Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Cleaning our precious lenses...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    denatured ethyl alcohol (EMS) 95% same?
    No, it is not.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    denatured ethyl alcohol (EMS) 95% same?
    actually no. ethyl-alchohol doesnt work as well as isopropanol when it comes to removing fingerprints, oil marks etc..
    pedantic.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bt Timah
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    actually no. ethyl-alchohol doesnt work as well as isopropanol when it comes to removing fingerprints, oil marks etc..
    ok time to buy 1 more bottle for lens then... i use the former for my in-ear monitors
    Canon: 5DMkIII, 7D, 2470f2.8L, 50f1.8, 70200f2.8L IS II, 430EX II, 600EX
    kineticexpressions.org

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    .. lenspens once you touch the tip by accident with your finger, is gone case, you can throw the thing away because it will just spread your finger oil everywhere
    No so bad la. I touched the lenspen tip once, I cleaned a piece of glass right after, close the lens pen cover, give it a twist, and after that used it on a lens again. No problems. The carbon will adhere to the finger oils, after cleaning, it will drop off like normal cleaning. recharge the carbon powder but closing the cover and twisting it. After that, use as per normal no problem.

    Is your finger very sweaty or very oily? If it is, maybe it will be gone case if you touched it. One other thing, I find the life of lenspen will be very short if left in humid conditions. This makes sense as powder will cake up if too humid and the cleaning agent is carbon powder. I find that if I put the lenspen in the dehumidifier with my other gear, it lasts very very long.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    I was very skeptical about IPA too. However, after trying it out, I dare say its the most effective solution for oils, stains and fingerprints. From my experience, it is chemically safe for the glass coating as well. Use it together with pecpad disposable tissues.
    would it work with normal lens cloth also? i have quite a few at home that's unused.

    anyway, can IPA also be used for sterilizing purposes also? e.g. clean keyboards to remove bacteria and stuff?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Is your finger very sweaty or very oily? If it is, maybe it will be gone case if you touched it. One other thing, I find the life of lenspen will be very short if left in humid conditions. This makes sense as powder will cake up if too humid and the cleaning agent is carbon powder. I find that if I put the lenspen in the dehumidifier with my other gear, it lasts very very long.
    after a while of using the lenspen i guess.

    i was using it for 3 months plus, then i touched it.. after that just spread finger oil love everywhere.

    which is why i prefer microfibre cloth.. just throw into washing machine or hand wash with soap and hang to dry.. good as new again.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    after a while of using the lenspen i guess.

    i was using it for 3 months plus, then i touched it.. after that just spread finger oil love everywhere.

    which is why i prefer microfibre cloth.. just throw into washing machine or hand wash with soap and hang to dry.. good as new again.


    i use blower, micro cloth and lens alcohol.works most of the time. last resort then use lenspen.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    I would advise not using Isopropyl alcohol from guardian to do any lens cleaning. If you can look up to the ingredients, it is only 70% which means its not pure. You might not know what is in the other 30%. I've read from articles that it might also contain a lubricant to help easing the rubbing for the skin. (Isopropyl alcohol is also called rubbing alcohol.) And that may leave marks or damage your coating. Thus, only get medical or lab grade stuff if you tend to use it for your precision equipment.

    Cheers.

    EDIT: You guys might wana check out this link:

    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...&msg_id=000lqh
    Last edited by lordpain; 19th August 2009 at 10:47 AM.

  9. #29
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by tester99 View Post
    would it work with normal lens cloth also? i have quite a few at home that's unused.

    anyway, can IPA also be used for sterilizing purposes also? e.g. clean keyboards to remove bacteria and stuff?
    I advise against lens cloth since there may be grit on it that may scratch your lens surface. For IPA, it may have some nasty reaction on certain plastics, e.g. your LCD screen. Keyboards should generally be ok but no promise.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  10. #30
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by lordpain View Post
    I would advise not using Isopropyl alcohol from guardian to do any lens cleaning. If you can look up to the ingredients, it is only 70% which means its not pure. You might not know what is in the other 30%. I've read from articles that it might also contain a lubricant to help easing the rubbing for the skin. (Isopropyl alcohol is also called rubbing alcohol.) And that may leave marks or damage your coating. Thus, only get medical or lab grade stuff if you tend to use it for your precision equipment.

    Cheers.

    EDIT: You guys might wana check out this link:

    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...&msg_id=000lqh
    Most of the 30% is water. I recommend Guardian IPA (and it is easily available) from my own experience. Used on Pecpad lens tissue, its safe and works very well for me. Leave no scratches and removes grease very well. The other option is the eclipse solution - that however contains methanol, a toxic chemical, so I stayed away from it.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by lordpain View Post
    I would advise not using Isopropyl alcohol from guardian to do any lens cleaning. If you can look up to the ingredients, it is only 70% which means its not pure. You might not know what is in the other 30%. I've read from articles that it might also contain a lubricant to help easing the rubbing for the skin. (Isopropyl alcohol is also called rubbing alcohol.) And that may leave marks or damage your coating. Thus, only get medical or lab grade stuff if you tend to use it for your precision equipment.

    Cheers.

    EDIT: You guys might wana check out this link:

    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...&msg_id=000lqh
    just briefly read through the link - must have a lot of experienced chemists there..

    anyway i already bought IPA from guardian and used it with my MF cloth le. seems okay, very clean.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by stunna88 View Post
    Hi guys, juz wanna know if it is perfectly ok to use the damped tissue (bought in any optics/spectacles stores, usually used to clean our specs) to clean our lenses?

    Thanks for ur response
    tissue paper may just help..

  13. #33
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by EOS3618 View Post
    tissue paper may just help..
    no-no for me. tissue paper may scratch the lens
    eat. drink. shoot

  14. #34

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    As a biochemist, I shall elaborate the concepts behind the solvents used...

    water is to remove salts and stuffs that are soluble in water.
    Isopropanol is more hydrophobic than ethanol due to its additional alkyl groups. In another words, better in dissolving oil and hydrophobic substances.
    methanol is toxic because it is metabolised in the body to form a toxic formaldehyde. Heavy exposure, which is 1% methanol consumption will cause moonshine, which is blindness. Chronic, of course, is death. In either case, it's not as toxic as it seems unless u're pouring it into ur eyes or drinking it. Nonetheless, u do need to note that methanol could penetrate through latex gloves and skin. So I would not advise prolonged 'hand spa' in methanol. But it is known in sci to be a good solvent for both hydrophobic and hydrophilic substances. I have read that if the multi-coated is bonded properly to the glass, it would not be removed due to the strong affinity to the glass surface.

    Cleaning the lens with these solvents will only work if u remove the solvent after dissolving the target substances. Imagine dissolving the fingerprint oil with isopropanol without removing the the isopropanol via wiping it away but instead let it evaporate. The oil will not evaporate with it but instead just precipitated and re-positioned itself on the lens. The same go for the salts. I.e, the concept is to dissolve the unwanted stuffs and remove the solutions before it evaporate or hit the saturation concentration of the unwanted stuffs. Nightmare's finger oil is already dissolved in the lens pen and thus each time he used it -> his finger oil will deposit at the surface after the alcohol evaporate.

    The order of cleaning should be water first and then organic solvents (not beyond isopropanol. Some people said acetone is ok and some don't. Acetone is def a stronger solvent. But since isopropanol is good enough for normal oil and u're not removing paint. I'll just stick to isopropanol). The reason in using water first is because some salt crystals are harder than glass and that might scratch the glass. Imagine organic solvent first, which the salt would not dissolve or poorly in isopropanol, and u're doing the body massage on the lens with the salt. Not a very wise choice.

    So...there u go~ I hope it clear any doubts since I have explain the sci behind it.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Cleaning our precious lenses...

    Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    no-no for me. tissue paper may scratch the lens
    as long the tissues do not contain any hard particles, it is unlikely that the tissue is likely to scratch the lens or its coating. From what I read, the coating technology these days allow the coating to have the same hardness as the glass. However, u'll have to be very careful with lenses that are made from the 60s or earlier, as their coating technology is of course outdated and thus it's softer than glass. I'm unsure about how much softer is it but I do know glass are pretty hard.

    For those who do not know about hardness, please check on wikipedia. It's good to know and u'll know why u should not mess around with the insides of the cam, such as screen and sensor.
    Last edited by Fallenphoenix; 18th December 2009 at 08:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •