Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on trip to USA

Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

Mmmm... Interesting note. Perhaps I should get a flu vaccination before I head over.

Speaking of which, just got myself a Tomtom GPS system. Quite useless in Singapore though as it has US maps pre-installed. LOL

whoa alone a mth...places not to miss are yosemite(3days), death valley(3days), las vegas(lots of food grab the buffet, go gamble watch some shows 3days), grand canyon( spend 3 days there if u can u wont regret it), head down to LA if u got time to visit disney and some of the nice beaches

i drove ard...over there with a bunch of people we cover those places + lake tahoe in abt 2 weeks. since u got a mth...spend more time in each place many photograhpic opporutunties

oh ya before u come back from US, head to gilroy(SF), get discount vouchers from both shops and internet. walk into coach bag shop and buy smth for ur gf! its like 4 times cheaper
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    Mmmm... Interesting note. Perhaps I should get a flu vaccination before I head over.

Speaking of which, just got myself a Tomtom GPS system. Quite useless in Singapore though as it has US maps pre-installed. LOL
    lol...go take now if u wanna get vaccinated...it need ard 1 mth for the vaccination to work...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    whoa alone a mth...places not to miss are yosemite(3days), death valley(3days), las vegas(lots of food grab the buffet, go gamble watch some shows 3days), grand canyon( spend 3 days there if u can u wont regret it), head down to LA if u got time to visit disney and some of the nice beaches

i drove ard...over there with a bunch of people we cover those places + lake tahoe in abt 2 weeks. since u got a mth...spend more time in each place many photograhpic opporutunties

oh ya before u come back from US, head to gilroy(SF), get discount vouchers from both shops and internet. walk into coach bag shop and buy smth for ur gf! its like 4 times cheaper
    Interesting. 3 days for those sights. Perhaps its because you've got a bunch of friends going. Alone, it's really hard to know where to go and what to do. But mmmm... Coach... Sounds like a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz View Post
    lol...go take now if u wanna get vaccinated...it need ard 1 mth for the vaccination to work...
    I'm doing that this week already la!

Damn. I'm taking Greyhound then...
    For the love of god don't take greyhounds. You wanna spend more time travelling from one state to another or you wanna take more pictures? Don't get yourself into one of those buses. Chance of you losing your stuff is like 99%.

I must be nuts huh? Cutting down a lot of places already. It's essentially SF area, DC, NY area...

I must be nuts huh? Cutting down a lot of places already. It's essentially SF area, DC, NY area...
    I'll still suggest you take flights. It's alot faster and domestic flights are rather cheap. You'll get to spend more time walking around and taking photos instead of sitting in the bus the whole day and getting tired/sleepy when you arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by bchyeo View Post
    Seems like there's alot of people here knows the States pretty well. For those who contributed to this post, have you worked in the US or you just have been to the States often?

just out of curiousity...
    Studied high school in the States, 4 years of it...but way back in the late 80s/early 90s.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

Damn. I'm taking Greyhound then...
    Seriously, try Amtrak...you've got time to spare.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

I'm taking Amtrak from town to town, since it's all the major cities ie DC, NY and to Niagara Falls.

took Amtrak from south of Illinois to chicago in the 90's.. interesting journey..
    wished i was a photographer then.
    have a wonderful trip!

TS:

You may wish to consider Suntrek or Trek America - which does either camping (cheaper) or lodges and takes you to really soild places.

Lunch and dinner are prepared by the campers themselves. This cuts costs down but allows you to get all meals at a low cost.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

I've checked out some camp sites, apparently you need to book months ahead of schedule.

Although I've got about 2 mths to go, hey, they took like 6 mths ahead omg!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    For the love of god don't take greyhounds. You wanna spend more time travelling from one state to another or you wanna take more pictures? Don't get yourself into one of those buses. Chance of you losing your stuff is like 99%.
    Sorry to hijack a little, is there anything seriously wrong with Greyhound? Part of my honeymoon itinerary involves going from LA to Las Vegas (for Grand Canyon) and back via Greyhound. I heard that the Greyhound station is a dangerous spot with lots of druggies etc hanging around there, but didn't know that even taking the bus can be a danger?
    Slow...yeah, steady... not really
    My Flickr | APAD2010

Blog Entries

Want to go dont scared....want to scared dont go

Greyhound is fine.....if you can surve JB or KL bus terminals you will be OK...... as are Amtrak trains.

I've lived, studied and worked in the US for more than 7 years (Chicago, NY, Cleveland and a couple of smaller Midwest towns) and done quite a few similar trips .... the first 2 times (Chicago-LA via the old Route 66 way and then NY- SF) were fun but not too exciting because I DID TOO MUCH RESEARCH .... every freaking night I spent an hour or so just planning each and every move and that got really tiresome .... and I did not spend much time then smelling the flowers along the way....

Subsequent trips became epic odesseys when I just packed some clothes, stuffed my wallet with 600-800USD and an the game plan for the next 7-10 days scrawled on a single sheet of A4 paper. Just go with the flow within a loose plan.... ALOT more fun

So YES prepare for the trip but do not overprepare or over-research...... kind of kills the fun when you're actually doing the trip .....
    Last edited by ed9119; 29th April 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Want to go dont scared....want to scared dont go

Greyhound is fine.....if you can surve JB or KL bus terminals you will be OK...... as are Amtrak trains.

I've lived, studied and worked in the US for more than 7 years (Chicago, NY, Cleveland and a couple of smaller Midwest towns) and done quite a few similar trips .... the first 2 times (Chicago-LA via the old Route 66 way and then NY- SF) were fun but not too exciting because I DID TOO MUCH RESEARCH .... every freaking night I spent an hour or so just planning each and every move and that got really tiresome .... and I did not spend much time then smelling the flowers along the way....

Subsequent trips became epic odesseys when I just packed some clothes, stuffed my wallet with 600-800USD and an the game plan for the next 7-10 days scrawled on a single sheet of A4 paper. Just go with the flow within a loose plan.... ALOT more fun

So YES prepare for the trip but do not overprepare or over-research...... kind of kills the fun when you're actually doing the trip .....
    To TS, as I have told you many times, don't plan too much, just go with the flow and enjoy. It's not a trip to check the boxes. there are no must see, there ae lots of must see. so, just go forth and have fun.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I see...

Actually, traveling from place to place and stuff like that aren't my highest priority.
    I am more keen to explore options on lodging, unless I grab a sleeping bag and stay on the streets.

Truth is, the powers above that be, those whom are issuing a sub-card to me (i've got none of my own) are wanting this planned itinerary and lodging. Parental love tends to be very protective and such. Solos to M'sia and group trips to TW, BKK etc are no problem. This time it's to a place where no one's been before. The Unknown is very intimidating for them. Best part, one of the pre-conditions is a daily reporting via SMS back to central HQ. *sigh*

I see...

Actually, traveling from place to place and stuff like that aren't my highest priority.
    I am more keen to explore options on lodging, unless I grab a sleeping bag and stay on the streets.

Truth is, the powers above that be, those whom are issuing a sub-card to me (i've got none of my own) are wanting this planned itinerary and lodging. Parental love tends to be very protective and such. Solos to M'sia and group trips to TW, BKK etc are no problem. This time it's to a place where no one's been before. The Unknown is very intimidating for them. Best part, one of the pre-conditions is a daily reporting via SMS back to central HQ. *sigh*
    Listen, I've lived in the U.S.A. most of my life and there are towns where you can go alone and be safe but mostly, they don't exist unless you're a white person and even then, they're fewer than they were 50 years ago.

If I were you, I'd choose Grand Canyon in Arizona to San Diego to Los Angeles to San Francisco to Yosemite National Park in California or some combination of those. Take your time, enjoy the food and the culture and the chances for photography and stay off the streets late at night.

I've spent plenty of time out at night in places where most people wouldn't go and haven't had a problem, but in particular, the VP of R&D at a former employer was from S'pore and was robbed at his front door in one of the areas near our work. If you look like a target, someone will rob you. I don't want to scare you, but it's better to be safe.

The California coast is a great place for photography and it's far enough from Los Angeles to San Francisco that you could enjoy it. If you don't like the American food, you can always choose Asian food.

It's just my opinion but I think you'd enjoy yourself a lot more than the alternative.

Interesting.

Swine Flu now at stage 5 of 6. Verge of pandemic. Some in california have been hit.

I'm keeping an eye out on things...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast