Thread: Too much Photoshop? Judge for yourself

Arrow Too much Photoshop? Judge for yourself

Three photographers were told to deliver their RAW-files for closer inspection, when the three judges in January were assembled to select the winners in Picture of The Year in Denmark. This is the first time in the competition's 35-year history that it has happened. One of the photographers, Klavs Bo Christensen, has accepted to show his RAW-files for the readers of pressefotografforbundet.dk. You can also hear a recording of the conversion between the judges about the photographer's story.

http://www.pressefotografforbundet.d...x.php?id=11708

Default Re: Too much Photoshop? Judge for yourself

v good use of photoshop i say. that man is an artist in making the colours pop out so vividly.

This again? I thought this popped up like 5 or 6 times already!!!

And yes, as a photojournalist, he should document reality, cold hard facts. Not over-sell drama.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    v good use of photoshop i say. that man is an artist in making the colours pop out so vividly.

i don't really like it though, so overdone

after result should be a digital painting, rather than a photograph, it is so subtracted from reality, even if you do not know what the original raw file looks like

I definitely think this overusage of photoshop is just to cover up the bad exposure that has been made.

Not that I'm trying to say my photos are good, but just look at the original RAWs!

Definitely too much photoshop.

they look like hdr liao...def too much for photo journalism.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't really like it though, so overdone

after result should be a digital painting, rather than a photograph, it is so subtracted from reality, even if you do not know what the original raw file looks like
    there's a good discussion here...
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...oshopping.html

vince123123
    Guests

I think a review of the rules of contest should be done before judgments given.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I think a review of the rules of contest should be done before judgments given.
    a photo contest judge shares his views; (from the link above)

"Mike,

I have to agree with many of the comments here that we seem to have a double standard in photojournalism, between what we expect and accept in B&W and what we think is "excessive" in color.

In the chemical darkroom era we photojournalists did robust manipulation in B&W. It was the norm across the industry and it was expected that a really good photojournalist could pull off a great print. (I won't even get into the paint table where we added whites of eyes.) If we did not do as much manipulation in color it was simply because it was beyond our capabilities in a simple newspaper setting.

Looking at the images under consideration here I find the correction made in the aerial image perfectly acceptable. The other images are a bit out there (well, verging on weird) but not fundamentally untrue. If I were judging this contest I'd be inclined to simply leave them in the contest and then not vote for them. (Contest winners often set the norm for what everybody shoots next year so just make sure the overblown stuff doesn't win.)

Finally, let me offer this. I was once judging a major contest when questions arose about the veracity of some of the photos entered by one of the most illustrious documentary photographers of our times. One of the judges urged that if there was even the "suggestion" that something was wrong (true or not), then the images should be excluded from the contest, for the sake of the integrity and reputation of the contest. (The issues were of subject manipulation and posing, not graphic manipulation.) This photographer was about to be ejected and with that would have come a black eye which would have been very difficult to overcome, a blot on an otherwise illustrious career.

Several of us objected. We urged investigation into the facts. The contest ground to a halt while we waited for phone calls and clarification. In the end it was made clear that the photographer had done nothing wrong, had not misrepresented anything. That photographer won the contest.

What would the photographic world have lost if we had followed that first righteous impulse? A career blighted or ruined?

My point is this. Ejecting someone from a contest is a little like going nuclear. The correct response would probably have been for the judges to get together and appoint someone to call up the photographer after the contest and say, "You're a good photographer but you didn't win because your images were over the top. Tone it down."

Any number of people have done similar things for me in my career. I thank each and every one of them. (And no, I'm not going to confess my particular sins.)

Jim Richardson"

Anyway, I feel this discussion is better suited to "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" rather than Kopitiam.

Arrow Re: Too much Photoshop? Judge for yourself

I'm not sure anymore as it looks like Kopitiam now pow ka leow all the topics from A to z.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Anyway, I feel this discussion is better suited to "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" rather than Kopitiam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    This again? I thought this popped up like 5 or 6 times already!!!

And yes, as a photojournalist, he should document reality, cold hard facts. Not over-sell drama.
    You should have seen journalistic pics in the past (and many also won contest this way), with dark skies or foregrounds, with overly done dodging just to focus the eye to the subject, all these were actually much more manipulation (not to say that black and white is already not the real world as we see it, we see in colour remember?)......much more manipulation of images in the days before photoshop in journalistic images, and they were all condoned

HS