Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is changing lens when you are shooting hard?

Default Re: Is changing lens when you are shooting hard?

To TS: First thing: don't rush. If you try to be as fast as possible you'll increase the chance of dropping something. Then, a good bag helps. I have a slingshot bag. When it is in front of me it's like a small table with an opening where I can access my lenses.
    The rest is quite similar to what others have described. In addition: use lens hoods. After unmounting from the camera you can just put the lens front element down into the bag.

Haha, i really meant it!
    Yea but how did you get "promoted"?

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by marieloves- View Post
    Haha, i really meant it!
    Yea but how did you get "promoted"?

Marie
    thanks, u made my day!

i have no idea, i think i must have here for a long time, crap too much or just getting old in CS terms? wahahaa....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my current bag lets me change my lenses with ease & little worry, i dun think i 1 2 risk holding 2 lenses with 1 hand. the front element is 72/7mm thread.

dun 1 2 oops....
    have u seen the "light" yet?

Hehe, you guys made my day too!
    All the warm ppl here in CS!
    Hehe!
    Just curious, how many lenses would you bring out usually?

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Im thinking of buying a 55-200vr to match my 18-55.The problem is,would it be a hard task changing lens when you are shooting halfway.Like when you do street or landscape and you are in the public and there's no proper table for you to change lens is it difficult?For say dropping your lens scratch glass or so on.If possible please tell me the procedure you take changing lens.I know you have to face your camera down to change lens and putting the rear cover of the lens as fast as you can
    er, no, it is not hard.

camera around neck, take out new lens, remove rear cap, er, hold rear cap with mouth, unscrew old lens, put in new lens right away, make sure locked, take rear cap from mouth, and put on old lens.

usually takes 5 seconds or so.

good for u!

i oni have 2, so its those 2 usually. i rarely just go out shooting with 1.
    have u seen the "light" yet?

I see! Haha, oh what are those 2 lenses?

Marie

if thats ur only issue, just get the lens! it wont be a problem. if you do it right,
    in many events i have 2 bodies but 3 lenses...
    the 70-200 always stays on, cause its the hardest to swap and wont fit into my lens pouch.
    the only small "mishap" i've gotten so far, was when i was swapping out a lens for the tokina 11-16 which has a curved lens hood, so it was wobbling and fell off just when i was removing the lens from body... luckily it only fell from like 2 feet, and on to some cables. No damage!
    As for changing rear lens caps, i guess my big hands help, holding 2 lenses in one hand and screw on one lens cap to the other...
    Last edited by deklan; 22nd April 2009 at 01:23 AM.

When shooting events, I have a waist pouch that is able to carry two lenses. I usually have one or two on either side of my waist (usually one; two looks weird. Haha), that allows me quick access to my lenses.

I also keep both the front and rear caps off when shooting events (they stay in my bag). With the camera slung on a strap, just press the release with one hand, while you rotate the lens out of its mount with the same hand. The other hand reaches for a new lens. My pouch is usually on my right, so I use my right hand to release and remove the lens, while my left crosses over to pull out the new lens. It takes about 3-5s on average.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12