Thread: Checklist to go thru before shoot?

Default Checklist to go thru before shoot?

Hi guys,

Just want to check if there is a checklist (mental or physical) that you guys go thru when you take your camera out and before shooting?

The reason I ask if I am often too eager to start snapping whenever I take my camera out and sometimes I miss the shot as my settings were not appropriate.

Do you guys do like - File Size check, ISO check, IS check (someone told me better to turn off when I off my camera and I often forgot to on it when I next shoot), etc?

Default Re: Checklist to go thru before shoot?

I normally preset it for the scene first.

When I walk around, I keep the camera pre-set to the scene. Check on all parameters which may affect the picture. ISO, Aperture, range of shutter speed, etc...

And if you're shooting for a job, it's always a good idea to go thru all the settings once before you start to ensure you didn't miss anything out. Like the ISO which was set on 1600 for night shooting the night before....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I normally set whatever settings back to the "default" that I normally use if I changed them for specific needs (exposure compensation, metering mode, etc). For settings that need prolong usage, e.g. ISO/saturation/film mode, I would reset it back to default at the end of the shoot, and recheck before the next shoot. Also made it a habit to glance through the stuffs in the viewfinder before taking the shot, e.g. focusing point, aperture setting, shutter speed to make sure it is adequate for current shot & good enough wrt 1/focal length rule, focus lock "dot", etc.
    Last edited by ziploc; 20th April 2009 at 01:25 PM.

if you're new to dslr, the only way is to shoot more and learn to optimize your mental state from experience.

the subconsious list from most experienced shooters go like this:
    most adjustments are to be done before you even lift the viewfinder to your eyes!
    1) continually adjust camera settings according to surrounding changes (eg. when clouds come, finger automatically shift shutter to slow speed)
    2) when you spot a moving target you want to capture, fingers up the shutter speed and open the aperture, or even up the ISO if needed. your brain should be monitoring your camera settings all the time.
    3) when shutter speed is too low, check if IS or VR is on
    4) do fine tuning when you're doing focussing and composition thru the viewfinder
    5) snap.

i shoot mainly raw so whitebalance is set to auto most of the time unless it's an assignment.
    sigh.

Thanks for the tips... guess i need to change my mindset from a PnS and be more aware of what I want my end frame to be, and to take time to do my settings...

Quote Originally Posted by diiva View Post
    The reason I ask if I am often too eager to start snapping whenever I take my camera out and sometimes I miss the shot as my settings were not appropriate.
    Your rate of 'keepers' will be higher if you slow down and think before you shoot. If you just want to snap get a PnS. If you want to take a picture (or as others have said "make a picture") you will need a bit more time. Ask a couple of questions like "Why do I want to take this picture?" and "What exactly do I want to show?" - The answers will guide you already to the right settings. Think a bit ahead, imagine what settings would be necessary to achieve your target.

1. battery? checked
    2. spare battery? checked
    3. memory card inserted? checked
    turn on camera.
    4. Memory card empty? checked (you dont want to be in position to decide if to delete old stuff which you have not download while on photoshoot)
    5. battery level ok? checked
    turn off
    insert spare battery, insert spare memory card
    turn on
    6. Spare memory card empty? checked
    7. spare battery level ok? checked
    turn on info if not on yet.
    8. correct ISO? checked
    9. correct mode? checked
    10. correct while balance? checked
    11. correct lense for the shoot? checked (if not replace)
    12. safe pic as raw? checked

13. lense cloth
    14. anti-static brush
    have u seen the "light" yet?

15. Right lenses for the scenes I will be expecting to shoot
    16. Lenses cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    1. battery? checked
    turn on camera.
    5. battery level ok? low? no! whack face
    turn off
    insert spare battery
    7. spare battery level ok? low? no! whack face
    Ever happen to me once.
    Even more LOL I ever come without a battery

When shooting make sure lens cap is removed. Keep a mental expectation of the scenes that you're going to be taking whether if its a nightshoot, portrait, day, etc so you can plan the right ISO/A etc on your head, and bring the lens accordingly.