Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 157

Thread: Advice on trip to USA

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    that's very similar. how was your itinerary and how did go about the country?
    Via public transport for the city itself.

    In NYC: Took the subways, easy to navigate, no problems going to various parts.
    In Arizona: Booked tour at an arizona company because wanted a native to bring us to grand canyon
    In South California: Took railway from Anaheim to Universal studios, and stayed near disneyland as the hotels in disneyland super expensive.

    I took interstate flights. It wasn't the cheapest way, but it was fun.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Are the nights safe? I feel like going out when the sun sets to shoot some night scenery in the cities.

  3. #23
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    Are the nights safe? I feel like going out when the sun sets to shoot some night scenery in the cities.
    bring along a powerful torch if you want to go out at night. my surefire acts both as a torch and a defensive weapon when i'm overseas..

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SG + Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    not sure if u know about this... u gotta give tips in the restaurant and pubs, and when u take a cab.. this is a common practice... or else they will ask from u... it's normally about 8 - 10% of the total bill. happy holiday!!!
    Lunch = 8-10% (If more than 6-8ppl, u need to pay 15%)

    dinner = 15% onwards.

    If you cannot remember when to pay what, easiest way to to double your tax billed in the receipt.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    thanks bchyeo. just double the amt of tax. gotcha.

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    bring along a powerful torch if you want to go out at night. my surefire acts both as a torch and a defensive weapon when i'm overseas..
    borrow borrow.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SG + Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    If you have friends in SFO, then i believe they will bring you to the usual places like

    Fisherman's Wharf - Pier 39 - where most ppl are about. Try the seafood like Dungeness Crab (I like to have it at the Crab House), have a Sourdough Bread, bite into Tarantinos sidewalk cafe's Clam chowder, calamari and shrimps. Watch the Sea Lions, enjoy the breeze and have an Ice cream! Pay $10 for a boat ride out to under the GoldenGate Bridge, pass Alcatraz and back. Buy tickets for Alcatraz visit. Enjoy the park, walk across the bridge, take a cable car...shop downtown. Visit the Farmers market at the Ferry Building on Saturdays..

    Haight-Ashbury(Flower Power), ChinaTown, Coit Tower, Lombard St, North Beach (where the popular City Lights bookstore is), Napa Valley for wine...so many things..

    there's a lot you can do in SF/Bay area but i'm sure ur friends there will bring u around...

    Also, if you have time and money to spare..cross the bay bridge and get to Berkeley to dine in Chez Panisse(Alice Waters, Michelin Star).

    1mth is tough to see much..but i am very sure you will enjoy the trip.
    Last edited by bchyeo; 26th April 2009 at 12:01 AM.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Hah! My friend in SFO offers free lodging. But whether he'll take me out, well, probably not. Busy busy all day long!

  8. #28

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    if you have time, after las vegas, take a look at Death Valley...

    drive from Vegas to LA, then use Highway 1 to go up to SF... fantastic scenery!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    There are so many things to see, you will not be able to see half of what you want on this trip. So, my advise is, minimize long distance travel. Group your sights together to cut down on unnecessary travel time.

    Where you are staying in SF, has easy access to cable car, buses, Bart, very easy to get around the city.

    You need to try and arrange a trip to Fry's, for the toys, and Costco, for the day to day supplies, got Buena Vista Cafe for the Irish Coffee, invented there, Swan Oyster Depot, near where you are staying, best oyster in town and their clam chowder is fantastic, Ti-Couz in the mission for the best crepes in SF, Cafe Jacqueline for the best souffle in the city, or jsut hang out in the cafes along Polk Street and Little Italy, and ask your friend lor she is arguably one of the best gourmet I know.

    For photography, you should go to Fort Funston, an alternate view of the Golden Gate Bridge, I think it is much more dramatic. Muir Woods, if you can arrange transportation, go early in the morning, the lights is heavenly streaming through hundred years old redwood trees. Definitely go to Alcatraz, best view of SF.

    If you are heading south to Monterey, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic. That was where I saw the juvenile great white.

    And when you are at NYC, do go to B&H, even just to gawk.

    In DC, I found teh Washington and Lincoln Memorial offers lots of photographic opportunities, so is the Vietnam memorial.

    When you got Niagara Falls, 2 things are must do. Take the boat up to the bottom of the fall, worth every $, a massive adrenaline rush, and spectacular sight. Don't plan on shooting, you will be drenching wet, unless you have a waterproof housing. Disposal camera might do the trick. another is to take the elevator into the bosom of the fall, you can see the water cascading down in front of you.

    LV is overrated, but if you have to go, try to budget in a show, it's $$$$$, but it's worth it. Eat at the casino buffet, it's cheap and you can eat for 3 meals in one sitting.

    If you are driving up HWY1, stop over at the heart Castle. Worth a half day detour.

    hmmm

    i think you are fast running out of time already
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  10. #30
    Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    922

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    Hey guys,

    Backpacking, hitch-hiking? Or just take a bus/train across?

    Traveling alone, first time ever to the States.
    Would appreciate some help!
    1) Backpacking - A good way to see the US...but if you wanna hitch-hike, be prepared to end up in someone's trunk, mugged or murdered. I'd advise against it strongly.

    2) Amtrak is a really good alternative. You can stop at many quaint towns and spend nights there in a motel.

    I'd advaise against travelling alone but if there's no choice, well, do try to look for people that you know living there or at least keep the Singapore Counsel advised of your location.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

  11. #31

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Lol... and just to let you know first, hitch-hiking is illegal in California.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Damn. I'm taking Greyhound then...

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SG + Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    There are so many things to see, you will not be able to see half of what you want on this trip. So, my advise is, minimize long distance travel. Group your sights together to cut down on unnecessary travel time.

    Where you are staying in SF, has easy access to cable car, buses, Bart, very easy to get around the city.

    You need to try and arrange a trip to Fry's, for the toys, and Costco, for the day to day supplies, got Buena Vista Cafe for the Irish Coffee, invented there, Swan Oyster Depot, near where you are staying, best oyster in town and their clam chowder is fantastic, Ti-Couz in the mission for the best crepes in SF, Cafe Jacqueline for the best souffle in the city, or jsut hang out in the cafes along Polk Street and Little Italy, and ask your friend lor she is arguably one of the best gourmet I know.

    For photography, you should go to Fort Funston, an alternate view of the Golden Gate Bridge, I think it is much more dramatic. Muir Woods, if you can arrange transportation, go early in the morning, the lights is heavenly streaming through hundred years old redwood trees. Definitely go to Alcatraz, best view of SF.

    If you are heading south to Monterey, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic. That was where I saw the juvenile great white.

    And when you are at NYC, do go to B&H, even just to gawk.

    In DC, I found teh Washington and Lincoln Memorial offers lots of photographic opportunities, so is the Vietnam memorial.

    When you got Niagara Falls, 2 things are must do. Take the boat up to the bottom of the fall, worth every $, a massive adrenaline rush, and spectacular sight. Don't plan on shooting, you will be drenching wet, unless you have a waterproof housing. Disposal camera might do the trick. another is to take the elevator into the bosom of the fall, you can see the water cascading down in front of you.

    LV is overrated, but if you have to go, try to budget in a show, it's $$$$$, but it's worth it. Eat at the casino buffet, it's cheap and you can eat for 3 meals in one sitting.

    If you are driving up HWY1, stop over at the heart Castle. Worth a half day detour.

    hmmm

    i think you are fast running out of time already

    Costco requires membership to get in and pay either with cash or AMEX. Yes, Monterey Bay/Carmel is beautiful. Whale watching is also good there.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SG + Walnut Creek, California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Seems like there's alot of people here knows the States pretty well. For those who contributed to this post, have you worked in the US or you just have been to the States often?

    just out of curiousity...

  15. #35

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by bchyeo View Post
    Costco requires membership to get in and pay either with cash or AMEX. Yes, Monterey Bay/Carmel is beautiful. Whale watching is also good there.
    Lend him your membership?

    It's easy to find people with Costco memberships. No better place to shop for necessities.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  16. #36

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    Are the nights safe? I feel like going out when the sun sets to shoot some night scenery in the cities.
    now got swine flu right?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    now got swine flu right?
    Swine Flu is in Mexico... so far, things up north is still ok... Have not heard of any cases (maybe they are too insignificant to report) so far...

  18. #38

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    Swine Flu is in Mexico... so far, things up north is still ok... Have not heard of any cases (maybe they are too insignificant to report) so far...
    got leh; see link below:

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...swineflu_N.htm

  19. #39

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Ive not been reading the news the past week

  20. #40

    Default Re: Advice on trip to USA

    Bird flu is life and up and about in this region, no?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •