Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Hey guys. I've decided to get a Manfrotto 680B 4sect monopod. With my 70-200, I don't really need a head, because it has the tripod ring. However, with my shorter lenses, I'll definitely want a head, so here's my question.

    Should I be looking for a tilt head, or will a ballhead be better? Is the 488RC2 from manfrotto a good head? I see the photograph, and there's this separate "ball lock" knob at the side. Is that tension control? If it is, my problem is solved, because while I want the Markins Q3, I can't possibly afford that plus the different arca swiss plates in the near future.

    Manfrotto 488RC2:


    Oh, S$105 for the Manfrotto 680B monopod is the average price, right? Quoted by John3:16. How much is the 488RC2 new? S$150? Better to buy from CP or John3:16?

    Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  2. #2
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    488 on a monopod.... is too overkill.
    big and heavy on one side of monopod.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Dun think you need such a big ballhead.

    Using tilt head without tripod collar can be very troublesome if you change from portrait to landscape (or the other way) very often. Faced this problem when using it for macro.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    488 on a monopod.... is too overkill.
    big and heavy on one side of monopod.
    Oh you think so? But I'm going to be using my 70-200 and possibly a 1 series body with flash by the end of year, wouldn't the 488 have more stability over the 486 because of the bigger ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by KY1977 View Post
    Dun think you need such a big ballhead.

    Using tilt head without tripod collar can be very troublesome if you change from portrait to landscape (or the other way) very often. Faced this problem when using it for macro.
    @ tilt head issues, yes, that's exactly what I'm facing. I saw my friend use his monopod with a short lens last time without a camera rotating device or ballhead, and he had to shoot with the monopod swinging to the right. Comical sight, really.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  5. #5
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    just need a manfrotto 234 monopod tilt top will do, as monopod move up down left right with the twist of your hand.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Yes, you may consider Manfrotto 234RC

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Is that RC or RC2? Also, how much is that? What if I want to shoot a portrait orientation photo with the QR plate connected to the camera?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  8. #8
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    use the lens collar, I'm assuming you are using min 70-200 F2.8 lens.

    If not i don't see the point of using monopod with lens lighter then that.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    use the lens collar, I'm assuming you are using min 70-200 F2.8 lens.

    If not i don't see the point of using monopod with lens lighter then that.
    Yup, I have no problem with the 70-200.

    You see, the issue I have now is when I want a few stops worth of support from the monopod, or when i want to hold the monopod up above a crowd with a camera mounted in portrait orientation, what do I do?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  10. #10
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Yup, I have no problem with the 70-200.

    You see, the issue I have now is when I want a few stops worth of support from the monopod, or when i want to hold the monopod up above a crowd with a camera mounted in portrait orientation, what do I do?
    I don't get what you mean, can describe more about yr setup and situation.
    thanks!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    friction head on monopod is useless.

    monopod is all about versatility. you just need something to lock tight thats all. one hand hold camera, the other hand unlock and adjust can already.

    friction on, have to use leg to giap the pod, then one hand unlock, one hand adjust.. -_- really pain in the beep!
    pedantic.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    the biggest you should consider if you have fat and juicy monopod is the manfrot 486. i used it last time with 80-200. easy to use, can put into portrait orientation too
    pedantic.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    I don't get what you mean, can describe more about yr setup and situation.
    thanks!
    With small lens (UWA) and camera in portrait orientation (without L plate) to shoot something similar to this:


    Or when I want to shoot in portrait orientation with a small lens. That's when I would want a ballhead, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    friction head on monopod is useless.

    monopod is all about versatility. you just need something to lock tight thats all. one hand hold camera, the other hand unlock and adjust can already.

    friction on, have to use leg to giap the pod, then one hand unlock, one hand adjust.. -_- really pain in the beep!
    The 488RC2 has friction control?

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    the biggest you should consider if you have fat and juicy monopod is the manfrot 486. i used it last time with 80-200. easy to use, can put into portrait orientation too
    Actually the reason why I am thinking of getting the 488RC2 is also because it can be used on my full size tripod. However if it really makes my monopod experience a bad one, I'll get something smaller.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  14. #14
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    With small lens (UWA) and camera in portrait orientation (without L plate) to shoot something similar to this:


    Or when I want to shoot in portrait orientation with a small lens. That's when I would want a ballhead, right?



    The 488RC2 has friction control?



    Actually the reason why I am thinking of getting the 488RC2 is also because it can be used on my full size tripod. However if it really makes my monopod experience a bad one, I'll get something smaller.
    One last question, Why do you need to use wide angle lens on a monopod?

    Especially you say your lens is small and light.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    One last question, Why do you need to use wide angle lens on a monopod?

    Especially you say your lens is small and light.
    When a UWA is used on the monopod, it's not for stability sake, but for having a higher perspective (ie having the camera raised on a monopod above you and shooting with a remote). Heavy, but I did it twice in two shoots with borrowed monopods and I like to continue doing that)

    Also, having a monopod will at least allow me to gain 2 stops. When shooting at ISO1600 f/2.8 and 1/2 sec shutter, that really helps.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  16. #16
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    When a UWA is used on the monopod, it's not for stability sake, but for having a higher perspective (ie having the camera raised on a monopod above you and shooting with a remote). Heavy, but I did it twice in two shoots with borrowed monopods and I like to continue doing that)

    Also, having a monopod will at least allow me to gain 2 stops. When shooting at ISO1600 f/2.8 and 1/2 sec shutter, that really helps.
    then you should not use RC2 release plate, should use Hexagonal plate adaptor 625, with Elbow Bracket 340, with these you can use it like a L plate.

    OT, if you need i can source for you.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    then you should not use RC2 release plate, should use Hexagonal plate adaptor 625, with Elbow Bracket 340, with these you can use it like a L plate.

    OT, if you need i can source for you.
    Aiyo, like that so complicated.

    Okay, tell you guys what. I have the standard Yongnuo Gitai ballhead that came with my tripod purchase from JLphoto. I guess that can be used, right?

    The reason why I wanted a better BH was cos the standard gitai ballhead might fail when I'm holding the monopod up in the air (because, well, it's MIC and not exactly very trusty). Since the 486RC2 is already S$110, might as well get 488RC2 with panning base for S$40 more, right?

    If I don't get the 488RC2, I'll probably stick with my standard gitai bh which is SAID to hold 4kg, then save up for the Markins Q3 + lens plates + L plate, which I want in the long run.

    Oh, how much is the 234RC? Is it RC2 or RC?
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 25th April 2009 at 12:21 AM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    It is 234RC. It is one way adjustment (not ballhead) but good enough for monopod.

    I bought in bkk abt 50 bucks.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    It is 234RC. It is one way adjustment (not ballhead) but good enough for monopod.

    I bought in bkk abt 50 bucks.
    Hm I researched bout it and found that it should be labeled as RC2 cos it shares the same QR plate as the RC2 system on 486 and 488 bhs.

    Thanks for the price!
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  20. #20

    Default Re: Manfrotto 680B Monopod - with 488RC2 ballhead?

    Monopods should not be used with a 'head' at all because adjusting it is a challenge as some CS-ers have already mentioned.

    If you must, a tilt head like the RC234 makes the most sense for your camera-on-a-stick trick since you must angle the camera downwards when hoisting it up over crowds: -

    Camera+Flash+Remote on RC234: -



    Example photo: -


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •