Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 450D vs 40D

  1. #1

    Default 450D vs 40D

    Hi peeps, this ma 1stpost, here goes.... Am contemplating between a Brand new canon 450d or a 2nd Hand canon 40D.... Please advice, which would be a better buy... Value for money, image quality, upgrade friendly and so on... I,ve used a 450d before so i am already comfortable in manual mode.... ur views deeply appreciated... cheers.

  2. #2
    Member rajahchindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Jurong West
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by nomad69 View Post
    Hi peeps, this ma 1stpost, here goes.... Am contemplating between a Brand new canon 450d or a 2nd Hand canon 40D.... Please advice, which would be a better buy... Value for money, image quality, upgrade friendly and so on... I,ve used a 450d before so i am already comfortable in manual mode.... ur views deeply appreciated... cheers.
    hello there.

    first of all, you should know the difference between 40D and 450D
    450D - Entry Level DSLR
    40D - Semi-Pro DSLR

    so in terms of value for money, build, functions, image quality and upgrade friendly 40D WINS!
    but there is one thing you should know.
    Canon Entry-Level DSLRS are miles apart from its higher-end DSLRs in terms of functions and user interface.
    so when you start upgrade from 450D to lets say 5D (for full frame) in the the future, then you are gonna have to learn everything all over again
    however the 40D/50D interface is closer to the full frame DSLR interface
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    I choose the 450D over the 40D mostly because of its weight.... for handling I can always add a VG to it....

  4. #4

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by rajahchindian View Post
    hello there.

    first of all, you should know the difference between 40D and 450D
    450D - Entry Level DSLR
    40D - Semi-Pro DSLR

    so in terms of value for money, build, functions, image quality and upgrade friendly 40D WINS!
    but there is one thing you should know.
    Canon Entry-Level DSLRS are miles apart from its higher-end DSLRs in terms of functions and user interface.
    so when you start upgrade from 450D to lets say 5D (for full frame) in the the future, then you are gonna have to learn everything all over again
    however the 40D/50D interface is closer to the full frame DSLR interface
    2nd this opnion,

    but yea might be abit difficult to learn such a sophisticated cam at the strt if you go str. into 40D. But well value, build, function, quality 40D wins hands down.

    But if you wan something easy to handle and cheaper then 450D. It's just like buying a car, like ur end goal is a ferrair e.g. you can strt with a audi or a toyota. Your choice

    Cowz.
    Olympus E-3: ZD 12-60mm F2.8-4 SWD|ZD 40-150mm F3.5-4.5|OM 50mm F1.4
    My Faith is my shield

  5. #5

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    I started with 1000D and within 4 mths i am now using a 40D (used)...no regrets! I must say that if you are really a noob in DSLR den i wouldn't advise you to start with a 40/50D cos i feel that it's not just abt understanding the manuals but more importantly ur experience with the canon's user interface and their actual functions,usability and actual capability/limits of a canon DSLR and even though i am pretty well versed with the 1000D's functions, it still took me quite a while to fully utilize and maximize the advantages of the 40D....my 2 cents!

  6. #6

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    40D most definitely. i bought a 450D and sold it to buy a 40D after 2 months. the 40D (used) has a lot more features which can be obtained for the price of a 450D (new). since you already know how to handle a 450D, u'd def enjoy the 40D much more.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I choose the 450D over the 40D mostly because of its weight.... for handling I can always add a VG to it....
    imo, i feel that a VG definitely bulks it up for better grip and hold, but its still different - the material, feel and overall ergonomics are different. since TS has already used a 450D before, best would be to test holding the 40D to see if its fine. no right or wrong here.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    Most of the feature in the 40D is available in the 450D too.... The 40D excel in mostly performance than functionality.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    Have experiened this before:
    i) if you buy the 450D, it looks good and does perform well in good light conditions. However, after buying it, I was a bit embarrassed because the speed was slow, if you are taking pictures in rapid succession, like a birthday party, or events. Even with in-built flash, the speed tripped me. Picture quality was acceptable. Like other people here, have to sell the 450D.
    ii)the 40D is a larger and heavier camera, but better image quality. Speed was much better, and picture quality? very much better...even when hand held, the picture quality is better and good in night light conditions. Many of the clubsnappers here attest to that.

    You may wish to rent the 40D (there are hiring companies in Singapore; you need only an IC to do so, and advanced payment). Try it and see if you like it.

    There are now many second hand 40Ds on sale here in the buy and sell section, and also the 450D. If you buy new, you will lost quite a lot of money, even if you sell after a few weeks. Why don't you go to Canon showroom in Vivocity, and try (get an SD card for the 450D try out, and a compact flash card for the 40D). That is another way to try.

    Hope this helps.

    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    read www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com for beginner's photography

  10. #10

    Default Re: 450D vs 40D

    you said that you have already tried and tested the 450D..go on and upgrade to the more rigid, faster camera, that is the 40D.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •