Thread: D60 worth it?

Default D60 worth it?

I'm a tight budget as I'm saving my own money for my DSLR.
    I was wondering if the Nikon D60 is worth it for me as I'm just starting out.
    Thinking about upgrading to D90 in the future if there are no better models.
    Yay or nay?

Default Re: D60 worth it?

Get a D60!!! Its a good camera for its price. U can consider the D5000 if u are willing to wait.

Imho, the 3 focal points aren't enough for me

Otherwise, it's a great/light body

Quote Originally Posted by tsuperman-ed View Post
    Yay or nay?
    There are a lot of good entry-level DSLRs that are even cheaper than the D60 and more full-featured. I suggest you look around a bit more.
    Alpha

The Nikon D60 is definitely a fine camera. But since you mentioned that you are on a tight budget, isn't that incentive for you to research more to understand what exactly you need and which camera can fulfill that?

Do you choose Nikon over the other brands? In my opinion, I think beginners should just jump to D90 level... unless you think size is very important, then go for D60. My reasoning is that D60 has very basic functions which I will outgrow pretty soon. For me, my first dSLR was a D300, because I want to use old lenses and have metering with them. I agree with Rashkae that there are many other entry-level cameras from other brands that are more full-featured than the D60. If you haven't decided on Nikon, then do have a look-around. But if you've decided that you die die also must have Nikon and you can live with the D60 for a couple of years, haha! Go for it! =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Talking Re: D60 worth it?

if you're on a budget, check CS buy/sell and see if you can pick up a d40/x instead...similar features...then use the money saved on a better lens...

just my tots
    OM-D 12.4.12 / 8.1.11-18.3.12 - gf1 -RIP / 24.1.9 - dec.10 d90 - RIP / 5.6.7-24.1.9 - d40 - RIP

Thanks all for the opinions so far, keep 'em coming!

Going straight to D90 will be too much for me, as it's really expensive.
    I'll look around for more cameras, thanks for the advice.

Thanks all for the opinions so far, keep 'em coming!

Going straight to D90 will be too much for me, as it's really expensive.
    I'll look around for more cameras, thanks for the advice.
    Just get ready your budget and you will feel happier when you get your dream camera.

Wait for the D5000, it seems to handle noise better.

for me it's worth it, very light.
    can shoot nice photos.
    "wisdom is not measured by the knowledge you know, but the knowledge you have"
    forever newbie: D60

I recommend D90

I'm saving up for my first DSLR too. Waiting for D5000 to release first. If I can't afford it, D60 will be my second choice then.

I've played around with D60 before - interface is friendlier and more attractive than the higher-end Nikons as the info is clearly laid out on the main LCD, but my concern is that the camera doesn't really give much room for expandability.

Quote Originally Posted by Roark Stiggs View Post
    I'm saving up for my first DSLR too. Waiting for D5000 to release first. If I can't afford it, D60 will be my second choice then.

I've played around with D60 before - interface is friendlier and more attractive than the higher-end Nikons as the info is clearly laid out on the main LCD, but my concern is that the camera doesn't really give much room for expandability.
    Okay i won't disagree, but mayb coz of not much functions. But once you get a cam after using it for a while you will know how to navigate and access functions and settings in no time. Besides being user friendly have to check out on sensor and other useful functions e.g live-view and bigger brighter viewfinder. Some may not agree but my next cam will want one with these functions

Can you afford to delay your purchase and increase your budget? If so, go for the Nikon D90 or D5000.

Can you afford to wait? If so, wait and purchase the Nikon D60 after the launch of the D5000. There may, just may, be a price decrease. This is highly speculative, but hey, if you don't have any urgent need for a dSLR, why not wait?

Need a camera now? Get the D60.

The D60 can produce good image and color much better than older models as I have seen. With a sharp lens (not limited to Nikon lens) to go with, it will do just fine and even better.
    D60 works perfectly fine for those who won't be shooting odd condition or trying to catch a concord plane. Scratch and knocks without heartpain

My nikon friend commented that in-body motor is important but I felt not since you are unlikely to use many lens for the time being. And should your lens outlive your expectation mean you are ready for an change. I have seen 2 person happy with cam for a long long time since they just like to take photos.

Noise control limitation? A user will somehow (by nature) learn how to work within or avoids the camera's limitation when he/she takes sufficient pics. So working equipment will compensate. It takes a big lens to take a very big moon pic, not a big camera.

So yes, the D60 can take equally good photo as the upstreamers. Photo edit sw is important too but need not be Photoshop class.

Yay or nay?

My advise is, don't buy any new dSLR 1week before going on a tour, thinking it will take better pictures. It is likely to disappoint you as one is not accustom to it's ups and downs. A good P&S will do better in this case.

Yay or nay?
    actually, just to check, what's ur budget?

if u're on budget, i would recommend a 2nd hand D70/D70s body and get at AF-D 50mm f/1.8 lens and you're good to go!!!

The thing i dun like abt Nikon's entry level models (D40/D60/D5000) is that they dun have AF motor which can't autofocus on AF-D lenses.
    Nikon D300