Thread: What hardisk to get?

Default What hardisk to get?

If I have the EastGear Nixvue DA Lite, what should be the recommended harddisk at 40G that we could get in the market? I mean reliable and reasonable price. Any advise would be appreciated. Hope EastGear would not mind that I asked this question.

Cheers

Steven Tor

Quote Originally Posted by stor
    If I have the EastGear Nixvue DA Lite, what should be the recommended harddisk at 40G that we could get in the market? I mean reliable and reasonable price. Any advise would be appreciated. Hope EastGear would not mind that I asked this question.

Cheers

Steven Tor
    Whatever harddisk you choose, dont expect it to last forever, make backup.
    Personally I would suggest the IBM slower speed version (5400rom). This should last for about 1-2 years depends on your luck. (in other words how violent you are with the Nixvue )

The lower RPM ones are 4200rpm, the 5400 rpm are the newer ones. Anyway, IBM/Hitachi have 1year warranty, so they should work at least 1 year. 1 day beyond that is your luck.

Cheers

Steven Tor
    The battery life of the DA lasts for about 4GB of copying max, so anything beyond say, 10GB, would be wasted, unless the unit is used as a portable HDD (eg for work, or file transfer btw PCs.)

The 4200rpm ones would be preferable, since they consume less power (that's an assumption), and for this application, power considerations are crucial. If i'm not mistaken, the speed bottleneck is the USB or CF card, not the HDD.

There are also HDDs around with 3 years warranty - check with storage studio, SLS. For such a portable unit, paying a bit for the 3 year warranty makes a lot of sense. The unit is sure to get knocked (or dropped!) now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    The battery life of the DA lasts for about 4GB of copying max, so anything beyond say, 10GB, would be wasted, unless the unit is used as a portable HDD (eg for work, or file transfer btw PCs.)
    don't just think that you will use it only for 1 day shoot. For travellling to overseas, you can always recharge at the end of the day and use it to store pics for the next day. 40GB will be very useful when you are going for maybe a 7 days trip or 2 weeks trip.

er...warranty is 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    The lower RPM ones are 4200rpm, the 5400 rpm are the newer ones. Anyway, IBM/Hitachi have 1year warranty, so they should work at least 1 year. 1 day beyond that is your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBelly
    er...warranty is 3 years.
    i was just about to say that :P

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/en/w...y/english3.htm

Machine - Hitachi Global Storage Technologies HDDs purchased from or supplied through an authorized Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Distributor. The term “Machine” includes a Hitachi Global Storage Technologies machine, its features, conversions, upgrades, elements, or accessories, or any combination of them. The term “Machine” does not include any software program, whether pre-loaded with the Machine, installed subsequently, or otherwise.

Warranty Period - Ultrastar Products - 5 years

Deskstar Products, all 8MB cache buffer models - 3 years

Deskstar Products, 512K or 2MB cache buffer models sold prior to November 15, 2002 - 3 years

Deskstar Products, 512K or 2MB cache buffer models sold on or after November 15, 2002 - 1 year

Travelstar Products - 3 years

Microdrive Products - 1 year

To obtain warranty service information for the Machine, contact the appropriate Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Call Center

Cheers

Steven Tor
    if you are getting a DA Lite from Eastgear without HDD,than the most appropriate to install is the 30GB the price is quite reasonable. it again depends how many photo u are going to shoot, with the 30GB it shld ba able to allow u to shoot at least 20,000 photo, depends on ur megapixel of ur camera.
    in normal case if u r using a 3.2 pixel camera than it shld give u at least 30,000 photo in the 30GB HDD

just a word of advice?

NEVER GET MAXTOR...

if you go hardwarezone forums to ask this questions, they probably (for 80% sure) they will say this...

was a user of this brand once, because it was cheap, but 1 year later got bad sector, and the death "clicks"... lucky i back it up early or else...

now using IBM... solid drive.

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    just a word of advice?

NEVER GET MAXTOR...

if you go hardwarezone forums to ask this questions, they probably (for 80% sure) they will say this...

was a user of this brand once, because it was cheap, but 1 year later got bad sector, and the death "clicks"... lucky i back it up early or else...

OT a bit...
    My maxtor drives, yes... I bought 2 for my desktop, both had bad sectors... then died... It's was a 40GB 3.5" type...

oh sh*t! i've just bought 2 80GB maxtor drives!

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    just a word of advice?

NEVER GET MAXTOR...

All hard drives will fail eventually, whether its Maxtor/ IBM/ Seagate/ WD/ Fujitsu/ Hitachi/ etc. You need to back up your data regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by mylau
    oh sh*t! i've just bought 2 80GB maxtor drives!
    it's heng or suai type lah ..... I had a maxtor harddisk for 3 years also like that ..... still using it now ..... but my IBM harddisk join it's friends in the great junkyard up there in less then 2 years ..... whahahahahahahah ......

Anyone considered Western Digital? I'm a big fan of it though it generally cost abit more. They use to be the most durable many years back, not sure of their current performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    Anyone considered Western Digital? I'm a big fan of it though it generally cost abit more. They use to be the most durable many years back, not sure of their current performance though.
    I think they "invented" hard drive 30-40 years ago, back then these things were called Winchester Drive.

Seagate looks pretty good.. they have this anti static protection on their hd (the one i saw was 80gb)

My Maxtor aka Quantum Fireball 30gb 5400RPM still works fine after 2 years.. expect it to die on me anytime tho.. gee, the thrill..

I got a Hitachi 40 GB, 5400 RPM some weeks ago for my DA Lite. Doing fine ...