Thread: Cmos vs non-cmos.

Default Cmos vs non-cmos.

Hi, anyone has any opinion regarding Nikon cameras that has cmos image sensor and those that dont? I really wondering if paying more for models like D90 and D300 is worth it. Otherwise, I just settle for D80 or 2nd hand D200. By the way, why do I have to keep setting the date for my office D40x everytime I power it up?

Default Re: Cmos vs non-cmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Current View Post
    Hi, anyone has any opinion regarding Nikon cameras that has cmos image sensor and those that dont? I really wondering if paying more for models like D90 and D300 is worth it. Otherwise, I just settle for D80 or 2nd hand D200. By the way, why do I have to keep setting the date for my office D40x everytime I power it up?
    erm, what are you tryin to ask huh.. CMOS is cheaper to make compare to CCD.. base on this theory, all CMOS equiped camera is cheaper.. to buy or not to buy used camera is really up to your own perference..
    life is but a dream...

Oh. I thought newer Nikon cameras like D90 has cmos image sensor as opposed to the older D200 that uses ccd sensor.

why do I have to keep setting the date for my office D40x everytime I power it up?
    check the internal battery. It might be dead.

The cmos vs non-cmos (ccd) is pretty much a marketing thing: companies trying to justify their technological decisions based on costs and not ultimate performance. Fuji's Super EXR CCD is considered one of the best in the business esp for night shots.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    erm, what are you tryin to ask huh.. CMOS is cheaper to make compare to CCD.. base on this theory, all CMOS equiped camera is cheaper.. to buy or not to buy used camera is really up to your own perference..
    CMOS is cheaper in terms of HVM (high-volume manufacturing) as it reuses microprocessor fabrication tech. But it's more costly to optimize its design. So it pretty much balances out.

Going back to your original question, you have to remember that the price of a camera, or it's relative worth or value to a user is dependent on many other factors besides just what sensor it uses. Look at the overall combination very carefully, then decixde if it's worth it for your own usage. Yes, unfortunately that means research, reading and discerning.

CCD Noise is nicer than CMOS noise. So says my friend whos fed up with all the high iso, low noise competition and decided to do noise texture comparisions.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Thank you for all your input! I aim to buy a Nikon DSLR next year after my year end bonus. Ha ha. A lot of time for research.
    I hate my current Fuji Finepix S5800's picture noise.

both are ok, apples and oranges today, honestly

First of all, you have to read up more on the 2 different forms of technology and understand better on why each makers use the different technology.

Next up, is compare on the cameras properly using proper review sites or data. Then make a educated decision on the choice.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I would not choose a camera based on the parts / electronics it uses. Technologies keep changing anyway. And unless you're buying sensors, the functionalities and its performance are what count.

Ryan

Oh. I thought newer Nikon cameras like D90 has cmos image sensor as opposed to the older D200 that uses ccd sensor.
    CCD based on theory is better senor than CMOS.. there is also silicon sensor but i think no one is currently using it...
    life is but a dream...

CCD based on theory is better senor than CMOS.. there is also silicon sensor but i think no one is currently using it...
    They're all made from silicon.

Kodak is still making high resolution CCD sensors for medium format digital back

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    They're all made from silicon.
    i meant pure silicon minus CCD, CMOS quotes...
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Kodak is still making high resolution CCD sensors for medium format digital back
    ya, during the initial digital age, 1MP kodak CCD back cost SGD10,000...
    life is but a dream...