Thread: Mobile PC

Default Mobile PC

Any recommendations? Hope to keep it within 700 bucks. Most importantly, able to run my ms word oh, and not slow PLEASE.

Default Re: Mobile PC

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    Any recommendations? Hope to keep it within 700 bucks. Most importantly, able to run my ms word oh, and not slow PLEASE.
    Most UMPC run on atom 1.6ghz. It's not very fast, neither slow. Depends on the programs you run. MS word should run fine. Look for a 1GB RAM model. The RAM will help very much.

Take a look at Asus or Acer. Value for money. Otherwise look at Dell or HP.

GMAN

1.6Ghz is the current industry standard processor for UMPCs. Ram is not an issue. Can always buy a 1GB stick and put it in yourself. OS is important. Some offer Linux based while some provide Windows XP. I'll go for the XP based ones as its tried and tested and most programmes that we run have no problems on XP.

On the other hand, you can get a Linux one for a cheaper price and install XP yourself. Screen size and keyboard size are also important factors. No point get a UMPC and have to squint at the text or having to backspace 2 or 3 times for every word that you type.

Go down to Funan to walk walk see see. Don't commit yet, just let the sales person that you're looking for a UMPC and your budget is max $700. See wad they have to say and get a feel of the PC for yourself. I won't recommend Sim Lim. I think sometimes the sales people there are too aggressive.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    Most UMPC run on atom 1.6ghz. It's not very fast, neither slow. Depends on the programs you run. MS word should run fine. Look for a 1GB RAM model. The RAM will help very much.

Take a look at Asus or Acer. Value for money. Otherwise look at Dell or HP.

GMAN
    Got mom a Asus 1000HE, so far so good, came with 2GB DDR2 800 ram (max out since only 1 ram slot)

9.5hour usage time. with Windows XP UMPC (dunno y got this special version)

Due to the battery, its heavier than my 5 year nephew's EEE 8G, slightly bigger too. But confirm lighter, slimmer, smaller than my 12.1" tablet PC.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Got mom a Asus 1000HE, so far so good, came with 2GB DDR2 800 ram (max out since only 1 ram slot)

9.5hour usage time. with Windows XP UMPC (dunno y got this special version)

Due to the battery, its heavier than my 5 year nephew's EEE 8G, slightly bigger too. But confirm lighter, slimmer, smaller than my 12.1" tablet PC.
    5 year nephew has an EEE. Gosh. Nice.

GMAN

yeah.. kids nowadays. Good life. haha. Was quite tempted to get one for fun. but now money all pump into new desktop.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    yeah.. kids nowadays. Good life. haha. Was quite tempted to get one for fun. but now money all pump into new desktop.
    Mine is all money pumped to new imac 24". My computer is dying.

GMAN

iMac 24" ? Sweeeet!
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr