Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deciding for telephoto lens f2.8 or f4

Default Re: Deciding for telephoto lens f2.8 or f4

Hi,

Suppose if i use a 70~200mm f2.8L lens, what will be the maximum distance it can reach in terms of metres? I presume a similar 70~200mm f4 lens will have the same distance exept the quality.

How much more amplification (in metres) can i achieve with a teleconverter with 1.4x and 2x?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MachIII View Post
    Hi,

Suppose if i use a 70~200mm f2.8L lens, what will be the maximum distance it can reach in terms of metres? I presume a similar 70~200mm f4 lens will have the same distance exept the quality.

How much more amplification (in metres) can i achieve with a teleconverter with 1.4x and 2x?

Thank you.
    I don't understand how you would calculate "reach" in meters. You can use a 200mm lens to shoot something 1m away, or 10m away.

vince123123
    Guests

If I were you, I'll go straight for the F2.8 otherwise you will forever get the nagging bug to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by mmjia View Post
    Experts and Users,

Was able to read some review on this two lens
    70-200mm f4 IS and 70-200 f2.8 IS now i need more confirmation which one is best to buy!

Can you provide me some feedback which one is really better?

All same purpose to use

Thanks for your feedbacks

Regards,
    mmjia

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I don't understand how you would calculate "reach" in meters. You can use a 200mm lens to shoot something 1m away, or 10m away.
    Sorry for not making clear.

What i meant is the maximum zoom in terms of distance (metres) like? I am targeting this range as my next L lens but these lens are not available for test. My main concern is when i buy this lens for landscape or indoor shoot, it cannot achieve my desired distance especially for the heavy damage.

An example is a fashion show runway at approx 15 meters away, can the max zoom in 70~200mm reach the model at half waist frame? How about if i add a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter?

Sorry about the question as i am still a newbie.

Thank you.

What i meant is the maximum zoom in terms of distance (metres) like? I am targeting this range as my next L lens but these lens are not available for test. My main concern is when i buy this lens for landscape or indoor shoot, it cannot achieve my desired distance especially for the heavy damage.

An example is a fashion show runway at approx 15 meters away, can the max zoom in 70~200mm reach the model at half waist frame? How about if i add a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter?

Thank you.
    It's really tough to tell you like that. You may want to test the lenses (yes they are available for testing) through rental. Pay a small fee for a few days of usage and you'll know if it's right for you.

You can rent from Desmond. His prices, I daresay, are the best.

Thank you.

Yes. You can.

Quote Originally Posted by mmjia View Post
    Experts and Users,

Was able to read some review on this two lens
    70-200mm f4 IS and 70-200 f2.8 IS now i need more confirmation which one is best to buy!

Can you provide me some feedback which one is really better?

All same purpose to use

Thanks for your feedbacks

Regards,
    mmjia

well. 70-200mm f2.8L is BETTER
    why?
    it can do everything 70-200mm f4 and better
    the major difference between the two is the maximum aperture.
    1. f2.8 is great for low light
    2. f2.8 is great for bokeh
    3. f2.8 is heavier
    4. f2.8 is more expensive

so should u go for the f2.8 one shot?
    YES! DUH!!
    trust me, if you get the f4
    your heart will be longing for the f2.8
    and then...
    you decide to upgrade to f2.8
    and what happens to the f4?
    either sleep in digicabi or sell off lor.
    why all the hassle?

so u should get the f4 if u really really sure you won't need the wider aperture.
    Last edited by rajahchindian; 22nd April 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: bad english
    EOS 7D | EOS 50D | EF50f/1.4 | Flickr | www.krjefferson.com

hi everyone! i think its right to test these two lenses, as of today i had tested the f4 is at singapore zoo. Daylight exposure, which means i think its not enough yet to compare specially havent tried any indoor shots yest. So far its really sharp!
    had tested 2.8 already in lowight and i think some of the experts in this thread are right! eventually in really depends on the users
    considirations are price and weight but for 2.8 the edge is there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123