Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lekech View Post
    ...Furthermore, its quite windy up there, so I suspect a tripod might not be as useful as a pair of steady hands on firm support (the wall).
    ...
    If it's windy, wouldn't a human have a hard time holding steady as compared to an inanimate object like a tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Discoecstasy View Post
    ...I don't think you need a tripod if you are shooting in the day, unless you are doing long exposures. Then again, why would u do long exposures at the Great Wall?...
    Like what Andrew said, try to think out of the box. Also, tripods come in useful for multiple exposure work (like say a 7-stop HDR image).

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Actually, if you bring a smaller tripod up, like one of those 1.5-1.6m aluminium ones. It is not all that heavy. The key is to have a good bag (backpack is the best) for all your gear, and the ability to mount your tripod on the bag. Something like a Primus or flipside would be awesome. You will need your hands for the climb so keeping them free and all your stuff firmly secured to your body is key. Remember to bring water too.

    The normal touristy Great Wall site is Ba Da Ling (八大岭). On a good day there will be many tourists there. You are going end of Apr, and it means it will be during the Labor day holiday season. The place will be super packed. I would suggest you go to Simatai (司马台), just like the other brother suggested, which is not touristy. Please bear in mind simatai is not really maintained and most parts are not engineered for tourist safety. Most trekkers like to go there. Certain areas are extremely steep and dangerous and some hikers actually fell to their deaths there at a very steep spot. If you go to Simatai, please use common sense, and do not take risks. Walk firmly, take your time and stay safe. There are no life guards or rangers there. It is totally deserted except for other fellow hikers. And you have to hike a good several hours to see the best spots. However, risk and work comes withgreat reward. The view is amazing as you see steep cliffs, broken walls, all without annoying tourists walking around.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Hi! Here is a link I found with some fantastic clouds. With stills and moving one. Imagine that with the Great wall. :-}

    http://www.pbase.com/sadie04/clouds_and_storms&page=all

    http://www.pbase.com/gilazouri/china

    Imagine and Create. :-}
    Wow, will try but dun think can create this with my current skill level.

  4. #24
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    A tripod will be useful for shooting HDR and panorama, if you're fit enough to carry it.

  5. #25
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Hi! Here is a link I found with some fantastic clouds. With stills and moving one. Imagine that with the Great wall. :-}

    http://www.pbase.com/sadie04/clouds_and_storms&page=all

    http://www.pbase.com/gilazouri/china

    Imagine and Create. :-}
    hahaha.... sometimes cannot just use imagination. some locations have different climate and weather, and hence will not be the same or significantly much much rarer.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually, if you bring a smaller tripod up, like one of those 1.5-1.6m aluminium ones. It is not all that heavy. The key is to have a good bag (backpack is the best) for all your gear, and the ability to mount your tripod on the bag. Something like a Primus or flipside would be awesome. You will need your hands for the climb so keeping them free and all your stuff firmly secured to your body is key. Remember to bring water too.

    The normal touristy Great Wall site is Ba Da Ling (八大岭). On a good day there will be many tourists there. You are going end of Apr, and it means it will be during the Labor day holiday season. The place will be super packed. I would suggest you go to Simatai (司马台), just like the other brother suggested, which is not touristy. Please bear in mind simatai is not really maintained and most parts are not engineered for tourist safety. Most trekkers like to go there. Certain areas are extremely steep and dangerous and some hikers actually fell to their deaths there at a very steep spot. If you go to Simatai, please use common sense, and do not take risks. Walk firmly, take your time and stay safe. There are no life guards or rangers there. It is totally deserted except for other fellow hikers. And you have to hike a good several hours to see the best spots. However, risk and work comes withgreat reward. The view is amazing as you see steep cliffs, broken walls, all without annoying tourists walking around.
    And if you are at Badaling, do resist the temptation to jump down to the ground... or get blown off or fall off the Great Wall there unless you want to end up like this guy... as dinner for the tigers.
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_393545.htm

  7. #27

    Default Re: Beijing 2009 - Need tripod for Great Wall? Kind of lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    hahaha.... sometimes cannot just use imagination. some locations have different climate and weather, and hence will not be the same or significantly much much rarer.
    Absolutely agree. Time of the day and season are important. Sometimes... just have to come back again... Sometimes.. may just hit the GOLD! What is most unbearable is that when the Gold is there.. we do not bring the 'Tools' to dig it. AI WAN!!! else ... just make the best of the shoot. :-}

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Andrew Ng; 23rd April 2009 at 07:34 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •