Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on trip to USA

Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

[QUOTE=tSkye;5061919]They may not even bother already.

Checked CNA,
    "MEXICO CITY: Mexico was planning a return to business as usual and the United States eased guidelines for school closures on Tuesday, signs that fears of a global H1N1 flu pandemic were abating despite the first US resident death. "[/QUOTE}

arrogent USA as usual!
    picture perfect

seriously.. USA reports optimistic news while Singapore news tends to be on the safer side.

take all with a pinch of salt and evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post

arrogent USA as usual!
    Why do you think that?

There is hardly any reason to worry, except for Mexicans returning to the U.S.A. Our news reports spend 10 minutes of a 30 minute broadcast on something that affects only a small portion of the population. Every place affected had to do with people arriving from Mexico. It's hardly an epidemic, let alone a pandemic.

If you're clean, you hardly have a chance of getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Why do you think that?

There is hardly any reason to worry, except for Mexicans returning to the U.S.A. Our news reports spend 10 minutes of a 30 minute broadcast on something that affects only a small portion of the population. Every place affected had to do with people arriving from Mexico. It's hardly an epidemic, let alone a pandemic.

If you're clean, you hardly have a chance of getting it.
    yeah.. i was referring to the comment tskye made "They may not even bother already."
    picture perfect

today my second day in New York ...
    nobody seems to mind or worry about this H1N1 here...
    nobody wears a mask anywhere ....
    on the plane only some chinese and asians wear masks but the transit from Frankfurt to NY, nobody wears.
    Ask some people and no one think it is serious for them to worry in NY ....
    on the road and street didnt see anyone with a mask
    always the Light, .... always.

It's not the culture to wear a mask bah...

In Japan, they wear a mask when they get a cold. How thoughtful.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    today my second day in New York ...
    nobody seems to mind or worry about this H1N1 here...
    nobody wears a mask anywhere ....
    on the plane only some chinese and asians wear masks but the transit from Frankfurt to NY, nobody wears.
    Ask some people and no one think it is serious for them to worry in NY ....
    on the road and street didnt see anyone with a mask
    I've seen on the news reports where a few extremely worried people bought masks in the U.S.A. but I've never seen anyone outside a hospital wear one. Generally, people are smart enough to sneeze into their hands and wash their hands later but not all.

Also, generally, healthcare is first rate and anyone serious enough will be quarantined. The speed with which they've acted on it has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    It's not the culture to wear a mask bah...

In Japan, they wear a mask when they get a cold. How thoughtful.
    if really thoughtful, should have stay at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    if really thoughtful, should have stay at home.
    *faint*

but well said

I asked some Americans for their view about this H1N1 .... apparently all of them are treating this as another flu .... if you asked me last week about this reaction, i would have thought that Americans are arrogant but after a few days here I could see and feel why ..... USA is SO HUGE! and the places i been to so far are quite clean .... any toilets i used are so much cleaner than those at Sg food courts, shopping centres, etc....

I feel that Singaporeans got very bad public toilet habbits ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I asked some Americans for their view about this H1N1 .... apparently all of them are treating this as another flu .... if you asked me last week about this reaction, i would have thought that Americans are arrogant but after a few days here I could see and feel why ..... USA is SO HUGE! and the places i been to so far are quite clean .... any toilets i used are so much cleaner than those at Sg food courts, shopping centres, etc....

I feel that Singaporeans got very bad public toilet habbits ....
    More people die from the common flu everyday.

at least the good news is, it's starting to slow down and clear up

i think by june, should be green light to visit already

hey! was thinking that you should go take a look at the "Mariposa Grove of Big Trees" when you are at Yosemite. Not sure if it fits your itinerary but when I was there it was on the way from Yosemite.. should be pretty near..

Big trees, beautiful colours and a quiet woods..
    Last edited by mini_kees; 23rd May 2009 at 12:40 AM.

Deregistered

Bro, take very good care during your trip to US... Try to avoid going out in the evening, particularly in New York city, even in a group. Day time is quite safe, but preferably with a local guide. Goods and food are quite pricey compare to the San Fran and LA. Many tips, range from 10 ~ 20% depends on service quality, 15 % is a norm, 20 % is excellent service.
    Try to avoid certain areas, you know lar.. ask the locals and they will caution you...
    Travel in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Bro, take very good care during your trip to US... Try to avoid going out in the evening, particularly in New York city, even in a group. Day time is quite safe, but preferably with a local guide. Goods and food are quite pricey compare to the San Fran and LA. Many tips, range from 10 ~ 20% depends on service quality, 15 % is a norm, 20 % is excellent service.
    Try to avoid certain areas, you know lar.. ask the locals and they will caution you...
    Travel in good health.
    I have been to New York many times. How many? So many that I forgot.

New York city, Manhattan to be more specific, is a relatively safe place.

If you insist to compare it to Singapore, I would say, New York is not as safe. But if you survive in KL, Bangkok, Jarkata, then new York is going to be fine.

Please don't be a scaremonger.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Deregistered

I know you are hero that survive in New York for many times, but just do not show off that you been to NY until uncountable time, that is BOASTFUL!
    If I share my experience with a young chap and hope he can make it there safely and back home in one piece, there isn't your business!
    When I drive in Manhattan and Bronx, i will avoid certain area too, but definitely not in the nighte time, may be next time you visit again to NY, walk in the nite to NY with your shiny camera, I wish you good luck!

Cool down guys... I think most importantly, stay in areas with more people, minimize walking around alone... Safe or unsafe, things can always just happen out of the norm.
    Just take caution when you're in an unfamiliar place.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I know you are hero that survive in New York for many times, but just do not show off that you been to NY until uncountable time, that is BOASTFUL!
    If I share my experience with a young chap and hope he can make it there safely and back home in one piece, there isn't your business!
    When I drive in Manhattan and Bronx, i will avoid certain area too, but definitely not in the nighte time, may be next time you visit again to NY, walk in the nite to NY with your shiny camera, I wish you good luck!

How was I boastful! I had been to New York City many many times. What is so boastful about that? Please enlighten me.

I am not saying New York is the safest place on earth. If you are flaunting your camera or expensive possessions in the open in a dark alley way in Singapore, that may not be the smartest thing to do.

The correct advise is to not flaunt your wealth. Why is it not my business to express my opinion when I thnik yours is totally out of this word bias?

By the way, when were you in New York City? Actually, it does not matter. Doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    Cool down guys... I think most importantly, stay in areas with more people, minimize walking around alone... Safe or unsafe, things can always just happen out of the norm.
    Just take caution when you're in an unfamiliar place.
    Now, this is good advise. It applies to everywhere, even here in Singapore. Just last week, a woman was robbed in Chinatown at 3am in the morning! Just be aware of your surrounding and do not be complacent.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 2nd June 2009 at 09:18 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    How was I boastful! I had been to New York City many many times. What is so boastful about that? Please enlighten me.

I am not saying New York is the safest place on earth. If you are flaunting your camera or expensive possessions in the open in a dark alley way in Singapore, that may not be the smartest thing to do.

The correct advise is to not flaunt your wealth. Why is it not my business to express my opinion when I thnik yours is totally out of this word bias?

By the way, when were you in New York City? Actually, it does not matter. Doesn't bother me.

Now, this is good advise. It applies to everywhere, even here in Singapore. Just last week, a woman was robbed in Chinatown at 3am in the morning! Just be aware of your surrounding and do not be complacent.
    Every city has its horror stories. Funny though, Amherst is known to be more dangerous than NY. I was walking around at 2-3AM in lower Manhattan in NYC, and it was still bustling with people, and pretty safe. It all depends on where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Every city has its horror stories. Funny though, Amherst is known to be more dangerous than NY. I was walking around at 2-3AM in lower Manhattan in NYC, and it was still bustling with people, and pretty safe. It all depends on where you are.
    That is exactly what I meant. We have to be alert of our environment. Simply panning a city based on prejudices and preconceived misinformation is absolutely no use at all. Washington DC is for many years has one of the worst crime rate in the US, however, it all depends on where you go. Anywhere around the government buildings, like the White House and Capital Hill, I never felt safer.

Just use your judgment. Unless, that is what is lacking.

What were you doing in Amherst? Have not been back there since high school
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast