Thread: Water sculptures

Default Water sculptures

Hi all, decided to have a try with shooting water sculptures with water droplets. MUCH harder than i thought! As an experimental attempt, please give C&C with regards to lighting and composition.

1) I used a water bottle with a hole punched through the cap, realized that mite have made the drops to be too big and the ripples too messy any idea on how to get better controlled droplets?

2) would using a large dish instead of a small glass be better? i tot adding the glass in the frame was nice to give some perspective, not sure if it works well

3) and if the shots even work for you, a vote for which shot works best would be good =D

Rest of the pics can be found in my flickr set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4774905...7616816158318/

Thanks all in advance =D
    Last edited by mlcy85; 19th April 2009 at 02:40 AM.

Default Re: Water sculptures

#3 is nice, however I think #4 gets my vote as it crops right into the subject (rebounding water)

Actually, all are nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RyuHendrabusa View Post
    #3 is nice, however I think #4 gets my vote as it crops right into the subject (rebounding water)

Actually, all are nice!
    haha thanks for comments =D altho i dun quite like #4 coz the ripples are messy and cropped off, will try to improve in 2nd try

I actually think they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Photos View Post
    I actually think they are good.
    hey thanks =D

Nice ! Good try

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    Nice ! Good try
    hey thanks =D

Nice Pics. May i know which lens and what setup did you use to take these shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Learner86 View Post
    Nice Pics. May i know which lens and what setup did you use to take these shots?
    hi, for setup i used 2 wireless flashes, and shot at shutter speed 1/250 and a very small aperture, mostly f/20 depending on the flash power i used. pre-focused normally at the spot where i'm expecting the water droplet to hit, but realized damn hard coz water keep falling wrong direction -_-" altho the small aperture means i got very wide depth of field so still managed to get relatively focused shots

lens was canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, with EOS 40D =D altho any lens which can focus close enough would do

Thanks Mate. Nice learning for me.

I like #2! It fits your 'water sculpture' theme 'cos the droplets seem to form a man/woman on the water surface, like a sculpture. I also like #4 just because of the closer focus on the water surface and cropping such that there is less of the glass..

Hi mlcy85,

All of the photo's are good, (I would be happy with the resluts).

Please continue to experiment and post your results

Will you try dropping colour such as ink into the clear water or visa-versa at any time

Maybe (with a bigger glass) dropping a cube of ice ?

Enjoyed your photo's,

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Learner86 View Post
    Thanks Mate. Nice learning for me.
    my pleasure =D

Quote Originally Posted by Inspir3d View Post
    I like #2! It fits your 'water sculpture' theme 'cos the droplets seem to form a man/woman on the water surface, like a sculpture. I also like #4 just because of the closer focus on the water surface and cropping such that there is less of the glass..
    haha thanks! altho i'm very unsatisfied with my composition, prefer not to see the glass at all, and ripples too messy. hope can get better results next time =D

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi mlcy85,

All of the photo's are good, (I would be happy with the resluts).

Please continue to experiment and post your results

Will you try dropping colour such as ink into the clear water or visa-versa at any time

Maybe (with a bigger glass) dropping a cube of ice ?

Enjoyed your photo's,

Cheers
    thanks! yeah tot of dropping diff coloured liquids and as u said ice cubes as well, will definitely post again when i do that. but it's tekong enlistment for me tomorrow so next month then can try =( thanks for the encouragement and suggestions too

No.2 is my choice.

clear water is easier to handle than coloured or ink, as one drop into...means a reset/replacement up of clear water.
    ice cube means requiring a larger shooting space,to shoot and to get wet.

once read a Hasselblad article, a lady photographer was experimenting with glassware shattered by bullets...can imagine how much preparation works goes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    No.2 is my choice.

clear water is easier to handle than coloured or ink, as one drop into...means a reset/replacement up of clear water.
    ice cube means requiring a larger shooting space,to shoot and to get wet.

once read a Hasselblad article, a lady photographer was experimenting with glassware shattered by bullets...can imagine how much preparation works goes into it.
    thanks for voting and the advice! will take that into consideration on my next attempt =D

wah how the hasselblad lady get a u gun in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by mlcy85 View Post
    thanks for voting and the advice! will take that into consideration on my next attempt =D

wah how the hasselblad lady get a u gun in the first place
    They/She done it in Swiss, her homeland I suppose, might have a different standard.

Actually I'd two proposal...

#1 dropping little fishes into the aquarium...catch them in midair or when touching the water, technique it's the same as you'd used, only subject got life...hmmm some might complain it's cruelty....u think about it. ( I think, eating chicken rice, pork chop or beef steak also the same..here at least the fish don't die. )

#2 drop small little tomatoes instead...safer here, technique same...no complain but added colour.

cheers