Thread: Hi ... newbie wanna buy DLSR

Default Hi ... newbie wanna buy DLSR

Hello everyone , i am new here.

Wanted to get myself a new DLSR, thinking of Nikon D90... went to the shop last week.

The Boss strongly recommended Canon 40D, as he said price for both camera body quite close, but Canon 40D has better body built and faster shutter speed.

I found that it is quite heavy , when mounted to Canon 18-200 IS, not sure if it is practical to walk ard, as i m a lady. I am attracted to it's features...

Nikon D90 with kit lens doens't feel so bulky and heavy, but have the plastic type of feeling...

Aiyo... i can't decide now. Anyone can advise? Will appreciate it.

Thank you

Default Re: Hi ... newbie wanna buy DLSR

obviously you do not know what you in the first place.........

why do you want a DSLR..?

Next...yes the two cameras a different class.....

40d is a semi pro level with faster max shutter speed and faster frames per sec (though not tt much...)

the body itself is also of different built...and this is cause both bodies are meant for different purposes...

since u said u are a lady, and the 40d is too heavy for you, then why are u considering it??just because the salesman tells u this has better specs then u wan it..?? on the other hand D90 can take video tt 40D cant fyi..

No use getting something tt other ppl say is superior..but u end up not using it cause its too heavy for u to carry around / too bulky / etc...

THINK...what u wan to use it for...then decide from there.....

and before u make a mistake when u buy, please stick to the normal recommended shops when buying your gear..

eg. TK Foto / Alan Photo / MS Color / Cathay photo / John 3:16

Else dun go and buy somewhere else, realise u been ripped off and then regret
    Nikonian!
    ~Jon's~

CoolWood, welcome to CS.

I am also thinking of getting my first DSLR but am not buying anything without my friends tagging along.

Tanjonhan, thanks for the shop recommendations. I was at Harvey Norman yesterday just to check out the prices.

Since you have tested the cam bodies already. Which camera do you feel comfortable and good when you are holding it? If you just hastily choose a recommended option, slowly you would just get sick of it.

Have you tried out the User interface too, thats a point to take note when buying a DSLR too not just the ergonomics.

Plan ahead, upgrading options, budget to upgrade, extra stuffs(batt grip, batts, flash), range & type of lens for that system & budget allocated to buy extra stuffs (dry-cabi, PP software or cam bag)

Which flash system appeals to you?

Also read reviews and view pictures of fellow CSers using different system here to find out the Pros & Cons for individual brand.

BTW! Pearlang, its advisable to get it from the shops tanjonhan recommended, don't bite the dust!

Thats how i made my choice. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by saveDqueen; 19th April 2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

Hi CoolWood, i would recommend that you read more on each camera before deciding which one to buy.

Maybe get a friend who is familiar with DSLR to go with you will be good. At least your friend can advise you.

I personally think that when you first buy the camera, just get the camera with the lense you need. Other accessories can come later, with the camera you can try and get a feel and then decide what type of photo you want to shoot.

Gd luck!

Hi, I'm looking to pick up my first DSLR too. Was considering the D90 but shop recommended the 450D instead. After researching a bit more, noticed the 40D is quite close in pricing and packed with semi-pro features, although slightly last-gen.

Any advice if the D90 pricing will dip after the D5000 and 500D are available shortly?

i think for a lady user, Canon 450D or 100D will be good. Quite light and it does wonders sometimes. Lens, i think 18-55mm will do good. If not, pair it up with 55-250mm for longer range.
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

Hello...welcome.

I have a lady friend who uses the 40D too but it's up to individual preference.

If you want a smaller and lighter cam, you can check out Olympus or the Panasonic G1.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlang View Post
    CoolWood, welcome to CS.

I am also thinking of getting my first DSLR but am not buying anything without my friends tagging along.

Tanjonhan, thanks for the shop recommendations. I was at Harvey Norman yesterday just to check out the prices.
    Harvey? Other than the one at Funan, you can forget about the rest. Better to shop at reputable shops with a piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolWood View Post

Wanted to get myself a new DLSR, thinking of Nikon D90... went to the shop last week.

The Boss strongly recommended Canon 40D, as he said price for both camera body quite close, but Canon 40D has better body built and faster shutter speed.

I found that it is quite heavy , when mounted to Canon 18-200 IS, not sure if it is practical to walk ard, as i m a lady. I am attracted to it's features...

Nikon D90 with kit lens doens't feel so bulky and heavy, but have the plastic type of feeling...

Thank you

Hi,

The D90 is quite a good camera, quite configurable and is not slow at 4.5fps.

I find it fits well in my hand and with a decent lens can produce great photo's.

The movie function is simply there if you might want to use it, but I don't.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolWood View Post

Thank you

it's good to see that you actually went and tried the cameras. if you aren't comfortable with your camera, you won't be inclined to take it out to shoot.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys