Thread: how to set for using pop up flash

Default how to set for using pop up flash

any good website delicated to teaching or write up on canon system pop up flash...

the problem i face is if i use P, i need to reduce power of the flash... i use m, need to trial 1 shot minimum... need to memorise the distance, etc...

but i never try auto yet...

so troublesome one ma???
    life is but a dream...

Default Re: how to set for using pop up flash

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    any good website delicated to teaching or write up on canon system pop up flash...

the problem i face is if i use P, i need to reduce power of the flash... i use m, need to trial 1 shot minimum... need to memorise the distance, etc...

so troublesome one ma???
    This might help
    http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    10 u so much...
    life is but a dream...

10 u so much...
    no problem mate.
    good luck with reading! Hope it answers your questions.
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

so troublesome one ma???
    Isn't pop-up flash E-TTL? You don't have to set any flash power what.

Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    no problem mate.
    good luck with reading! Hope it answers your questions.
    i just read thru almost every line relevant to me... it actually explain more than the manual.. just tat the manual simplified the english... lol...

means i need to go and try and try... but at least i know how the camera works...
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    ya, it is... but then, most of the time the pic is over expose at P setting... but now after reading at least i know min distance is 1m away... and that P mode is always 1/60 to 1/200... but without - the flash output.. still over expose.. i will need to try the 1m, or remember the position, + the - flash output with M mode... flash = troublesome... but some scene really need flash lor... cos too dark.. anyway, i will try again during the next opportunity... thks for reading...

oh ya, i read from the link tat ef28mm doesnt return distance... meaning the E-TTL doesnt work?
    Last edited by twisted illusion; 24th April 2009 at 04:04 PM.
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    From my very limited experience, ETTL tends to use too much flash power, so the background is dark and the subject is too bright. I normally leave my pop-up flash on -1EV for portraits, so the flash isn't that obvious.
    Canon 450D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | 430EXII | Gitzo GT0541, 486RC2

Quote Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
    From my very limited experience, ETTL tends to use too much flash power, so the background is dark and the subject is too bright. I normally leave my pop-up flash on -1EV for portraits, so the flash isn't that obvious.
    i doing almost the same like u, force the flash into minus territory, by 1 click for me.. not sure if it is -1EV or not...
    life is but a dream...

oh ya, i read from the link tat ef28mm doesnt return distance... meaning the E-TTL doesnt work?
    The ETTL determines flash exposure by light intensity measured through the lens, and is independent of distance AFAIK.

I think the return distance you are referring to is the ability of the flash to "zoom" it's output so that you don't waste light illuminating things outside your frame. Except for very few exceptions, the vast majority of pop-up flashes do not have this feature.
    Canon 450D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | 430EXII | Gitzo GT0541, 486RC2

i doing almost the same like u, force the flash into minus territory, by 1 click for me.. not sure if it is -1EV or not...
    "one click" depends on your camera model and settings. Could be 1/3EV or 1/2EV.

Oh and I leave a small piece of 1/4CTO on the pop up flash. Help makes the output warmer and less harsh.
    Last edited by WhipLash; 24th April 2009 at 04:21 PM.

The ETTL determines flash exposure by light intensity measured through the lens, and is independent of distance AFAIK.

I think the return distance you are referring to is the ability of the flash to "zoom" it's output so that you don't waste light illuminating things outside your frame. Except for very few exceptions, the vast majority of pop-up flashes do not have this feature.
    thks..
    life is but a dream...

"one click" depends on your camera model and settings. Could be 1/3EV or 1/2EV.

Oh and I leave a small piece of 1/4CTO on the pop up flash. Help makes the output warmer and less harsh.
    hi hi, wat is a 1/4CTO huh...
    life is but a dream...

hi hi, wat is a 1/4CTO huh...
    CTO = colour temperature orange. It's basically a piece of orange plastic, something like cellophane (but tougher), which is called "gel" for some arcane reason.

It comes in different intensities, 1/4, 1/2, 1. For normal use, I find 1/4 to be sufficient to give a nice warm cast to the subject. I'm sure the pro-bros around here will tell you more..

thanks for the link!