Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deciding for telephoto lens f2.8 or f4

Default Re: Deciding for telephoto lens f2.8 or f4

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    think abt bring the 70-200 F2.8 IS + a few more lenses and accessories...

rite now even I bring my F4 around...it also killin me liao..
    the 70-200 f4 (760g) is only slightly heavier than 24-105 (670g) or 17-55 (645g)... i lug both of them around together with other stuff and i have no problems.

the f2.8 version is 2 times the weight (1470g).

in fact, i borrowed the f4 last saturday and i barely felt the heft that much as compared to the f2.8 (which another friend was using).

only consideration is if the bokeh is worth the 2 times weight, if not the price even.

i think its a good idea to try these two lenses

Hi all,

First of all, i would like to apologise to mmjia for highjacking this thread. As i do not want to create another thread since valuable feedback can be centralize in one thread.

Can i say that the use of f2.8 and f4 are mainly due to light conditions? Canon 70-200mm comes with 2 apetures. I would like to take landscapes of scenary and objects in nature, can i say f4 is more appropriate since most of the time ample light are available?

How about indoor photography since little/poor light conditions exists? What will happen?

Sorry mmjia once again.

Thank you very much to all.

Quote Originally Posted by MachIII View Post
    Hi all,

First of all, i would like to apologise to mmjia for highjacking this thread. As i do not want to create another thread since valuable feedback can be centralize in one thread.

Can i say that the use of f2.8 and f4 are mainly due to light conditions? Canon 70-200mm comes with 2 apetures. I would like to take landscapes of scenary and objects in nature, can i say f4 is more appropriate since most of the time ample light are available?

How about indoor photography since little/poor light conditions exists? What will happen?

Sorry mmjia once again.

Thank you very much to all.
    If you are going to do landscape photography, you're gonna have to stop down to f8 or f11 or something.

For indoor event photography, you may need to use a flash.

For concerts, you may not be able to use flash, so if you are further away from the stage, the best would be a fast prime telephoto lens (f2.8, f1.8, etc). If you are nearer to the stage, if you have a f4 telephoto, I think it should be OK.

My 5c worth.

Hi Mach III,
    no problem its free for all comments everyobody is learning and sharing.Im glad to have a good responses to everyone which open to share.

Mach III, its seems though that f 2.8 can cover all the aspect that we want/ i want. its a complete package? The only thing is that its heavy and expensive?$1000 difference
    what do you think guys?

i will test a f4 this weekend and compare with f 2.8 to address my concern
    i had test the f2.8 already! Bokeh superb low light very good!

incase i wont be satisfied with the f4..hmmm it will be posted in the clubsnap ill update you machIII...

Quote Originally Posted by mmjia View Post
    Experts and Users,

Was able to read some review on this two lens
    70-200mm f4 IS and 70-200 f2.8 IS now i need more confirmation which one is best to buy!

Can you provide me some feedback which one is really better?

All same purpose to use

Thanks for your feedbacks

Regards,
    mmjia
    buy 70-200 IS f/2.8......easy, so no need to upgrade in the future
    ubans.com

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    For concerts, you may not be able to use flash, so if you are further away from the stage, the best would be a fast prime telephoto lens (f2.8, f1.8, etc). If you are nearer to the stage, if you have a f4 telephoto, I think it should be OK.
    Why would distance from stage affect whether you use a f/2.8 or f/4 lens? The lighting on stage doesn't change regardless of distance.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Why would distance from stage affect whether you use a f/2.8 or f/4 lens? The lighting on stage doesn't change regardless of distance.
    But the aperture does. So if he's using a f/2.8 and its too dark, he can go to f/2.8. If he's using an f/4, he can suck thumb.

Light actually degrades with distance

*rolleyes*

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    But the aperture does. So if he's using a f/2.8 and its too dark, he can go to f/2.8. If he's using an f/4, he can suck thumb.
    My reasoning too. With a f/2.8 lens you can always stop down, but you can't open up wider than f/4 if you need with a f/4 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Light actually degrades with distance
    Agreed, but by how much? Not significantly if you are shooting in most concert venues in Singapore. It's not like you're going to lose a stop with 15 meters of distance difference.

*rolleyes*
    Maybe since you're so smart, instead of using eye power, explain your reasoning to us. This is a public forum. Surely we can discuss without the need for eye rolling or other smart gestures.
    Last edited by calebk; 22nd April 2009 at 04:50 AM.

My reasoning too. With a f/2.8 lens you can always stop down, but you can't open up wider than f/4 if you need with a f/4 lens.

Agreed, but by how much? Not significantly if you are shooting in most concert venues in Singapore. It's not like you're going to lose a stop with 15 meters of distance difference.

Maybe since you're so smart, instead of using eye power, explain your reasoning to us. This is a public forum. Surely we can discuss without the need for eye rolling or other smart gestures.
    I can understand andre's irritation cause you're basically saying the same thing as what he did and yet you're saying that his point isn't valid.

If you understood his post correctly, what he meant is, if you're shooting from a distance from the stage, your flash would be pretty useless as the light from the flash would not be able to reach the stage (significantly).

For concerts, you may not be able to use flash, so if you are further away from the stage,
    hence it would be better if you have an f/2.8.

the best would be a fast prime telephoto lens (f2.8, f1.8, etc).

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lens+speed

Do pardon my dear friend calebk. He has this way of speaking that irritates the hell out of most people. I used to be like you, and wasn't able to take his sharp tongue and blunt way of speaking (funny how sharp and blunt can mean the same thing, eh?).

I've discovered a pretty good way of dealing with this: Ignore him.

This way, both parties are happy, you know you're right, and he thinks that he's right. Everyone's a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    Do pardon my dear friend calebk. He has this way of speaking that irritates the hell out of most people. I used to be like you, and wasn't able to take his sharp tongue and blunt way of speaking (funny how sharp and blunt can mean the same thing, eh?).

I've discovered a pretty good way of dealing with this: Ignore him.

This way, both parties are happy, you know you're right, and he thinks that he's right. Everyone's a winner!
    No worries. Everyone learns new things.

Quote Originally Posted by mmjia View Post
    Hi Mach III,
    no problem its free for all comments everyobody is learning and sharing.Im glad to have a good responses to everyone which open to share.

Mach III, its seems though that f 2.8 can cover all the aspect that we want/ i want. its a complete package? The only thing is that its heavy and expensive?$1000 difference
    what do you think guys?

i will test a f4 this weekend and compare with f 2.8 to address my concern
    i had test the f2.8 already! Bokeh superb low light very good!

incase i wont be satisfied with the f4..hmmm it will be posted in the clubsnap ill update you machIII...
    Hi mmjia,

Thank you so much. That is the value which makes a forum stand out. It certainly saves the mass lots of effort as personal opinion really contributes.

Reading from review sites does help but manhandle the tools brings us to a more decisive level before commiting.

Thanks once again. :

Hi all, this thread is interesting. I am saving up some cash to get either 70-200mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F4 IS.
    I tried my friends' F4 IS last weekend to shoot music event at theatre on the bay. so...

The great thing about IS, i can still shoot at quite low speed. 1/40 and 1/50 i can say almost 100% sharp. For 1/30 is like 70% sharp. Below that is like 30%. I was using 40D + Grip without a monpod and was shooting for like 2.5hours. And still going strong, so F4 is really really light.

My cam setting is : ISO1000 F4, stop down by 1. My 40D metering shows a speed of average 1/40. at Av mode.

Does this mean if i use F2.8, i will get double average speed ? Let say 1/125 or something ? Coz, if this works like this. I would prefer to go for F2.8. Since, it will give me better bokeh and of course converter thingy.

Regarding sharpness. Not sure, everyone says different things. Can i save the trouble by calibrate my lens with my cam so at least it will give me the sharpest possible setting ?

Just my 2cents and thanks for sharing ! Really appreaciate all your help =D

Quote Originally Posted by dimashp View Post
    Hi all, this thread is interesting. I am saving up some cash to get either 70-200mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F4 IS.
    I tried my friends' F4 IS last weekend to shoot music event at theatre on the bay. so...

The great thing about IS, i can still shoot at quite low speed. 1/40 and 1/50 i can say almost 100% sharp. For 1/30 is like 70% sharp. Below that is like 30%. I was using 40D + Grip without a monpod and was shooting for like 2.5hours. And still going strong, so F4 is really really light.

My cam setting is : ISO1000 F4, stop down by 1. My 40D metering shows a speed of average 1/40. at Av mode.

Does this mean if i use F2.8, i will get double average speed ? Let say 1/125 or something ? Coz, if this works like this. I would prefer to go for F2.8. Since, it will give me better bokeh and of course converter thingy.

Regarding sharpness. Not sure, everyone says different things. Can i save the trouble by calibrate my lens with my cam so at least it will give me the sharpest possible setting ?

Just my 2cents and thanks for sharing ! Really appreaciate all your help =D
    F/2.8 will give you twice the shutter speed you're getting at f/4, because they are one stop apart. Every stop difference is twice/half the amount of light. Do take note that while IS allows you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, it does not mean the subjects you are shooting will also slow down for you. This is why many concert/low light shooters would prefer getting a lens with larger aperture to freeze motion.

Also, like what thengz said earlier, do consider that if you purchase a f/2.8 lens, f/2.8 is always readily available for you, and you can still stop down accordingly; You can't open up your f/4 lens' aperture to f/2.8 if you wanted to, so that's something else to consider.

What do you mean by the f/2.8 having some "converter thingy"?

Calibration wise, calibration is not the tweaking of a lens' sharpness directly. It is actually tweaking your lens' focus accuracy, so calibration is only necessary when your lens does not focus accurately. You cannot calibrate a lens that is focusing accurately but is soft.

hi caleb,

thanks for your info. i mean that i can user converter (at the same time maintaining my aperture to be low) for 2.8 in case i need much longer range.

and about the calibration, thanks a lot. i just know that =)

so, from all these conversation. i think F2.8 non IS is a clear winner for low light/concert shooting ? disregarding its weight and all.

and, are there anyone who have used both lenses extensively. to give a better comparison of sharpness probably for F4 ?

thanks all =)

Quote Originally Posted by dimashp View Post
    hi caleb,

thanks for your info. i mean that i can user converter (at the same time maintaining my aperture to be low) for 2.8 in case i need much longer range.

and about the calibration, thanks a lot. i just know that =)

so, from all these conversation. i think F2.8 non IS is a clear winner for low light/concert shooting ? disregarding its weight and all.

and, are there anyone who have used both lenses extensively. to give a better comparison of sharpness probably for F4 ?

thanks all =)
    If you use a teleconvertor, your aperture will be affected respectively. A 1.4x TC will set you back by one stop, and a 2x convertor will set you back two stops.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast