Thread: no flash allowed situations

Default no flash allowed situations

I want everybody to list all the situations/scenes in which no flash is allowed and the way to take photos in those situations/scenes?

As far as i known,

* Night Safari (low light)

solution: Large aperture (depends on DoF), high ISO setting or using a IR flash to take IR photos

* Some museums (usually low light)

solution: Large aperture (depends on DoF), high ISO setting (I do not know whether IR flash is allowed or not)

It seems that high ISO setting is the ultimate solution if the noise level can be better controlled.

any more situations?
    Last edited by jayzhuo; 22nd April 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Default Re: no flash allowed situations

Sometimes, even crazy high ISO at 12800 or above may not be the ideal answer, because you can't change the lighting ratio or contrast levels of the original scene.

Just have to cope. Not many people have or know how to use IR flash. I doubt if photographing museum exhibits sensitive to UV light would be a problem if you use IR flash, but it's always good to check first if you're genuinely concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by jayzhuo View Post
    I want everybody to list all the situations/scenes in which no flash is allowed and the way to take photos in those situations/scenes?

As far as i known,

* Night Safari (low light)

solution: Large aperture (depends on DoF), high ISO setting or using a IR flash to take IR photos

* Some museums (usually low light)

solution: Large aperture (depends on DoF), high ISO setting (I do not know whether IR flash is allowed or not)

It seems that high ISO setting is the ultimate solution if the noise level can be better controlled.

any more situations?
    Yup, in churches

High ISO on digital nowadays is a godsend. In the film days, you wouldn't dream of shooting available light in a dimly lit church, even with a f/1.4 lens. Nowadays, so many digital bodies have ISO up to 6400 or 12800. It opens up a new realm of possibilities.

If the situation is so dark that even at widest aperture and high ISO of 1600/3200 still only warrants a low shutter of 1/15 and below, I will forget about taking the pictures totally as it will not appear nice anyway...

Hi-ISO and large aperture and just pray for the best...

You'd need to understand your camera's metering also... dark situations will easily fool the cameras...

e.g.

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    If the situation is so dark that even at widest aperture and high ISO of 1600/3200 still only warrants a low shutter of 1/15 and below, I will forget about taking the pictures totally as it will not appear nice anyway...
    That's why we need 25600 or higher ISO which should handle most of the situations, but just as you said, if the scene is so dark (e.g. totally dark), even such a high ISO does not help. At this situation, we must use additional illuminations, such as flash or other light sources.

- Use high ISO.
    - Use wide aperture.
    - Use lens with IS/VR.
    - Use a tripod/monopod if it is allowed.
    - Make use of any nearby supports, like benches in the church, wall or column, etc.

depending on how dark the place is a combition of high ISO, "fast" aperture, anti-shake mechanism, slow shutter speed & tripod (or other stablizing equipement) will help alot.

but as Jayzhuo mentioned, some situations are so dark there is no way to capture a still shot.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Another location I can think of is JBP's owl display area. very low lights

Use tripod and long exposure. Good thing is owls usually stay very still.

some said that flash is harmful to baby's eyes, so i think flash is also not allowed in baby photography.

Quote Originally Posted by jayzhuo View Post
    some said that flash is harmful to baby's eyes, so i think flash is also not allowed in baby photography.
    Using Google one can find the same questions several times with many answers in the same way: no harm. The flash is merely increasing the light to a level that is equivalent to an outdoor scene where no flash is necessary. So what harm can there be? It only might be inconvenient due to the sudden event. If still concerned use diffuser.

I just got back from JBP and yeah, the owl exhibit is extremely dark, I could hardly even see where I was going. Also, trying to focus on the bird's eye was almost impossible, the viewfinder was almost totally black except a very very faint silhoutte - i suddenly felt like I was back in army range trying to do night-shoot on a target with a missing light.....

Anyway, this was what I managed....

Exif:
    Canon EOS 300D
    Canon 55-200mm USM
    F-stop: f/4.5
    Shutter: 1/3 sec
    ISO: 1600
    Exposure: 0step
    Focal length 55mm
    Flash: Non
    Tripod: Non (hand-held)

Had quite a few misses here and only a very small handful of slightly decent shots... no tripod.....

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Yup, in churches

High ISO on digital nowadays is a godsend. In the film days, you wouldn't dream of shooting available light in a dimly lit church, even with a f/1.4 lens. Nowadays, so many digital bodies have ISO up to 6400 or 12800. It opens up a new realm of possibilities.
    any good website to learn how to use flash and its setting... i tried trial and error many times... i dnt want to go auto mode... dnt ask me go library k.. hee... cos i ever search the library liao... nothing for me to read on...
    thks in advance...
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    any good website to learn how to use flash and its setting... i tried trial and error many times... i dnt want to go auto mode... dnt ask me go library k.. hee... cos i ever search the library liao... nothing for me to read on...
    thks in advance...
    I recommend reading this website: Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras It's a very detailed explanation about Flash with EOS systems, has helped me a lot to understand what the camera is doing.
    In addition I'd recommend Strobist