulting picture didnt turn out to my liking. eventually I just leave it to IA mode to take pictures.

After serious considerations, just got my D90 yesterday. Anyhow take pics the quality oso damn good. makes taking pics so much enjoyable.
    i agree mostly with most of the replies here that do not go into DSLR when you do not know what you're in for. I know i know, some may bash by saying, how else then we know we are ready? I think what HKSfz18 had mentioned, he played with his prosumer for a while, exploring the different modes (and i assume shooting quite a bit) and understanding, well, the basics of how to capture a good shot etc.

it makes a difference i would say. i remembered when i first started out dslr, though i had somewhat short experience doing some "more then casual" shots, i was still struggling when i got my dslr. was so frustrated that i somehow could not even get a "good" shot and i lament if it had goton worse with getting a dslr, maybe i should have stuck to a P&S. but i guess i pressed on, and i would say the learning journey had been a steep but enjoyable one.

TS, if you're the kind that is not prepared to invest the time, efforts, energy (yesh alot of sweat in the walkabouts, cycling, trekking with your heavy gears), and spending alot of time reading up, experimenting, bugging friends and of course, $$$ erm. i won't say you won't learn, but it'll just be more frustrating. (guess quite a lot gave up on dslr and went back to P&S here).

well, just my $1 wroth here. all the best in your hunt for your camera!
    Licence to shoot.

Between a DSLR and a prosumer is more like the DSLR got a large limits in terms of the functions, prosumer like DSLR got A, S, P, M modes also

Prosumer camera offer large zoom range in a compact body, user can play around and learn about the range he/she love to shot at. The aperture of prosumer is more limited normally 2.8-8, cant compare to DSLR lens of 2.8-22 or even wider limits but then again most snappers are snapping at 2.8-8 this range. shutter speed more or less the same between DSLR and prosumer from 30s - 1/4000 but then again most snappers never touch the 1/1000 and beyond. so in terms of capability IMO a prosumer is enough for most snappers.

the real differents IMO would really be the sensor, DSLR having a larger sensor give better picture quality at higher ISO of 400 and above compare to most prosumer. then again prosumer will always be a un disputed champion compare to DSLR in terms of size and weight. NOT all, like to lug around a ton or parts of camera gears.

If u are a casual snapper, a prosumer is best.

Maybe want to learn or pick up photography, a prosumer can let u learn and understand what u want in your dream snapping system.

Seriously want to step into the bottomless pit, go try out the different brand of system to find the one u like and take on a entry system and further expore to find what u want and from there upgrade or fall in deeper in the lense BBB virus LOL

my story: in 2003, decided to some day pick up photography, digital camera is very much in its early ages and DSLR are really super expensive, to gear myself up i bought a 5megapix minolta Dimage F300, a compact size prosumer with 3x zoom (36-108mm) f2.8-f8. the Dimage F300 became my platform in picking up photography, used it to learn about aperture, shutter speed, ISO. stop using my Dimage F300 after my brother drop it while on a trip and twisted the entire camera body in 2005. Dimage F300 have lay down my foundation of photography and in 2007, step on to DSLR (Nikon D80) DSLR with its larger limits in terms of aperture and ISO further my knowledge of playing around with aperture, speed and ISO. understand what I wanted in my camera and further upgraded to Nikon D700 in 2009. now happily shooting, and knowing the limits of my gears and under what condition what sort of settings i should be using to achieve what i want and under what condition to give up shooting as it is impossible to produce any good picture with the gears i am using at the moment.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Pretty much my route as well. Though I compressed it into 6 months what Nixon took 4 years. Bought a LX3 (f2.0 ) to learn how to properly use a camera first before upgrading to a DSLR (just bought a 50D).
    If you are just starting out, a compact is definetly better in term of learning photography. Unless you enjoy carrying around a ton of equipments. Which is also the reason why I'm keeping my LX3. It's simply much much easier to carry around. Not to mention if you enjoy taking street photography. The reaction from strangers is vastly different when you are holding a DSLR.
    But all in all, equipment really doesn't matter that much. There are pictures from flickr where people took pictures with their 3 MP phone camera that look alot better that what I took from my DSLR Just go with whatever you feel comfortable and take pictures you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Everything matters lah the man, the eqpt, every part of it
    i agree with you here, every part matters and will dictate the results of your pic. imagine a human without complete body parts? how is that human complete?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123