Thread: Cool Portraiture

Default Cool Portraiture

How da hell did he do this?

Someone shed some light.... *pun intended*

Thanks

Just use a small torch and write your name in the air with a long enough exposure. Of course you have to keep your body as still as possible also.

Very cool, making use of long exposure to write his name??

cheers

Looks to be a double exposure. The first in pitch black with someone tracing the word.

Next with the side lighting and the person standing still.

Either that or it has been PSed?

couldn't have been PSed cos i've seen the same printout on film by other artistes who've done the same too.... but i think Zerstorer comes closest in this one... it didn't even occur to me to be a double exposure.

It has to be a double exposure, coz I've done this kind of trick before and it is impossible for the person tracing the word to remain sharp as you need to move your hands in a very wide arc. The fact that even his hand was visible was a vital clue, normally with this "trick" only the body would be visible and the hand tracing the word should be invisible as it is never in any spot long enough to register.

perhaps he did it facing a mirror tracing the words that's been lip-sticked on the mirror? if not i really cannot comprehend how, for the start of the 2nd exposure, his torch light started at the peak of the "U"!!! that's like dramatic man!

Zerstorer.. you say you've done this before.. so care to share with us the run-down of the set up and equipment for the shot? thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by JermsDayOut
    perhaps he did it facing a mirror tracing the words that's been lip-sticked on the mirror? if not i really cannot comprehend how, for the start of the 2nd exposure, his torch light started at the peak of the "U"!!! that's like dramatic man!
    That's what I'm wondering also. Maybe he did 2 separate shots and use PS to superimpose them.
    Last edited by Newman; 4th November 2003 at 11:19 PM.

All you need is a camera on tripod and someone who can "write" precisely in the air with a torch.

The double exposure can be manually done(tricky) or it could be 2 separate shots combined in photoshop.

Here's a shot that was handheld:

About 4 secs exposure.

For the shot you posted, it should probably be only 2 secs or so as there is only 1 person involved. The bright peak is simply due to the fact that he slowed down at that point.

Your shot looks like a single long exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Your shot looks like a single long exposure.
    It is. That's the difference. For the posted shot, his hand is visible which hints that it can't be a single exposure.

may be long exposure to write the word in pitch dark situation and a side flast in the end or begining to capture the body?

Use laser also can...
    My friend wrote his name on the wall on the stage while I'm on long exposure...
    Hahaha... should see the final pic man... MC *blur*.

I've seen other variations of this photo. One very nice is with Pablo Picasso drawing a devil in the air.

Now with technology you can use different options. However, it was done this way:

You start with long exposure in complete darkness, using some light to draw in the air. At the end of the exposure the subject stands still watching the camera while the flash shoots.

i think hes playing with light.. and use a longer exposure... tts all...

i believe this photo is a composite of two images.

This picture can be shot in one frame (no double exposure or composite photos etc...) have your subject in complete darkness with the pen-torch, open the shutter and have him start to write his name (backwards). At some point while the shutter is open, manually fire the flash on him. He will appear highlighted at one instant of time and his writing will be in front of him. Better to use the bulb so that as soon as he has finished, close the shutter.

BTW he did not start his writing in the tip of the u. He just hesitated a while during the writing and that part ended up receiving more light than the rest.

Nobody think of slow sync? Flash that guy to freeze him and long exposure for the torch.....