Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98

Thread: Are you ready to change the way you live?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Need not for me to dwell on what's appreciation about if one have explored more and feel with the heart.
    how much do you understand about this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Very good. So your objective is eventually to "save the world", but now you settle for rising "awareness about global warming." This is what we do on an individual level.

    You've seen the links on Bangladesh being flooded. Those poor people becoming environmental refugees. What are your thoughts on the matter? How do we help these people? What should governments/scientists/students do?
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    it's no point to for me to talk with you this. You seem like quite like to "challenge"? How about want to me for kopi to talk till all you want?
    ArchRival likes to challenge popular thoughts and this is good if it is written in a more constructive manner.

    However, ArchRival the way you write is condescending requiring a little more thought before tapping away on the keyboard for example your last post:

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Very good. So your objective is eventually to "save the world", but now you settle for rising "awareness about global warming." This is what we do on an individual level.
    What is the purpose of the paragraph? To me it reads like this:

    "You're an idiot, you say one thing and then you say another. Idiot that's what we do anyway. Tell us something new"

    In my view there are many who have so little awareness about anything except the immediate environment that surrounds us and what we perceive directly affects us. As for everything else, the attitude is to ignore the bigger picture. I know personally for myself when I am involved in work and life, it is easy to do. However by re-educating ourselves and reprogramming ourselves and investing wisely in technology, we can all contribute to at the very least reduce the pollution we put out in the world. Small or big. Even a drop in an ocean can cause ripples.


    Your second paragraph may have some meaning to someone but reads like a bull in a china shop:

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    You've seen the links on Bangladesh being flooded. Those poor people becoming environmental refugees. What are your thoughts on the matter? How do we help these people? What should governments/scientists/students do?
    Perhaps something like:
    "Have you seen the links on the Bangladesh flood? In my view those poor people have become environmental refugees because ........................

    It's off topic but I am wondering if anyone has some ideas how we can help these people? Would changing the way we live have helped those people?"



    BTW ArchRival did you have a look at the link to the environmental forum I left you on another thread? You can go wild there.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 25th April 2009 at 03:58 AM.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  3. #43

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    ArchRival likes to challenge popular thoughts and this is good if it is written in a more constructive manner.
    "challenge" is a nicer word that i used just now. You wouldn't need to write this if one understand it. Just look at history. Anyway, let's drop it.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    some people cant accept others have alternative views. having a different voice equals being a thug? lol...

    are u ready to even change for the betta? for every advocate there's always a critic, why not put forth a robust rebuttal instead of taking a low road belittling others.

    its 1 thing to preach change to others, mock critics who may have valid points to put across. why not put up personal examples of wad 1 has done in the name of it (change)?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 24th April 2009 at 10:31 PM.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    ArchRival likes to challenge popular thoughts and this is good if it is written in a more constructive manner.

    However, ArchRival the way you write is like a thug and is condescending requiring a little more thought before tapping away on the keyboard for example your last post:
    so this is a pop culture thing to u? not that i know ArchRival much, but u seem confident to state he like to challenge popular thoughts...

    ur "constructive" reply in bold...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    What is the purpose of the paragraph? To me it reads like this:

    "You're an idiot, you say one thing and then you say another. Idiot that's what we do anyway. Tell us something new"

    In my view there are many who have so little awareness about anything except the immediate environment that surrounds us and what we perceive directly affects us. As for everything else, the attitude is to ignore the bigger picture. I know personally for myself when I am involved in work and life, it is easy to do. However by re-educating ourselves and reprogramming ourselves and investing wisely in technology, we can all contribute to at the very least reduce the pollution we put out in the world. Small or big. Even a drop in an ocean can cause ripples.


    Your second paragraph may have some meaning to someone but again it is written like a bull in a china shop:
    why the need to thumb on others by vetting how they should word their own post? do u need to put others down this way?

    ur reply speaks volume of ur level of "awareness", how it is recieved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    Perhaps something like:
    "Have you seen the links on the Bangladesh flood? In my view those poor people have become environmental refugees because ........................

    It's off topic but I am wondering if anyone has some ideas how we can help these people? Would changing the way we live have helped those people?"


    BTW ArchRival did you have a look at the link to the environmental forum I left you on another thread? You can go wild there.
    ants are small & united. humans are way bigger & rarely united.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 25th April 2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: general edit
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  6. #46

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    some people cant accept others have alternative views. having a different voice equals being a thug? lol...

    are u ready to even change for the betta? for every advocate there's always a critic, why not put forth a robust rebuttal instead of taking a low road belittling others.

    its 1 thing to preach change to others, mock critics who may have valid points to put across. why not put up personal examples of wad 1 has done in the name of it (change)?
    Agreed. Especially with the words in bold, I think applies to those who support the theory and those who do not.

    Actually, I am a bit concerned about the way this discussion is going.

    My interpretation is that the TS started this thread with the intention of providing another set of views on the idea of global warming, to accept/believe the messages from the film is entirely up to the viewer.

    Fair game also to the opponents of the message if they can provide their own sources of information to correct what was falsified in the film. It is when we compare and verify information that we become more aware of the situation, that is when we make informed choices about the way we live.

    I don't think anyone is trying to "save the earth" which is a rather belittling and condescending way of describing the intentions. Bombarding each other with rhetorical questions is seldom a constructive way of discussion.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    alternative views are voiced cos Al Gore is firstly & foremost a politician, unless supporting links to his 'green' movement can be traced back to his much younger days, using him as an example is not ideal.

    this Al Gore going green is not a very new thing, oso, there are inaccuracy in the facts put forth to champion his own cause. the TS should have chosen a betta example. if he does not like others pointing the flaws out. to imply alternative views that are not totally baseless, as a challenge speaks poorly about how little 1 believe in this issue altogether.

    the change needed most in this forum is to agree to disagree with civility & grace, not label others in a way just to get an emotive response & generally create a "scene"...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  8. #48

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Whoa, now i'm called a thug.

    Look, it's simple. I asked very simple questions with regards to the plight of the Bangladeshis:

    "What are your thoughts on the matter? How do we help these people? What should governments/scientists/students do?"

    Instead of providing suggestions, Tupi decided to clam up.

    "it's no point to for me to talk with you this. You seem like quite like to "challenge"? How about want to me for kopi to talk till all you want?"

    Sorry but i don't get your last sentence. You may wish to rephrase.

    But the tell-all is in this line, isn't it?

    "Need not for me to dwell on what's appreciation about if one have explored more and feel with the heart. how much do you understand about this?"

    Look, stop being romantic about environmental issues. Climate change and environmental issues is supposed to be a science. You get all the information you can, analyse it, then make the best possible decision. If you advocate a course of action, be it spreading awareness or whatnot, at least know some of the consequences and objectives.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Back to thread topic....

    Another link to share... for serious reader

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    somewhat related link regarding rapid urbanisation

    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_286820.html
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post

    BTW ArchRival did you have a look at the link to the environmental forum I left you on another thread? You can go wild there.
    Yes i did, but i like it here.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    alternative views are voiced cos Al Gore is firstly & foremost a politician, unless supporting links to his 'green' movement can be traced back to his much younger days, using him as an example is not ideal.

    this Al Gore going green is not a very new thing, oso, there are inaccuracy in the facts put forth to champion his own cause. the TS should have chosen a betta example. if he does not like others pointing the flaws out. to imply alternative views that are not totally baseless, as a challenge speaks poorly about how little 1 believe in this issue altogether.

    the change needed most in this forum is to agree to disagree with civility & grace, not label others in a way just to get an emotive response & generally create a "scene"...
    Yes, there are many better ways and better examples than this movie.

    If anything, the movie puts information (inaccuracies include) in such a way that it can trigger off some thought processes for the man on the street.

    Al Gore might be campaigning for his own political cause, but we can choose to look at the big picture- on the issue of conservation. For example, I don't he gains much should I choose a way of life that consumes less energy.

    And I agree with your point, we do need more civility.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Agreed. Especially with the words in bold, I think applies to those who support the theory and those who do not.

    Actually, I am a bit concerned about the way this discussion is going.

    My interpretation is that the TS started this thread with the intention of providing another set of views on the idea of global warming, to accept/believe the messages from the film is entirely up to the viewer.

    Fair game also to the opponents of the message if they can provide their own sources of information to correct what was falsified in the film. It is when we compare and verify information that we become more aware of the situation, that is when we make informed choices about the way we live.

    I don't think anyone is trying to "save the earth" which is a rather belittling and condescending way of describing the intentions. Bombarding each other with rhetorical questions is seldom a constructive way of discussion.
    What do you mean exactly by 'providing another set if views'?

    That film is not 'another view' IMO. The fact that it's endorsed by Al Gore, Leonardo Di Caprio, Cameron Diaz and other Hollywood actors makes it the popular idea. The opposite idea of these films is the other point of view.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jix View Post
    What do you mean exactly by 'providing another set if views'?

    That film is not 'another view' IMO. The fact that it's endorsed by Al Gore, Leonardo Di Caprio, Cameron Diaz and other Hollywood actors makes it the popular idea. The opposite idea of these films is the other point of view.
    Well, if your stand is that the popular view is the right view, then thats your choice.

    I'm not sure what you mean by the opposite idea of this film is, cause I don't know what your interpretation of the idea of this film is in the first place.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Whoa, now i'm called a thug.

    Look, it's simple. I asked very simple questions with regards to the plight of the Bangladeshis:

    "What are your thoughts on the matter? How do we help these people? What should governments/scientists/students do?"

    Instead of providing suggestions, Tupi decided to clam up.

    "it's no point to for me to talk with you this. You seem like quite like to "challenge"? How about want to me for kopi to talk till all you want?"

    Sorry but i don't get your last sentence. You may wish to rephrase.

    But the tell-all is in this line, isn't it?

    "Need not for me to dwell on what's appreciation about if one have explored more and feel with the heart. how much do you understand about this?"

    Look, stop being romantic about environmental issues. Climate change and environmental issues is supposed to be a science. You get all the information you can, analyse it, then make the best possible decision. If you advocate a course of action, be it spreading awareness or whatnot, at least know some of the consequences and objectives.
    To get things back into perspectives, the thread is started to stimulate reflections on our part. There is nothing romantic about environmental issues, much as I wish it is merely an issue for us to romanticize about, unfortunately, it is as real as can be. There is no denying that global warming is happening just as many other catastrophes and sufferings around the world (i.e. the plight of the Bangladeshis). I am no scientist or experts who delved into researches regarding those issues, that is why I am not in any position to provide suggestions. Which brings us back as to why I started this thread in the first place. If everyone is looked upon as an agent of change in their own tiny ways, are we then ready to change the way we live to reduce carbon emissions in our own ways?
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  16. #56

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    alternative views are voiced cos Al Gore is firstly & foremost a politician, unless supporting links to his 'green' movement can be traced back to his much younger days, using him as an example is not ideal.

    this Al Gore going green is not a very new thing, oso, there are inaccuracy in the facts put forth to champion his own cause. the TS should have chosen a betta example. if he does not like others pointing the flaws out. to imply alternative views that are not totally baseless, as a challenge speaks poorly about how little 1 believe in this issue altogether.

    the change needed most in this forum is to agree to disagree with civility & grace, not label others in a way just to get an emotive response & generally create a "scene"...
    Many reforms or dramatic change has to come with self-mastery and reflection. It is always easy to critique others and be blind our own flaws. I, too am learning everyday. To focus back on the discussion, The Inconvenience Truth might not be the best of example, but it is meant to be a stimuli to get us thinking. I am not saying that I agree with everything Al gore says, it is quite obvious that I am aware of his political agenda. However, all things aside, I believe that global warming is still a real issue and it is indeed our social responsibility to start doing something about it.

    If Al gore is not an ideal example, perhaps in Bill McKibben's* word, "..global warming presents the greatest test we human have yet faced. Are we ready to change, in dramatic and prolonged ways, in order to offer a workable future to subsequent generations and divers forms of life?...It's our coming-of-age moment, and there are no certainties or guarantees. Only a window of possibility, closing fast but still ajar enough to let in some hope."
    * Bill McKibben is author of environmental topics, his perspectives once again, not advocating that his words is the Truth.

    Indeed it is a coming-of-age moment, as responsible global citizens, we must be mature enough and look beyond our nose.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Yes, there are many better ways and better examples than this movie.

    If anything, the movie puts information (inaccuracies include) in such a way that it can trigger off some thought processes for the man on the street.

    Al Gore might be campaigning for his own political cause, but we can choose to look at the big picture- on the issue of conservation. For example, I don't he gains much should I choose a way of life that consumes less energy.

    And I agree with your point, we do need more civility.
    in a way, it did trigger off thoughts that pointed out the inaccuracies. the big picture is 1 without political implications.

    conservation is as much about energy reduction as it is about lifestyle choices. unfortunately, modernisation has brought about an increase. think big city, bright lights. each time a place is renewed more energy & resources is consumed.

    1 can do his/her part in small ways, but its up to those who can make the difference in big ways to lend their strength.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  18. #58

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Next time, I run for election.

    I promise maximum conservation.

    Vote for me and I'll convert all your hdb flats to treehouses.

    I give every household free exercise bike. Tied to generator! So you can only consume what you can produce.

    Save on gym membership too
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Many reforms or dramatic change has to come with self-mastery and reflection. It is always easy to critique others and be blind our own flaws. I, too am learning everyday. To focus back on the discussion, The Inconvenience Truth might not be the best of example, but it is meant to be a stimuli to get us thinking. I am not saying that I agree with everything Al gore says, it is quite obvious that I am aware of his political agenda. However, all things aside, I believe that global warming is still a real issue and it is indeed our social responsibility to start doing something about it.

    If Al gore is not an ideal example, perhaps in Bill McKibben's* word, "..global warming presents the greatest test we human have yet faced. Are we ready to change, in dramatic and prolonged ways, in order to offer a workable future to subsequent generations and divers forms of life?...It's our coming-of-age moment, and there are no certainties or guarantees. Only a window of possibility, closing fast but still ajar enough to let in some hope."
    * Bill McKibben is author of environmental topics, his perspectives once again, not advocating that his words is the Truth.

    Indeed it is a coming-of-age moment, as responsible global citizens, we must be mature enough and look beyond our nose.
    we must be matured enough to know a subjective topic will always have voices on both sides of the issue.

    if u believe in the change u speak, den why not use this chance to win critics over? instead u chose to go the low road with a reply like...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    it's no point to for me to talk with you this. You seem like quite like to "challenge"? How about want to me for kopi to talk till all you want?
    when u said "Are we ready to change...", who are the "we"?

    1 can look beyond 1's nose & not see the potential danger the immediate surroundings hold.

    maybe the thinking that is needed is how to convince critics, not use the word "mature" to imply that those who disagree with u are otherwise. would a person who passionately believes wad he does, be disheartened by unknown critics who question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Many reforms or dramatic change has to come with self-mastery and reflection.
    wad r u trying to say?
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  20. #60

    Default Re: Are you ready to change the way you live?

    Umm. Actually the topic is no longer subjective.

    We MUST be prepared for climate change.

    IIRC Sg govt is already studying the use of dykes. And as individuals we must reduce unnessary excesses.

    Ultimately, even if not for the envrionment. It will be for economics. Just look at Katrina's cost to the economy.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •