Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notebook Dilemma

Default Re: Notebook Dilemma

yeah baby! get a mac. even a white mac would be more stable than any pc around. believe me once u switch over u will never look back. and get with applecare please. (:

Art People / Casual People = Mac
    Gamers / Office People = PC

I personally switched over from a PC to a Mac, and Mac rules.

I've been using my Acer with AMD processor for 3 years without any problem and I just upgraded to a Compaq with AMD processor and ATI 2 years back and it's still going strong. My next upgrade would probably be a Sony, Acer or HP/Compaq.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG View Post
    For photography use ?

How about MacBook Pro ... ...

YMMV
    yah... for photo editing, internet, office work, some gaming...

the new MacBook Aluminium looks sexy and cool... but the price killer lah. the 13" model already more than 2K.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    yah... for photo editing, internet, office work, some gaming...

the new MacBook Aluminium looks sexy and cool... but the price killer lah. the 13" model already more than 2K.
    Hows the drivers for the MacBook Aluminium in Windows Vista 64 or Windows 7. I want a Mac, but running Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by robotech View Post
    Hows the drivers for the MacBook Aluminium in Windows Vista 64 or Windows 7. I want a Mac, but running Windows.
    boot camp lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    boot camp lor...
    don't want Boot Camp can? can install Windows directly and boot up from the partition?

don't want Boot Camp can? can install Windows directly and boot up from the partition?
    waste money lor... Mac hardware, Windows OS... perfect waste of money.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I have been using the Tecra A6 from Toshiba and hand no problems with it at all. The A6 has been replaced now with the M10.

option 1
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 1GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), Intel® GMA 4500MHD, up to 779MB total available graphics, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 1-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)
    14.1” W XGA with Serial Port
    Note : we can install Window XP Professional if require

option 2
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 2GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 150M external 256MB VRAM, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 3-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)

option 3
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 2GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WSXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 150M external 256MB VRAM, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 3-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)

These all weight in at 2.4kg, but if you want lighter Toshiba can go down to 1.09 KG but with 12.1" screen.

No I dont work for them, just use their products.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    waste money lor... Mac hardware, Windows OS... perfect waste of money.
    Howcome waste $$$? Mac hardware better according to most people that use Mac. Just the OS change to Windows only.

mohgui : It's possible, can wipe out the whole partition and install Vista without bootcamp.

Howcome waste $$$? Mac hardware better according to most people that use Mac. Just the OS change to Windows only.

mohgui : It's possible, can wipe out the whole partition and install Vista without bootcamp.
    mac hardware is essentially 'lower end' PC hardware

for eg, mac now uses intel chips, but using normally a batch older version, or few months after its launched on PC.

even the graphics card also... cos of the driver compatibility, hence only a few hardware are used with mac.

you're paying alot more for mac hardware than PC hardware, which is physically identical.

dude... thanks!

yah... been thinking of this too since the Mac users swear by the Mac hardware. must be the hardware is more superior. i'm so used to Windows... don't know if i want to switch to Mac for the moment.

anyway, the price is still way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    I have been using the Tecra A6 from Toshiba and hand no problems with it at all. The A6 has been replaced now with the M10.

option 1
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T5870 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 1GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), Intel® GMA 4500MHD, up to 779MB total available graphics, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 1-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)

option 2
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 2GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 150M external 256MB VRAM, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 3-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)

option 3
    Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB), Intel Wireless 802.11(a/g/n), WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS, 2GB RAM, 250GB (SATA) with shock absorbers, 14.1" WSXGA TFT, DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM), NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 150M external 256MB VRAM, Bluetooth V2.1(+EDR), 1Gbps LAN, Serial port, IEEE1394, Trusted Platform Module, Spill Resistant Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, 3-yr ILW (carry-in, part & labor)

These all weight in at 2.4kg, but if you want lighter Toshiba can go down to 1.09 KG but with 12.1" screen.

No I dont work for them, just use their products.

Cheers ....
    not too sure if the above 3 options mentioned are within my budget of $1.5K. if option #1 is, then the specs is not what i'm looking for... i don't want some integrated graphics processor. i prefer the likes of Nvidia or ATi.

thanks for the options though.

btw, this is the spec i'm looking for with my budget of approximately $1.5K

CPU - Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Graphics - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB
    Screen - 15.4"
    HDD - 320GB
    RAM - 4GB

the above can be achieved with Dell XPS M1530.

not too sure if the above 3 options mentioned are within my budget of $1.5K. if option #1 is, then the specs is not what i'm looking for... i don't want some integrated graphics processor. i prefer the likes of Nvidia or ATi.

thanks for the options though.

btw, this is the spec i'm looking for with my budget of approximately $1.5K

CPU - Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Graphics - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB
    Screen - 15.4"
    HDD - 320GB
    RAM - 4GB

the above can be achieved with Dell XPS M1530.
    Option 1 would be about $1.5K.

As I said it all depends on what you are looking for. I have had dell before and friends who have had dell, if anything goes wrong with the laptop its sent to Penang to repair as that is Dells repair center, no laptop for minimum 4 weeks if still under warranty. I had a friend bought a dell put it in hibernation mode, closed the lid, tried to open it up 3 hours later, screen had melted into keyboard.

If you carry the laptop around what is the weight, 15.4" screen pushes you upto 3KG.

Good luck on whatever laptop you buy and as I say to many people, its your money its your choice, there are pro's and con's for everything.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

hmm.. The Ram and HDD can be upgraded easily by yourself if you need bigger capacity.

Most manufacturers have stopped voiding the warranty for RAM upgrade. If you were to DIY the RAM, it would cost you less than if you upgraded it as an option with dell.

HDD would be more tricky as you need all the hardware drivers and OS in a disc before you can try a swap. May void the warranty too. Go for a stand alone graphics card.. Integrated cannot make it. Especially in areas like gaming, photo editing or video editing.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

vince123123
    Guests

I've always been wondering why people talk about "gaming" on a notebook computer. If someone wants to game, isn't it better to use a desktop as the power for buck is so much more efficient? How can one game effectively on a notebook computer with small keys, some keys missing, small screen etc?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I've always been wondering why people talk about "gaming" on a notebook computer. If someone wants to game, isn't it better to use a desktop as the power for buck is so much more efficient? How can one game effectively on a notebook computer with small keys, some keys missing, small screen etc?
    Maybe LAN Party? hehe...just bring notebook , keyboard and mouse.

yep.. can have lan party in sch! My class once set up a CS lan party using 12 laptops and a wifi router.

a laptop is no replacement for a properly set up gaming rig. However, people still want bang for buck, so if you can play some games on a $1.5K laptop, its a small consolation right?
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

1st acer last me 5 yr plus..

change only i accidentally spoil the screen..

2nd acer now 2 yr plus..

still going strong..
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post
    1st acer last me 5 yr plus..

change only i accidentally spoil the screen..

2nd acer now 2 yr plus..

still going strong..
    depends on your luck... some ppl fated to be bo yuan with acer... acer is still acer becos of ppl like u...

like me bo yuan with gigabyte stuff... asus FTW... recommend look at Asus lappy too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast