Thread: Posting imaginary commissions on gallery

Default Posting imaginary commissions on gallery

I've seen a photographer whom I suspect is putting up imaginary commissions on his/her gallery. Example, shoots for sports brands or fashion magazines. As I said, I only suspect, so I'm not going to reveal who this person is, just in case it really is a commercial shoot.

He/she has a "magazine cover" shoot, very realistic looking, only minus the date on the cover (which makes me suspicious). And model shoots which look like a sports fashion shoot. I was wondering what everyone thinks of this. Doing a shoot and dressing the shoot up to look like a shoot for a magazine or fashion house when it is not.
    Last edited by redstone; 24th April 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Default Re: Posting imaginary commissions on gallery

If that is so, the photographer should clearly state it as a mock-up, instead of it being actual.

I've done mocks myself.

If the photog so chooses to credit himself as shooting for that particular brand/label - its all a matter of getting caught or not.

If no one notices then he's lucky - but should the brand find out then he'll be sued over copyright issues and misuse of the company's brand / logo etc for sure

If its for a magazine, a physical scan of the tear sheet as proof will usually follow the picture.
    Last edited by g-khoo; 24th April 2009 at 02:18 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Eh, what's the point of the thread if you don't tell us who it is or where the gallery is? Right now its only a narrative without any means of looking at (to see your narrative better). It is hard to answer without knowing exactly how it is like. Also, since he put up his web online, there's nothing wrong in referring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    I've seen a photographer whom I suspect is putting up imaginary commissions on his/her gallery. Example, shoots for sports brands or fashion magazines. As I said, I only suspect, so I'm not going to reveal who this person is, just in case it really is a commercial shoot.

He/she has a "magazine cover" shoot, very realistic looking, only minus the date on the cover (which makes me suspicious). And model shoots which look like a sports fashion shoot. I was wondering what everyone thinks of this. Doing a shoot and dressing the shoot up to look like a shoot for a magazine or fashion house when it is not.

Had sent you the gallery link via PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Have viewed the gallery and the subsequent links.

Here is my view:

1. Out of many many many photos, only three were brought to my attention. Hence, it is only a very small proportion (if even considered one).

2. Out of the three, only one looks like a magazine cover - and I think is quite obvious that it was more a "fun type impersonation" rather than an attempt to pass off. I think many of photographers have done such things before.

3. Of the other two, they resemble magazine inside pages, but as before, they are just pictures with words on it - so many CS-ers have done such things before, those resembling TW or JP pages, with chinese or japanese words or the like.

I think you should open the link for all to see so that they can make their own evaluation.

Had sent you the gallery link via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Have viewed the gallery and the subsequent links.

Here is my view:

1. Out of many many many photos, only three were brought to my attention. Hence, it is only a very small proportion (if even considered one).

2. Out of the three, only one looks like a magazine cover - and I think is quite obvious that it was more a "fun type impersonation" rather than an attempt to pass off. I think many of photographers have done such things before.

3. Of the other two, they resemble magazine inside pages, but as before, they are just pictures with words on it - so many CS-ers have done such things before, those resembling TW or JP pages, with chinese or japanese words or the like.

I think you should open the link for all to see so that they can make their own evaluation.
    Thanks for the opinion. Maybe I'm taking this too seriously.

vince123123
    Guests

Hahah, well its just one person's view against another. Maybe you can get more response and view's from others. I can be wrong too

Thanks for the opinion. Maybe I'm taking this too seriously.

fun what, people like to play at executing their fantasies..

then can feel professional and powerful!!!