Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: replacing DSLR with a compact?

Default Re: replacing DSLR with a compact?

Quote Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
    I'm not deadset on Canon cameras. Any other brand recommendations also ok. Thanks.
    What about Ricoh cameras like the GR digital II and GX200.

I didn't emphasize this earlier.
    I'm not deadset on Canon cameras. Any other brand recommendations also ok. But hotshoe is a must. Thanks.
    The Ricoh GRD II and GX200 support external flash. Same with the Nikon P6000 and the P6000 has a builtin GPS (cool feature). The GRD II has a fixed focal length lens only and both cameras support DNG output.

If it was between the G10 and the SX1 I would pick the SX1 because I think it has a better lens and it has full-HD video. Its also Canon's first PnS camera with a CMOS sensor. The camera isn't cheap though at $900 its approaching DSLR prices.
    Last edited by K3N; 23rd April 2009 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added more comments

Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    If it was between the G10 and the SX1 I would pick the SX1 because I think it has a better lens and it has full-HD video. Its also Canon's first PnS camera with a CMOS sensor. The camera isn't cheap though at $900 its approaching DSLR prices.
    Had a look at the review on the SX1, it's IQ is not as good as the SX10 let alone the G10...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I think there comes a time when everyone first takes up SLR and is focused solely on the technical aspect and making things work, such as nailing the white balance or exposure or focus.

The trick to making a good image with a SLR is to get these basics under your belt and grounded into your head, so it becomes more natural to you. Then, you can more easily focus on the creative aspect. It's like how a race car driver, once familiar with his machine, can focus on the race, rather than the individual technical aspects of the car itself.
    Totally agree. DSLR is definitely a better tool then a compact, and can produce better results when used properly. When the result is the other way round, the user will probably need to spend more time to master the necessary skills in using the more powerful tool. I'm using both a DSLR (Fuji S5pro) and a compact camera (Fuji f11) myself, and they complement each other very well. But in terms of image quality, the DSLR beats the compact hands down anytime.
    Last edited by ziploc; 23rd April 2009 at 09:33 AM.

I've been using the DSLR for about 6 months. I realised with the DSLR, I'm shooting for the sake of shooting. I tend to "machine-gun" then thrash well over 95% of my shots. [...]

It's likely due to my lack of skill but I seem to get better shots using a PnS, comparing just out of cam. I'm not that demanding with how the photos turn out but if I have to PS each photo to make it look better than the one taken by a PnS, I might be better off getting a PnS.
    I can see two possible reasons here: expectations and skills. You seem to expect the same results as from your PnS when using the DSLR. But the latter is a more complex tool where more input from you is needed. It's like having a 'transformer car' and just idle cruising through the neighbourhood instead of exploring it's capabilities off-road, on race course or whatever the 'transformer car' can do. The DSLR can be transformed to do many jobs, ranging from fishy wide angle to counting craters at the moon or watching the bird high in the tree.
    Try to apply the same shooting style for DSLR as for your SLR. Get a small memory card, e.g. 256MB where you cannot 'machine gun'. Think in the same careful way as when shooting film. It's this thinking process that makes pictures great, when you take care about purpose, story, composition etc. and turn it into the correct settings.
    PnS have a built-in post-processing. Post-processing is part of the picture taking. You bring your film to the lab for processing and printing, for digital images it will be your job. The PnS has a lot of internal settings, predefined at values that make pictures look better. The DSLR is rather neutral. You could see if you can load Picture Styles (I know 400D and 450D can do) to get similar boosting effects. Or you learn to use post-processing tools. Have a look at Lightroom where you can copy processing steps to all images, Photoshop has something similar. It's there to shorten post-processing time.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I think there comes a time when everyone first takes up SLR and is focused solely on the technical aspect and making things work, such as nailing the white balance or exposure or focus.

The trick to making a good image with a SLR is to get these basics under your belt and grounded into your head, so it becomes more natural to you. Then, you can more easily focus on the creative aspect. It's like how a race car driver, once familiar with his machine, can focus on the race, rather than the individual technical aspects of the car itself.
    well that's what my wife lacks... patience

and if we go with the car logic... lets say a very good driver of a japanese sedan is told he/she can drive better in a ferrari, it doesnt instantly mean he/she will be a better driver, or he/she will be comfortable with it. maybe that person will be best left alone in his sedan. but yes everyone will look cool driving a ferrari
    Last edited by napalmdog; 23rd April 2009 at 06:35 PM.

One advantage of pns is live view. Half press on focus you generally get the exposure feedback of the photo to be taken on preview. That saves on wasted shots. Otherwise entry level compared to prosumers most basics are the same. Metering, focus, focal length / zoom ratio, white balance, user friendliness of bundled software to process raw files. While PNS seems 'insignificant' DSLR has the shutter count to worry about. technically most entry level dslr sensors handles noise better than most prosumers. Electronics and optics should be looked into between a prosumer and entry level DSLR. When you get serious into a specific type of photography (e.g macro, portraits, sports, nature and wildlife) DSLR is the way to go with more choices and superior add-ons, lens, focal length, speed (aperture in terms of aperture size) and shutter lag etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12