Thread: Aspiring to be a travel photographer

Gothic_Gal
    Guests

Question Aspiring to be a travel photographer

Hi ppl,
    I'm a JC student and am gonna take my A's this year. I'm aspiring to be a travel photographer, but am not very sure on how to go about doing that in Singapore. Where should i go after my A's?
    I would very much appreciate any advices from anyone. Thank you.

hmm.. what is a travel photographer??

i think its someone who travels take photos of the place for magazine or newspaper or maybe tour agency.etc etc

Hmm...
    Possibly these two degrees if you are really serious about it and still have a decent education to boot...

Undergrad Course - BA (Hons) Communications and Sociology

followed by...

Postgrad Course - MA in Photography and Urban Culture

Just possibilities and if you want more details, I can introduce you to Paul Halliday who is the Course Director here in London and also a freelance travel photographer on the side!

my 2 cents - i don't think there's a full-time travel photographer in our part of the world. if you plan to do travel photography, you probably need to expand your work to include other forms of commercial/paid photography, preferably related to magazines and other media.

i wish to join national geographic as an underwater photographer! :P

ok, just to share some info

even when my professional friends get "travel" assignments, they usually don't pay, they trade the trip for photos, something like that.

and if you want to be a writer, photographer, or anything in those related creative field, there needs to be alot of self initiative.

for example, you need to have your portfolio of self projects, you can't wait for someone to give you the oppotunity to travel before you start doing it.

cheers

Har, don't go course can or not?

seriously, Gothic_Gal, I don't think there is a "pure" travel photographer (even in other parts of the world); most would do "some other stuff"
    of course, for those who are more qualified to comment, pls share, I also want to know!! I also want.....

..NuTs..

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    Hmm...
    Possibly these two degrees if you are really serious about it and still have a decent education to boot...

Undergrad Course - BA (Hons) Communications and Sociology

followed by...

Postgrad Course - MA in Photography and Urban Culture

Just possibilities and if you want more details, I can introduce you to Paul Halliday who is the Course Director here in London and also a freelance travel photographer on the side!

http://www.wendychan.com/ >>Singapore based travel photographer

study hard, secure a good degree and then get a good job that gives u lot of $$ & free time to travel round & round & round the world ....
    Last edited by clizeer; 8th November 2003 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clizeer
    get a good job that gives u lot of $$ & free time to travel round & round & round the world ....
    Spot on, not to forget mentioning about being able to afford the $$$$$ equiptment too.

Gothic_Gal
    Guests

Default Thank you all..

Wow! Thank you all for your response, i'll take them into considerations.
    Do you people organise any 'expeditions' or backpacking of sorts, to overseas? B'cos i really want to go backpacking in Europe and be bz snapping pics away. hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic_Gal
    Wow! Thank you all for your response, i'll take them into considerations.
    Do you people organise any 'expeditions' or backpacking of sorts, to overseas? B'cos i really want to go backpacking in Europe and be bz snapping pics away. hehe...
    wah let me know if you want to go, i'm keen too! probably organizing a trip upon my graduation

Hi there,

I had a friend who did mass communication, now she is working as a photojournalist with Discovery channel! Base in U.S of course.