Thread: HammerHead Flash

Default HammerHead Flash

Hi there ,

Any one using a hammerhead type of flash ?
    Either a Metz or a Sunpak ?
    I want to find out if the "510V Battery Pack" is actually 510 volts DC?

I thought of DIY a battery pack , but where to find such a high voltage battery ?

Rgs

Default Re: HammerHead Flash

Hi,i used to use a unique hammerhead-like flash unit wif swivel, bounce, slave function & guide no. of 44 & it only uses aa batteries.

Hello tomatocat ,

The Sunpak Manual mentions a ""510V Battery Pack"" that can be connected to the flash that I have .
    At the same time , Quantum has a couple of High Voltage Battery Packs that can be used on flashes from Sunpak and Metz , and maybe others as well .
    There is also a seller in the Buy-n-Sell offering a Metz 45 with TWO battery packs .

I just wonder if it is cheaper to DIY them , rather than rely on AA batteries .

Anybody out there can throw some light on this ?

Rgs

used to own a metz 60 CT4, and the battery pack is only 6V

It might be helpful if you named the actual flash model.

IIRC, the High Voltage battery pack is only either 9 or 6V, but it stepped up to very high voltage, so enable to go directly into the capacitor of the flash, hence the recycle time is much shorter the other type of battery pack.

so far I have not heard anyone try to do DIY High Voltage battery pack, it maybe too complicated or too risky.

and Metz CT 60 is using their own power pack, never heard of any third party ever make a power pack to be use on Metz 60, however, Metz CT 45 can use Qumtum 9V battery pack and the Turbo battery pack.

anyway, you can't find a 9V SLA battery and a 9V charger in local, but you can buy them online.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by worker bee View Post
    Hi there ,

Any one using a hammerhead type of flash ?
    Either a Metz or a Sunpak ?
    I want to find out if the "510V Battery Pack" is actually 510 volts DC?

I thought of DIY a battery pack , but where to find such a high voltage battery ?

Rgs

even our standard power socket is around 230V...wonder where can you find a 510V battery...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    IIRC, the High Voltage battery pack is only either 9 or 6V, but it stepped up to very high voltage, so enable to go directly into the capacitor of the flash, hence the recycle time is much shorter the other type of battery pack.

so far I have not heard anyone try to do DIY High Voltage battery pack, it maybe too complicated or too risky.

and Metz CT 60 is using their own power pack, never heard of any third party ever make a power pack to be use on Metz 60, however, Metz CT 45 can use Qumtum 9V battery pack and the Turbo battery pack.

anyway, you can't find a 9V SLA battery and a 9V charger in local, but you can buy them online.

OMMMMM CATCHLIGHTS, OMMMMMMMM CATCHLIGHTS, OMMMMmmmmmm .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    It might be helpful if you named the actual flash model.
    Actually I just bought an old Sunpak 455.
    The manual says that there is a 510V Battery Pack .
    I presume that means 510 volts , direct to the flash tube , of course I may be wrong .
    The 510V may mean something else .
    I searched the internet , Quantum does sell these type of Battery packs and they also have the cable to connect this particular flash .

The manual also mentioned a AC adaptor AD-26 to power up the flash .
    Any strobist using Sunpak out there ?

Rgs ,

Hmm, Sunpak had a few hammerheads IIRC, your Auto 455 which is sometimes known as the G4500 in some places. It should take SIX AA sized batteries as was common for flash units of this type in that era (six was very common, 8 cells appearing in some German designs and rarely, 12 cells), and usually, there would be many options like various AA cells (cluster pack/batt holder), AC/DC Adapter as well as external high powered packs.

The 510V you mention is most likely a high-voltage external power (BATTERY, NOT AC/DC)pack that gives you longer usage between batt changes, as well as faster recycling time.

I am not sure of the actual construction of that pack but chances are, it's a sealed unit with multi-cells inside it, unless it can be opened by users to change the cells inside.

You could actually Google 'Sunpak 510V battery pack' or something like that and there might be old user discussions regarding the pack, it's usage, maintanence and repair/construction.

However, you're dealing with really old packs and you have no idea what they have been through, their internal condition and any possible dangers involved in opening them up. Unless you find very specific details, I would suggest you give that pack a miss. Right now, I don't even know what sort of chemistry is inside.

Hi Worker Bee,

I saw my army mate used it for shooting for SAF during my army days and I thought what this wonderful flash could do that I got it after a long search in the market.

My consideration is mobility that the flash can do w/o power pack that won't compromise on lighting power and recycling time and it lasts me many rolls of film then with a single set of batteries.

My 2 cents worth!

Anyway nice to see folks still using the hammerhead flash in this present digital age!

Cheers!

Hmm ... seems TS dissappeared liao.

maybe got electrocuted while trying to DIY at 510v battery pack...

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    maybe got electrocuted while trying to DIY at 510v battery pack...
    rofl!
    evil

Quote Originally Posted by tainted View Post
    rofl!
    evil
    Now now Tainted, don't you go trying to wire up a 510W or 1KW batt pack to 'zap zap' yourself!

52 posts in four years plus, average one month one post, guess you have wait for another three weeks to see whether he will show up or not?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    52 posts in four years plus, average one month one post, guess you have wait for another three weeks to see whether he will show up or not?
    By that time Tainted's 1KW portable personal 'ZAPPER' run flat liao!

Now now Tainted, don't you go trying to wire up a 510W or 1KW batt pack to 'zap zap' yourself!
    haha I won't... maybe save up for quantum one day also for my flash

Quantum ZAP ftw!