Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auntie a newbies

Default Re: Auntie a newbies

Quote Originally Posted by MumSon View Post
    Thanks jlkk76,
    I did a lot of homework on how to use and what is the advantages of using DSLR. I got to know CS from hardwarezone forum. I was weighing pros and cons of buying new and 2nd hand set. I had tried to feel 450D and D90. Maybe DSLR always think of Nikon... Any shop recommend?
    u can always try the few reputable stores like CP, OP, MS, JO, AP, lord...

Welcome to CS....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

might not be a good idea to have NRIC number as icq number.. or is that a crazy coincidence the icq number looks like a singapore NRIC number? O_O"
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    might not be a good idea to have NRIC number as icq number.. or is that a crazy coincidence the icq number looks like a singapore NRIC number? O_O"
    yahor.....da jie...remove ur icq ctc...

Oops...Thanks

Ok, noted that you would like to shoot with a DSLR, btw can ask what type of photos you like to take? Street Candid, portrait, landscape, etc etc? Asking this helps limit the type of camera and equipment you might get and thus save some money. If you are not careful and fell into the BBB virus, you might spend alot more then you expected. Another thing is that you can view the photos in the critic area and learn alot about mistakes especially those commited by starter. After you have some confidence, you can post some of your best photo in the critic area and learn the mistakes you made. I suggest this because I personally think it's one of the easiest and fastest way to learn.

Lastly, if anyone is late out shooting can ask you along.
    Mon: Hei, its late time to go home
    Shooter: It's all right mom, I am with a MOM
    Joking

Blog Entries

Hello Auntie (sorry, I think I might be older than you), welcome to CS.

The D90 movie shooting implementation is not that great. If you move it fast you can see the Jell-o effect. In my view, the current PnS all take better movies than the D90. Why not keep the PnS handy for movies? For a D90, the used ones are just a couple of hundred less than new. If you really want a good deal, I would suggest getting a used D40, D40x or D60. The prices of all these have been dropping to almost a steal. They do take excellent pictures too. Do a search on Flickr and see what people have been doing with these 3 cameras. After you are familar with DSLR, you can hand over the D40/40x/60 to your son and you can upgrade as well. Or both of you can share the cameras, using the 40/40x/60 as a backup. So both of you can shoot at the same time. Isn't that sweeeeet? And if the newer camera is also Nikon, you can save so much on lenses and flashes and can buy a lot more! *dream* *dream* *dream*

Whatever route you choose to go, Enjoy!!

Just my 2 cents.

hehe, if you wanna be a cheapo like me, can go to camera shops to try all the diff kinds of models, canon, nikon, sony etc. then go to bns section to get a good 2nd hand deal with warranty.

Do think of being cheapo or kiasu. But now i rather stay put and wait till D500. Personally, prefer new D90. If i get D60 or 1000d 2 yrs later pass down to my son, might afraid he doesnt want it and he winds for new? hahaha... Till now, is not easy to get 2nd used set with reasonable quote price.
    Well, i like candid on my kids, maybe they portrait and landscape. Plan to invest 18-200 lens and 70-300 lens later. Are these lens good for my type of photos? Just to get D90 with kits 1st. Then snap and learn from u guys...

Oops! D5000.....

you are welcome to club1000d no matter what camera you are going to use. We are a learning group of photographers just like you =)

Blog Entries

For the uses you mentioned, the kit lens alone will be enough. Do not go into a lens buying rampage until you are familiar with the camera and know what you actually need. The kt of d90 with 18-105mm VR will give you effective 24mm-157mm (35mm equivalent). That will cover most of your needs especially with VR. I feel for your case, an external flash gun like SB-600 and a good diffuser is much more worthwhile than the 18-200mm. For family and landscape folks, how many times, seriously, do they zoom more than 150mm? Very seldom I say. If you take a lot of pictures of family, family events and kids, I strongly suggest you save that 1k meant for the 18-200, and buy a SB-600 flash and a AF-D 50mm f/1.8. And after that, you still have 400+ left over!

A DSLR will take good pictures. But only as good as the person behind it. Being "outdated" I honestly think is not that big of an issue. I have many friends still using D70, D50, D40 and and some (including my dad) are using the awesome but problematic Fuji S2 pro. They take excellent pictures. A couple of them are semi-pro too. I am using a D40x myself. It is a free one from my dad. I am not exactly a newbie too, have been taking photos with film, Superzoom prosumer cameras for a long time. And yes, I have not used the 'AUTO' or scene modes for many years now unless shooting on a small compact.

I have also recently seen and experienced some Gear Elitism. Other brothers please do not flame me but this is probably true with a handful of 'bad eggs'. Words like "Awww you only have a D60? I have D90/D300/D700!" or "Your D80 is outdated!" or "your D40 is cheap entry level trash!". Thing is, I have met professional photographers who have shot film all their lives and they will pull out their 6 megapixel D40. You have to see their pictures and you will stand in awe and reverence. But then again, do (and buy) what your heart tells you. Part of the excitement is buying the gear so feel free to go out and buy whatever that rocks your boat. Don't buy something and look back saying could've would've should've.

One last thing - Remember, you are not just buying a camera. You are investing in a system. If you decide to go the Nikon route, lenses flashes and other accessories are all usable with Nikon digi cam releases at least quite a number of years into the future. Likewise for Canon, Sony and other DSLR brands.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Draken413o View Post
    you are welcome to club1000d no matter what camera you are going to use. We are a learning group of photographers just like you =)
    Draken, I would love to learn from you. Your skill very very the power!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Draken, I would love to learn from you. Your skill very very the power!
    sure, but I'm a beginner also.. =) hit me up on msn! Draken4130@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot for all warm welcomes.... U guys are great! Keep it up! This is the spirit.... gambate!

No matter what system that i m gonna look into, I m so glad that eveyone here to give your point of views. I will value the pros and cons in my purchase. But I m so happy u guys gave a good info for a slow leaner newbie like me....

Thanks bro daredevil123 for your info, cos from there i will save a big sum.

Is a joy to see my kids grow, so taking their photos is really fun. Soon, i will try to load some photos up and learn better skill from u guys....

Quote Originally Posted by MumSon View Post
    Thanks a lot for all warm welcomes.... U guys are great! Keep it up! This is the spirit.... gambate!

No matter what system that i m gonna look into, I m so glad that eveyone here to give your point of views. I will value the pros and cons in my purchase. But I m so happy u guys gave a good info for a slow leaner newbie like me....

Thanks bro daredevil123 for your info, cos from there i will save a big sum.

Is a joy to see my kids grow, so taking their photos is really fun. Soon, i will try to load some photos up and learn better skill from u guys....
    decided le mah? remember.... compare the weight of the cam first if u want something light...

Just get the one that feels best!

All the DSLRs out there are actual great stuff. So, no worries about quality.

Hello MumSon, ask within your family members if they have any film cameras (working or not working).
    If they do have it, have it cleaned and serviced and you can start photography with film!

Film cameras will always outlast digital cameras, and have a great "resolution" of up to 25 megapixels (if you have the right film scanner haha).
    Film is also fun because you cannot see what you're going to get until you develop the roll of film . Anticipation is fun.
    You can get a good cheap SLR for S$50-100 or higher end ones at S$600-1000.

But do take note that film costs money and it will add up over time.
    I don't shoot colour film but one colour roll would cost about $5 and developing at photo labs would be aout $4-5/roll and around S$0.40 for one 4R print.

Loading film, storing film, and everything is quite a hassle. If you just want to point and shoot and see results, just get a good condition entry level dSLR like Nikon D60 or Canon 450D.

P.S.: Yes, people still shoot film. Slides have beautiful colour saturation, black and white gives the most awesome timeless feel like it would last an eternity and colour negatives also last quite long before the colour starts to fade
    Last edited by Yoricko; 23rd April 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Yoricko! POWER!! Film is timeless. There is a certain feeling to film photography that brings a certain warm feeling. Digital pictures are getting sharper and sharper. People doing PP keep doing unsharp mask making it even sharper. But the grain of film is oh so timeless. And EcktaChrome will forever have a place in my heart!!

Wow, lousy me cant bare to snap using film camera. I do have a good compact film workable cam, but now is in my museum. To pay for film and developing photos can cost a big boom..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast